General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chocolate Milk Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-31 4:16 PM

User image

Subject: Chocolate Milk
Whats the deal with chocolate milk? Is this some special milk or any off the shelf variety?

Thanks

2014-08-31 4:58 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Subject: RE: Chocolate Milk
I have wondered something similar, in that who is pushing/funding the campaign. I think its something like American Dairy farmers. So, to answer your question, I think its any old chocolate milk, doesn't have to be any special kind. They do hand out some brand at certain races, not sure what kind, but don't think its anything special added.
2014-08-31 5:26 PM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

The protein in milk is quickly absorbed by the body and thus makes it a good post workout drink. The chocolate part I think is good because of the carbs. You want carbs and protein right after a workout. I remember seeing some research on how chocolate is good for you in general (think it was the coca in it, which means dark chocolate is better for you). Either way, it's a cheap good after workout drink. Drink it while eating a banana and you'll have a great snack + drink. I switched to Ensure/protein powder drinks though since I'm on an avoid dairy streak right now.
2014-08-31 5:38 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

There's nothing magical about chocolate milk.  It's just a convenient and tasty way to ingest nutrition during the post-workout metabolic window (ideally 15-30 minutes after training) that is close to optimum for recovery.  In general, a combination of carbohydrates and protein in a ratio of 3:1 to 4:1 carbs to protein is what endurance athletes should strive for.  Low fat chocolate milk is in that range.

2014-08-31 6:26 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Originally posted by TriMyBest

There's nothing magical about chocolate milk.  It's just a convenient and tasty way to ingest nutrition during the post-workout metabolic window (ideally 15-30 minutes after training) that is close to optimum for recovery.  In general, a combination of carbohydrates and protein in a ratio of 3:1 to 4:1 carbs to protein is what endurance athletes should strive for.  Low fat chocolate milk is in that range.

This.

There was a study a few years ago that showed that chocolate milk as a recovery drink was as good as the commercial recovery drinks. Then the milk companies got on the marketing bandwagon and started promoting it-- even sponsoring athletes to promote it using social media. This wasn't just in the US, but in Canada too. (I knew a guy who was posting on twitter using the handle "poweredbychocolatemilk" and would post pictures of himself drinking chocolate milk after runs-- and yes, he was getting paid to do it.)
2014-09-01 9:16 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

New user
Key West
All I know is that after my HIM and my last marathon drinking chocolate milk right away made me feel so much better. But, I agree, nothing magical other than the nutritional combo. Funny thing is I don't even drink cow's milk anymore (only Almond and Soy in a pinch), but I love it after a really long tough race.

2014-09-01 12:04 PM
in reply to: #5045484

User image

Durham, North Carolina
What about almond milk? I know nothing about it but we think our kid has a dairy allergy so we are going to switch over to that.
2014-09-01 10:52 PM
in reply to: Lupy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Originally posted by Lupy What about almond milk? I know nothing about it but we think our kid has a dairy allergy so we are going to switch over to that.

I like almond milk and my wife makes it regularly but it lacks the carbs and protein you want after a race or long workout (only 40calories per 250ml).  You'd have to drink 8 cups of Almond milk to get the protein of one cup of milk.  I really enjoy a good cold chocolate milk after every event.  The colder the better.

2014-09-02 3:41 PM

User image

Originally posted by jennifer_runs
This.

There was a study a few years ago that showed that chocolate milk as a recovery drink was as good as the commercial recovery drinks. Then the milk companies got on the marketing bandwagon and started promoting it-- even sponsoring athletes to promote it using social media.

Source? The first study I know of was partially sponsered by dairy farmers, and I don't know if that's ever changed. This was 8 years ago.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/chocolate-milk-the-new-sports-drink/

2014-09-02 6:08 PM
in reply to: chris948

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Originally posted by chris948

This.

There was a study a few years ago that showed that chocolate milk as a recovery drink was as good as the commercial recovery drinks. Then the milk companies got on the marketing bandwagon and started promoting it-- even sponsoring athletes to promote it using social media.

Source? The first study I know of was partially sponsered by dairy farmers, and I don't know if that's ever changed. This was 8 years ago.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/chocolate-milk-the-new-sports-drink/

http://oakbrooksc.com/docs/stager_chocmilk_study.pdf
http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/21904247
more... http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,38&q=chocolate+mil...
2014-09-03 12:47 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

The first one says

"This study was supported, in part, by the Dairy and Nutrition Council, Inc."

Again, this is why it's important to check your sources. Anybody can google anything, that doesn't exactly make it reputable.

I can't read the full text on the 2nd one.

2014-09-03 1:01 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by TriMyBest

This. There was a study a few years ago that showed that chocolate milk as a recovery drink was as good as the commercial recovery drinks. Then the milk companies got on the marketing bandwagon and started promoting it-- even sponsoring athletes to promote it using social media. This wasn't just in the US, but in Canada too. (I knew a guy who was posting on twitter using the handle "poweredbychocolatemilk" and would post pictures of himself drinking chocolate milk after runs-- and yes, he was getting paid to do it.)

Chocolate milk - ie the Dairy Farmers even sponsor a whole tri series here in Ontario.  Excellent organization and great drink to have on hand right after a race!  I did their half race in Welland and got a nice big 500mL chocolate milk at the end.

http://www.multisportcanada.com/ 

2014-09-03 1:37 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by dfroelich http://oakbrooksc.com/docs/stager_chocmilk_study.pdfhttp://europepmc.org/abstract/med/21904247 more... http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,38&q=choco...
The first one says "This study was supported, in part, by the Dairy and Nutrition Council, Inc." Again, this is why it's important to check your sources. Anybody can google anything, that doesn't exactly make it reputable. I can't read the full text on the 2nd one.

Most of these studies were done after some 'recovery drink' makers touted that their 4:1 ratio was ideal for recovery (most of those sudies, that I know of, were funded directly by the manufacturers of those drinks).  It was athletes who noticed that chocolate milk had a similar ratio and made the (not illogical) jump that it might be 'just as good'.  Even if the milk industry partially funded all these studies does not mean you should simply dismiss them (though it's good thing to know).  Basically, what all the studies (that I have seen) appear to show is that recovery is best achieved through a combination of carbs and protein.  If convenience is a factor, then a packaged recovery drink or chocolate milk seem like reasonable options.  The latter is typically much cheaper and is the only one of the two I use.  That said, you can actually eat 'real' food, too, and achieve similar results.  That's my personal preference most of the time.  As stated toward the top of the thread--nothing magical.  It's just a form of nutrition.

2014-09-03 3:51 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Thanks everyone. Very helpful.

2014-09-03 4:31 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
I couldn't get the second one either, but several more down that list were freely available (or found with a little digging).

Cockburn - drink was provided by a company, but no other funding..."In conclusion, milk and milk-based protein–CHO drinks
consumed immediately after resistance-based eccentric muscle-damaging exercise lead to the attenuation of EIMD 48 h later"
Pritchett - no apparent influences..."In conclusion, milk and milk-based protein–CHO drinks consumed immediately after resistance-based eccentric
muscle-damaging exercise lead to the attenuation of EIMD 48 h later"
Roy - was flown out to give a talk about the research (in Costa Rica!). While that is certainly receiving some benefit...no one spends weeks/months writing up a review just for a conference "There is growing scientific evidence to support the use of low-fat milk following exercise by both individuals and athletes who habitually undertake strength or endurance training. There is data which suggests that fat free milk is as effective as, and possibly even more effective than, commercially available sports drinks at promoting recovery from strength and endurance exercise. Further work is required to better understand the physiological mechanisms by which milk exerts its actions following exercise and training. Milk also has the added benefit of providing additional nutrients and vitamins that are not present in commercial sports drinks. In conclusion, fat free milk is a safe and effective post-exercise beverage that has been shown to promote recovery from exercise and should be considered as a viable alternative to commercial sports drinks by lactose tolerant individuals."

So, yes, certainly the funding agencies can shed doubt on the research, but there are plenty of studies that are are independently funded and still show good proof of chocolate milk as a good recovery drink option. Just because the others work for "the man", it doesn't mean their findings aren't sound!
2014-09-03 4:38 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

It's a simple way of replacing calories, it's generally considered good for you, and it tastes good.

I would imagine very little of your workouts require replacing calories unless your already at race weight.

2014-09-03 4:59 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

The first one says

"This study was supported, in part, by the Dairy and Nutrition Council, Inc."

Again, this is why it's important to check your sources. Anybody can google anything, that doesn't exactly make it reputable.

I can't read the full text on the 2nd one.

Of course, it is also important to understand that just because research is supported by a given organization doesn't mean the research will necessarily be slanted. Considering sources of funding is important but is only one (small) part of reading and understanding research.

Shane
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chocolate Milk Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Chocolate Milk or Chocolate Soy Milk for Recovery Pages: 1 2

Started by danjstark
Views: 8926 Posts: 38

2010-12-31 12:16 PM zitamezei

Chocolate milk v. Chocolate soy milk Pages: 1 2

Started by JBrashear
Views: 2806 Posts: 47

2010-02-02 5:17 PM Kido

Represent your recovery drink (styles of chocolate milk) Pages: 1 2

Started by TexTriGuy
Views: 3051 Posts: 40

2009-04-28 2:04 PM kcovert1

Endurox, Powerbar Recovery or Chocolate Milk?

Started by danceswithducks
Views: 2186 Posts: 16

2007-07-04 5:04 AM tri-umph

Mmmmmmmm chocolate milk!

Started by FentressJET
Views: 872 Posts: 2

2006-10-15 12:59 AM tkbslc
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 23, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Lose weight by eating chocolate for breakfast. Refuel after your workouts not with a sports drink, but instead with chocolate milk.

date : August 10, 2010
comments : 3
Is chocolate healthy? Is it little more than an alluring form of refined sugar, saturated fat and empty calories? Or does chocolate have positive qualities to help athletes?
date : May 24, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussion on chocolate milk for recovery after workouts and Ironman bike fueling.

date : December 12, 2009
If you are looking for a simple, yet special, gift for your running buddy, teammate, or active friend, enjoy making one of these recipes that will be sure to please any hungry athlete.
date : October 29, 2008
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.

date : August 8, 2008
Discussion on nutrition to lose weight while training for sprints, chocolate milk for recovery, daily calorie breakdown, fruits and bike nutrition.