USA Productions
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 41m 12s
Overall Rank = 201/492
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 27/56
Pre-race routine:

Ate big breakfast day before and tapered eating. Munched on pretzels and fig newtons all day. Drank lots of water and gatorade. Work up at 1am to eat apple sause and a banana with some protein powder. Back to sleep until 4:15am. Packed up the car and took off. Made the venue around 5:15am.
Event warmup:

Warmed up a little beforehand. Not much though. Might want to do more warmup next time as my first 200 yds seemed a bit off. Ate a GU before I jumped in water.
Swim
  • 24m 1s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Lined up next to Eric. Didn't get comfortable until after 2nd buoy. Fastest time so far. Swimming with the current helped a lot. I felt like I sighted really well this time. I had some other swimmers intersecting with me so I either had to fall back or speed up to avoid them. Not too bad, but I felt that I navigated well. After the 2nd bouy, it was smooth swimming at a very fast clip all the way in. The exit was crowded, rocky, and unstable and amazingly I got there right behind Eric. He was pulled up by the volunteers and I was next. Started running with no shoes to T1. I didn't miss the shoes at all. Running barefoot not a problem.
What would you do differently?:

Try lining up a little behind the really fast guys and see if they can pull me a bit. I can't keep up but if I can get a free ride to the first bouy, why not.
Transition 1
  • 05m 41s
Comments:

Took like 5 minutes to get to T1. Quarter mile over the pedestrian bridge. Ran with suit half way off. Felt fine. Race cap, goggles in suit sleeve. Lost my ear plugs though. Got to my bike, and was quick on the removal of the suit and putting on sunglasses and helmet. Got my bike and make my way out pretty quick. Glad I practiced with feet on the shoes because I was able to get into my shoes very quickly once on the bike. Only thing that bothered me was that the shoe straps would not stay put. Need to figure that out. It was loose and banging on the bike almost the whole ride.
Bike
  • 1h 16m
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.62 mile/hr
Comments:

Went hard like I would during our Saturday rides. Felt good although right hamstring felt a little crampy toward the end. Low back got tired after first loop. Need to spend more time in aero during training. Had to be driving very defensively. One guy almost took me out when he swung out to the right in prep for a left turn. He must not have see me on his right. I slowed and swerved a bit to avoid him. Lots of riders in the left side of the lane even though they were not passing. Had to yell "on your left" a lot. Took a wrong right turn at one point. Lucky I heard the volunteer call me back and I turned around. Good avg cadence and my norm power was around 182. Not bad for current fitness level.

Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Got out of shoes a few blocks before T2. Stopped got off and jogged to rack. Went to rack bike and knocked a neighbor bike off the rack so I lost some time catching his bike and putting on the rack. I lost my balance a bit during that so I had to regain my footing and then get back to putting on my shoes. Went sockless, grabbed bib, hat, garmin and off I went..

Move the neighbor bike over so I don't knock it over I guess.
Run
  • 53m 53s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Garmin went dead almost immediately... I must've left it on since the beginning of the race. I do need to get a new battery since it does not last more than 2.5 hours while "on".

Re think how I go sockless. I started to get hot spots on the balls of my feet. Ended up with minor blisters, none that broke, but they were a little bothersome. Maybe train sockless a bit before the race.

Pace was ok given I have not been doing any threshold or speed work.

Train sockless a bit more.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for 10 minutes or so.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training.

Last updated: 2014-06-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:01 | 1640 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/56
Overall: 0/492
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:41
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:16:00 | 24.85 miles | 19.62 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Lots of bumps, potholes, train tracks to cross. Many turns. Cops directing traffic sometimes letting cars go too soon causing me to slow down. Crowded course especially 2nd loop.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 89
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:53 | 06.2 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-08-31 4:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Subject: Oakland International Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oakland International Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

San Diego International Triathlon - International

Started by joker70
Views: 1433 Posts: 1

2009-06-30 6:50 PM joker70

San Diego International Triathlon - International Course

Started by cjhild
Views: 2381 Posts: 3

2009-07-05 6:38 AM BabsVa

Started by julioyadriana
Views: 1648 Posts: 1

2009-06-28 2:39 PM julioyadriana

Started by seakiteair
Views: 1676 Posts: 1

2009-06-28 12:57 PM seakiteair

Started by Scottt
Views: 1673 Posts: 2

2007-06-27 11:49 AM KellyM
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.