General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Starting with a Sprint (or 3) in Oct Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-01 1:22 AM

Subject: Starting with a Sprint (or 3) in Oct
Hi Everyone!

I'm Meredith, 29yo from the LA area. I decided earlier this summer, that I needed a new challenge and the SPRINT TRI is where I am starting. This is my first attempt at any type of competition. Although I am fairly fit, my training thus far has been slightly sporadic. I've been running about 5K twice a week. Once a week at the gym I do a swim, bike, run workout (is that called a BRICK?) As well as some Strength training and HIIT. I know there are lots of beginner training programs to choose from and I plan to increase my training until my race in 6 weeks. Hopefully I'll be ready.

What I'm concerned about (more than the physicality of it) is all the details!

Wetsuit: Should I buy a race suit or can i use a surf one? How do you change on race day? foo I need special race clothes?
Bike: My bike is just a mountain bike, but for my first race is that ok? Or should I rent?
Nutrition: What should I have on hand during the race? And how do I store it?

I am so motivated for my first race season, I might even try to do 3 Sprint tri's that are each one week apart from each other! I know that sounds ambitious, so realistically, how much time for recovery do I need to give? and Any tips for getting back out there as soon as possible?

I know that is a lot for one post, but I am so new to this-- I know absolutely nothing. Any and all advice is appreciated

I am So grateful already to find such a supportive community for beginner Triathletes. Thank you

2014-09-01 8:21 PM
in reply to: merdizie

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: RE: Starting with a Sprint (or 3) in Oct
Originally posted by merdizie

Hi Everyone!

I'm Meredith, 29yo from the LA area. I decided earlier this summer, that I needed a new challenge and the SPRINT TRI is where I am starting. This is my first attempt at any type of competition. Although I am fairly fit, my training thus far has been slightly sporadic. I've been running about 5K twice a week. Once a week at the gym I do a swim, bike, run workout (is that called a BRICK?) As well as some Strength training and HIIT. I know there are lots of beginner training programs to choose from and I plan to increase my training until my race in 6 weeks. Hopefully I'll be ready.

What I'm concerned about (more than the physicality of it) is all the details!

Wetsuit: Should I buy a race suit or can i use a surf one? How do you change on race day? foo I need special race clothes?
Bike: My bike is just a mountain bike, but for my first race is that ok? Or should I rent?
Nutrition: What should I have on hand during the race? And how do I store it?

I am so motivated for my first race season, I might even try to do 3 Sprint tri's that are each one week apart from each other! I know that sounds ambitious, so realistically, how much time for recovery do I need to give? and Any tips for getting back out there as soon as possible?

I know that is a lot for one post, but I am so new to this-- I know absolutely nothing. Any and all advice is appreciated

I am So grateful already to find such a supportive community for beginner Triathletes. Thank you

Welcome to the sport...it sure is a great way to get and stay fit. You might get more answers to your specific questions in the general forum. Here's my take on your queries:

Wetsuit - a surf wetsuit will not work for triathlon. It will slow you down as it is not slick and floaty like a tri wetsuit. You don't really need a wetsuit at all, unless the water is really really cold like 60 degrees. I'd skip it, esp for short spint races.

Bike - mountain bike is fine for first season. That is what I did (I even passed some people with fancy bikes because my engine was good, hehehe). My second season I was sure I loved the sport, so did go out and buy a nice bike for myself.

Nutrition - lots to learn here. For a sprint tri, you don't really need too much since it's a short race. Also, they will have water on the run, but no water on bike, and no gels on the race course. Depending on heat, they may offer an electrolyte beverage. Definitely you need a water bottle on your bike. Gels work great for me for calories during the race (But do try them in training first to make sure your stomach likes them). For sprint tris, I eat something like a bagel with peanut butter 2 hours before race, a gel 45 min before race, another gel 10 min before race, a gel at end of bike, and sometimes carry one on the run to take during last 10 minutes (optional).

Good luck!!!

Carol
2014-09-02 2:26 AM
in reply to: keyone

Subject: RE: Starting with a Sprint (or 3) in Oct
Thank you Carol for your reply. It is very helpful and gives me a bit more direction in preparing.

Mer
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Starting with a Sprint (or 3) in Oct Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Started by doing relays last year, did my first sprint this year

Started by Corncub
Views: 674 Posts: 2

2010-10-23 9:12 PM mmakaryk

First tri in Oct if I can find a carpool

Started by skijour
Views: 557 Posts: 4

2006-08-08 7:12 PM stephen strange

Just started to train for 1st tri sprint

Started by sportsncancun
Views: 730 Posts: 9

2006-06-10 8:19 PM dezz17

Hi! Just started training for my first sprint

Started by Karens123
Views: 794 Posts: 13

2006-05-04 10:08 PM Tri-It

Training for first tri Oct 3rd (sprint)

Started by Brennan6
Views: 576 Posts: 7

2004-08-01 12:14 PM Brennan6
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.

date : June 21, 2006
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.
date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 2
My main concern is obviously the running but my priority is weight loss. I really need any advice on how to get ready.

date : July 17, 2005
author : Michael
Why is it so hard to start over after an extended leave from the sport. When it comes to training we can't live in our glory days!
date : February 28, 2005
author : rautorino
Does it matter how fast you go? Does it matter if you win? No. It only matters that you tri your best and smile when you cross the finish line.

date : August 29, 2004
comments : 1
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.