General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf cramp in wetsuit only? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-01 11:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Subject: Calf cramp in wetsuit only?
Hey! I just completed my 4th or so Olympic yesterday and got a new PR. Not by much, but still was pretty happy about it. My swim went really well (time-wise) and wanted to ask a question of folks here. During my training swims I never wore a wetsuit at all. I never had any cramps while doing sessions up to 2500 yds. Yet, during the race, I did wear a wetsuit and I got a bad calf cramp very close to the end. In fact, just 50 yds or so to the exit. I wonder if wearing the wetsuit, the tightness of it around my body, legs, might have contributed. I can't think of anything other variable except maybe the environment being different (ie. race conditions). The water was not cold at all and felt like the pool as far as temp is concerned.

Any thoughts about that? Does this happen to any of you?

EP

2014-09-01 1:42 PM
in reply to: ecpasos

User image

Subject: RE: Calf cramp in wetsuit only?
I would expect it more in hamstrings than calves, but it's pretty common to cramp up in open water if you only practice in a pool. Sighting is a different stress on muscles that you don't exercise when there is a big black line below you.
2014-09-01 4:01 PM

User image

Kenmore, Washington
This happened to me at mu last triathlon. 11 miles biking to the race + warm lake + full wetsuit = massive cramps, even though I was swimming easy and relaxed.
2014-09-01 4:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
yes I get calf cramps when I swim in a wetsuit. My guess is that I train very little IN the wetsuit, and my legs aren't used to the compression.

the cramps are fairly minor, and have not caused a problem in completing a race however.

Edited by metafizx 2014-09-01 4:55 PM
2014-09-01 4:57 PM

If you trained without a wetsuit I could see the potential for cramping with one. Basically, when you wear a wetsuit your entire body position is changed, and this can lead to numerous negative consequences.

I'm just speculating here, but if you kick from the knee you are exerting a lot more force than you are used to with your lower legs. Consider that most wetsuits are designed with more buoyancy in the lower legs to save the legs for the bike and run (and to compensate for the "poor" body position of most triathletes who are late onset swimmers) and you will see why kicking in your wetsuit causes extra strain on your legs. With the wetsuit you are pushing down against the resistance the added buoyancy of the suit creates. Going at race pace against previously unencountered resistance is a recipe for fatigue, cramps, and worse.

The bottom line is that the adage "nothing new on race day" applies to equipment such as wetsuits. Swimming in a wetsuit can be a great, but only if you have trained to use one properly and given your body time to adapt.

Good luck in your next event and congrats on the new PR!
2014-09-02 2:30 PM
in reply to: rss_joey

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Thanks for the replies. I can see how adding the wetsuit to some training swims will potentially eliminate the problem. Thanks again!

2014-09-02 3:00 PM

User image

Exton, PA
Cramps in the calf are common in swimming, when swimming hard. Chances are you were pushing harder in the race then you usually do in practice which caused the cramp.

I don't think the compression of the wet suit was the problem.
2014-09-02 6:41 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Originally posted by mike761

Cramps in the calf are common in swimming, when swimming hard. Chances are you were pushing harder in the race then you usually do in practice which caused the cramp.

I don't think the compression of the wet suit was the problem.

That very well could be the cause too.
2014-09-02 10:26 PM

User image

Pro

happens to me as well.  I've always figured that it was because I didn't kick as much in the wetsuit (since you don't have to?).  

2014-09-03 8:43 AM

User image

Miami
Same here. I only used a wetsuit a couple of times when I raced outside South Florida and I also got cramps in my calf/calves. Closer to 1.2 miles, I start cramping a lot, it wasn't that bad for the HIM distance, but it was terrible for the IM!

I had no idea why I cramped though...
2014-09-03 11:05 AM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I had the same issue at my IM this year. I attributed it to the cold water and very rough water conditions. Who knows, could have been the suit too although I did train in it 8-10 times before the race. 

2014-09-04 11:43 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
I posted this a few years ago in a similar discussion......

Dave Scott gave part of the athlete briefing at the 2010 Silverman race and talked about "charlie-horse" style calf cramps, which is what I've gotten in the past. Dave recommended "dorsi-flexing" your feet several times throughout the swim portion of the race to prevent calf cramping. This is stretching your foot by bringing your toes upward, toward your shin.....kind of the opposite of what most of us do with our toes while we're swimming. The extra drag does slow you down, but only for the few seconds it takes to do the stretch.

I've gotten leg cramps before on both IM and HIM distance swims and at the pool. Since I heard Dave give this advice, I've done these stretches during all my longer OWS's and been cramp free. I do the stretch in both feet at the same time, about once every 15 minutes. Don't know for sure if it's a cause and effect relationship or just coincidence, but I tend to belive almost anything Dave Scott says, after all, he is THE MAN. When I do the stretchs, I try and hold them for 10-20 seconds.

2014-09-04 5:01 PM
in reply to: #5045664

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Hmm. Thanks for that bit of advice!
2014-09-05 8:18 AM
in reply to: g_shotts

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by g_shotts

I posted this a few years ago in a similar discussion......

Dave Scott gave part of the athlete briefing at the 2010 Silverman race and talked about "charlie-horse" style calf cramps, which is what I've gotten in the past. Dave recommended "dorsi-flexing" your feet several times throughout the swim portion of the race to prevent calf cramping. This is stretching your foot by bringing your toes upward, toward your shin.....kind of the opposite of what most of us do with our toes while we're swimming. The extra drag does slow you down, but only for the few seconds it takes to do the stretch.

I've gotten leg cramps before on both IM and HIM distance swims and at the pool. Since I heard Dave give this advice, I've done these stretches during all my longer OWS's and been cramp free. I do the stretch in both feet at the same time, about once every 15 minutes. Don't know for sure if it's a cause and effect relationship or just coincidence, but I tend to belive almost anything Dave Scott says, after all, he is THE MAN. When I do the stretchs, I try and hold them for 10-20 seconds.

This will work, or you can do more kick sets during practice.

The calf cramps will happen to anyone when they push hard in the swim. If you develop a strong kick, you can back off your kick in a wetsuit legal swim and not worry about these cramps.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf cramp in wetsuit only? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tight wetsuit cause calf cramps?

Started by Oldteen
Views: 5107 Posts: 5

2013-08-04 11:19 PM simpsonbo

CRAMP.....CRAMP......CRAMP.....

Started by riser
Views: 1165 Posts: 4

2004-11-07 9:59 PM NoisyD

Killer Calf Cramp and Recovery

Started by JTK
Views: 2056 Posts: 9

2004-08-26 4:19 PM madkat

Calf Cramps

Started by Lee
Views: 947 Posts: 9

2004-07-26 9:41 PM keepitup

Calf Cramps

Started by gardnjg
Views: 1009 Posts: 5

2004-04-25 8:19 AM bandd
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 30, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
As I was pulling my wetsuit off while standing in the water, my left calf cramped such that my foot was pointed, the muscle was rock hard, and I could not pull my foot out of point for 30 seconds.

date : August 5, 2010
comments : 4
Calf pain can have multiple causes. In your case, the most likely cause seems to be from a calf muscle strain. If you have had Achilles problems you can be predisposed to a calf injury.
date : August 22, 2009
I'm experiencing tightness and pain in my calf muscles including my left achilles tendon. The tendons seem to really stiffen when sitting or sleeping. I'm not doing anything new.

date : January 5, 2009
I have a pain deep in my calf about five inches below the knee. A sports doctor did not feel anything wrong in the muscle, and there was no bruising. The tender spot can still be felt on massage.
date : September 17, 2007
Muscle cramps occur in 67% of triathletes. This article discusses several theories on the causes of cramps and what to do if you get one and how to prevent cramps.

date : September 13, 2007
I woke up with a huge painful cramp in my right calf. I do not think I was dehydrated. Can you offer clarity on what may have happened? Should I back off tomorrow's workout?
date : June 21, 2006
author : Team BT
Standing Calf Raises strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : April 9, 2005
comments : 1
I am training for my first IM and lately I have been getting cramps in my calves. I am a heavy salt sweater and I was wondering if that has anything to do with it?