HCM Foundation - Saucon Rail Trail 10K
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 49m 50s
Overall Rank = 65/300
Age Group = M-40-44
Age Group Rank = 13/27
Pre-race routine:

Got up at my normal Monday time and took out and fed the dogs, then put them away and drove to the race about a 50 min drive. Had 2 vitamin waters and a pack of Belvita for breakfast. Got there registered, got my shirt and socks, went back to the car, visited the bathroom before the final rush, and found a spot for my key in my shoe laces.
Event warmup:

The kids race started at 8:00, so I followed along behind them as the looped to the finish and then headed back to the start and down the trail about a miles and back. Very easy pace but I was already sweating up a storm, could tell this was going to be a hot and muggy one.
Run
  • 49m 50s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Wasn't feeling very racey all weekend as I I think I am coming down with whatever my wife has, so I started well back in the field and took it easy the first mile. Started feeling out the pace and started moving forward after the half mile, and made some good progress up until mile two, then I started losing spots ona at a time. Didn't have that gear I normally do in these races today and I just started melting in the heat and humidity. I drank at the 2 mile and 4 mile aid stations but I think I was a bit dehydrated at the start and never caught up. I didn't completely fall apart but I never really stepped on the gas either.
What would you do differently?:

Not be sick, and treat this as a race not as a catered training run. Think it would have been better mentally if it had rained and I was thinking a lot about the heat and humidity. Was seriously drenched in sweat after.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked and got my water and a root beer float (best post race treat ever!) and got some water for a few folks who really looked like they were hurting afterwards. Got some watermelon, walked back to the car and got my Iphone and walked back.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, humidity, and just not feeling ready to race this morning. Hope I can turn t around in a few weeks at Rev 3 Pocono.

Event comments:

Good race! Nice decent sized local race, with a unique feel to it. Custom Race socks, root beer floats afterwards, and Kona ice truck. Nice gravel/dirt trail with three monitored road crossings. Kids race and some very neat awards (Custom painted rail ties) Cool race benefiting the HCM Foundation assisting families of people fighting cancer.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-09-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:49:50 | 06.21 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/27
Overall: 65/300
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back on the Saucon Rail Trail and then finishing in Upper Saucon Township Park. Slight downhill on the way out and uphill on the way back but nothing really noticeable.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-09-01 11:41 AM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: Saucon Rail Trail 10K
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Saucon Rail Trail 10K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Saucon Rail Trail 10K

Started by southwestmba
Views: 1407 Posts: 1

2012-09-03 1:20 PM southwestmba

Rails to Trails of the Withlacoochee Bike Ride

Started by panout
Views: 978 Posts: 1

2008-10-05 9:12 PM panout

Ironton 10K Rail Trail Race

Started by Offthegrid
Views: 977 Posts: 7

2007-05-21 12:25 AM lil_turtle

Rails to Trails of the Withlacoochee

Started by panout
Views: 924 Posts: 1

2006-10-21 6:21 PM panout

Rails to Trails of the Withlacoochee

Started by Tri Take Me Away
Views: 1059 Posts: 9

2006-10-06 10:15 AM parrj
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 15, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Recipes for Oatmeal Pancakes, Carrot Apple Muffins, Sugar and Spice Pecans and Crunchy Trail Mix

date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?
date : October 29, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.

date : June 14, 2005
author : smeeko
Training plan featuring specific interval-type and track workouts to increase your 10K speed over the course of 2 months.
date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.