General Discussion Race Reports! » Défi populaire Triathlon Vallée du Richelieu Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Défi populaire Triathlon Vallée du Richelieu - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Saint-Jean-Baptiste, Quebec
Canada
22C / 72F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 11s
Overall Rank = 81/127
Age Group = W35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/11
Pre-race routine:

This event was organized by my tri club so I showed up early to help with the setup; we carried aid station supplies, finishers medals and lunch bags, tables, etc. all over the place. This also served as an early warmup :) Chatted with tri club members who were doing their first sprint! I usually feel nervous before a race but not this time since it is a low-key (but really well organized!) event.
Event warmup:

Went for a quick swim a couple of minute before start.
Swim
  • 16m 59s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim time includes the run to T1; since it is a small event, all 127 sprint participants started together on the small beach. We were swimming all over each other until passed the 1st buoy, then it slowly spread out. I actually liked this start! I worried a couple of times when I was stuck between two breast-strokers, but quickly passed them and was fine for the rest of the swim. The water was perfect and the course well marked.
What would you do differently?:

If this event gets bigger, maybe plan for a wave start, but it was fine as is.
Swim endurance is good, I easily could've gone for another lap! Now I have to figure out how to get faster.
Transition 1
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

This time comes from my Garmin, but seems a bit slow. The run from swim exit to transition was short and I was quick in getting my shoes and helmet on. Don't know what happened here?

Dunno.
Bike
  • 40m 53s
  • 20 kms
  • 29.35 km/hr
Comments:

2 x 10km loops.
Tail wind on the way out, headwind on the way back x 2
This is my favourite leg by far. Since my running time is bad even if I try to "save my legs" during the bike, I have decided to go all out and have fun on the bike until further notice :)

For me the bike is a chance to pass many better swimmers (20+ on that day) and on a 2 loop course, you get to see where everybody is standing. No one passed me except for maybe 4-5 guys on tri bikes and almost at the end. Yay me!

My Garmin died on me during the last 5km stretch, so this time comes from Sporstats and I don't know if it includes T2 or not.

Not have my Garmin die on me, and check my right shoe/pedal as it kept unclipping often when I was pulling my foot up. Very annoying :(
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I do not have T2 time and don't know if it is included in bike or run portion. Was moving quick though.

Dunno!
Run
  • 33m 21s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 40s  min/km
Comments:

Course was a tad longer than 5k, and it may include T2 time. I was also nursing an ankle injury for 2 weeks just before the race. All right all right all excuses for my poor run :)
Seriously I don't know why I can't run. Off the bike or not, injured or not, hot & humid or nice and cool, I just seem to get the same run results every time!!!

This course was beautiful though, plenty of spectators and kids asking for high-5s, a false flat (up on the way out, down on the way back) x 2. Almost half the course is under shade too!

Learn to suffer more on the run. Same old same old... Take a little bit more water at the aid station. Push more at the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Get water, quick! Then chat with friends and go see results, as I did not have my finish time on my wrist :) Eat a little, and chat some more.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Good endurance on swim but lack of speed; need to work on that. Also next year I will try to practice with shoes on bike, instead of running with them (hate that, very slippery) and come to a complete stop. Also, run faster. I know I can.

Event comments:

I had a blast!!! This one is a keeper, very beginner-friendly and it is almost in my backyard (well, a 15-minute drive). My tri club has organized this with very little means, yet many people told me that it was the nicest course and event they had done this year! I am very proud of my team and tried to do them honors. Can't wait for next year's event, and I hope we can attract even more people to this fantastic sport.

Last updated: 2014-09-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:59 | 750 meters | 02m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/11
Overall: 0/127
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 22C / 72F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:12
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:53 | 20 kms | 29.35 km/hr
Age Group: 2/11
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 84
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:21 | 05 kms | 06m 40s  min/km
Age Group: 9/11
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-09-01 4:01 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Défi populaire Triathlon Vallée du Richelieu

2014-09-01 9:56 PM
in reply to: #5045743

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Défi populaire Triathlon Vallée du Richelieu

Nice job Isabella!

2014-09-02 7:44 AM
in reply to: Dennis B

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
WTG, GF! Love your report with you explaining organization and your performance. Your bike time is something that I can only dream of. So glad that it was a fun race and that your tri club started the event.

Really looks like your run time was good -especially considering it was long, T2 may have been in there, and you were having ankle problems. But you did say something at the end of your report about needing to be willing to suffer more on the run. That was it for me. Recover quickly and get the ankle well.

Kudos to you also on not only doing the race but volunteering beforehand!
2014-09-02 2:55 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Master
Maryland
Way to go Isabella! You completed another tri and you had fun! That is what it is all about and so nice that it is close to you too. Great job!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Défi populaire Triathlon Vallée du Richelieu Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Triathlon Chaleur Caisse Populaire

Started by axteraa
Views: 1401 Posts: 6

2014-07-25 7:33 PM Fred D

Défi Boischatel - New Balance

Started by rlejeune
Views: 1493 Posts: 5

2010-08-10 7:34 PM QueenZipp

Course et Marche Populaires de LaSalle

Started by verdilan
Views: 735 Posts: 1