General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ugly Forecast 70.3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-01 8:24 PM

User image

Subject: Ugly Forecast 70.3
So I have been training hard and have been excited to complete my first HIM this upcoming weekend, up until the point I looked at the long term forecast.

Upper 80's with crazy humidity and a 60% chance of thunderstorms all day. Any advice from more seasoned athletes out there? Is it business as usual and just get through it or are there things I should do to prep last minute? Any special needs I should consider in terms of equipment and race plans?

2014-09-01 8:49 PM
in reply to: djmikula

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ugly Forecast 70.3
That is pretty much the forecast for most pf my SE Asia races. The normal pattern during rainy season involves afternoon thunderstorms (sometimes they can hit late morning) or at least heavy showers, high heat and humidity. Pretty much carry on as usual, with a few precautions:

*Pretty sure the RD would delay the start if there was lightening or heavy rain at the time. Be physically/mentally prepared to wait an hour or more to start--extra clothes, plan for where to stay dry, how to keep loose.
*For HIM distance, it might be worth the extra time in transition to put shoes, socks, etc. in a ziplock bag, covered plastic container, or similar. It really sucks to start the bike, or especially the run, in sopping wet shoes and socks. This does add some time to get stuff out of the bag/box, but the gain in comfort and peace of mind would be worth it IMO, at least above Sprint or possibly Oly distance.
*Don't wear layers you can't easily take off. Maybe this is only relevant to racing at high altitude or in places like Oregon with crazy weather, but our storms usually involve a steep, sudden drop in temps. So you might park an extra layer in transition in the event you want it, but make sure it's something you can slip off and tie around you waist or otherwise stash if the sun comes out and temps climb again.
*A hat would be useful if there's any chance of hail on the run (this has happened to me)!
*Probably obvious, but if it starts raining hard on the bike, be prepared to back off the pace and ride much more cautiously until it stops. Also remember that turns/steering/braking are less stable on wet pavement.

I've been lucky enough never to have been caught in heavy rain on the bike in a race, but have dealt with downpours and hail on the run, a start that was delayed almost two hours due to heavy rain, and an entire Oly done in the face of an approaching tropical storm. The latter was great for motivation--kept thinking I'd either get washed away, or forced to drop out if I didn't hurry up and finish before the inevitable deluge....I ended up the OA winner. The storm actually hit a few hours later, so everyone got to finish safely!
2014-09-02 1:29 AM
in reply to: 0

We had 105 last year for the Mandurah 70.3. Swim & bike were OK, but run was very hot. Hundreds of DNFs and the ambulance service was kept busy. I ended up stopping at every aid station and pouring water on myself, then putting icecubes down my back and under my cap. Also made sure I smashed the water & coke. Spectators were complaining about the heat!

Edited by zedzded 2014-09-02 1:37 AM
2014-09-02 4:22 AM
in reply to: zedzded

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Doh didn't even think about heat/humidity. 80's would be very mild here. Just common sense--for a longer race I think it's most important to make sure to hydrate plenty on the bike, and get most of your nutrition in there. Better to have to pee on the bike/run than start the run even a little dehydrated. Personally for a 70.3 in the heat I would carry a bottle of my own hydration on the run. Aid stations can get very jammed up in big events with people walking, even standing, and grabbing drinks, sponges, and ice, and it's nice to have one less thing to worry about, and access to water when you want it (i.e. when feeling truly miserable, when you want to get down nutrition). I've even taken my own bottle in an Oly (not even in really hot conditions, but only one aid station and placed too far into the run), and not regretted it. Heat can mess with your desire for and ability to keep down nutrition. I've twice done an international distance race (between an Oly and HIM, about 3:50 for me) in the tropics and both times was unable to take in any calories beyond a few swallows of Gatorade on the run due to heat-induced nausea. The bike leg should be earlier in the day when it's cooler, and it's less of a stress on your GI tract, so I would get in more calories there, and do what you can on the run.

Do everything you can with sponges, ice, etc. I've been known to put them under my hat, down my bra, etc. Be alert to signs of impending heat illness like nausea, pounding headache, dizziness, or chills, and be prepared to walk if needed or back way off the pace until you feel better. Make sure you are NOT drinking only water but also some sports drink with sodium, etc. A lot of the DNF's and medivacs I've seen in tropical races are not from dehydration but hyponatremia or simply the core temperature going too high, despite adequate hydration (it's common for there to be aid stations every 1-2 km; if you took every one it would be pretty hard to get really dehydrated). Finally, be ready to adjust pace/goals as needed. The heat takes a toll on everyone; finishing safe and healthy should be your top priority.
2014-09-02 8:29 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by djmikula

So I have been training hard and have been excited to complete my first HIM this upcoming weekend, up until the point I looked at the long term forecast.

Upper 80's with crazy humidity and a 60% chance of thunderstorms all day. Any advice from more seasoned athletes out there? Is it business as usual and just get through it or are there things I should do to prep last minute? Any special needs I should consider in terms of equipment and race plans?

It's your first, so I assume your goal is to finish? Keep that in mind!!!

Ride a little slower than you think you were going to, you will need the energy for the run.
Drink a lot on the bike. In that weather I would plan on drinking 4 bottles while riding.
Take your time in transition, an extra minute in a 5-7 hr race does not mean much.
Make sure you drink enough at the rest areas of the run. I usually walk through them so I can drink easily, and pour some water/ice over me or into my suit to keep the body temp down.

Good luck
2014-09-02 8:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
I did my first 70.3 a few weeks ago, and although it wasn't as bad as what you describe it was still plenty hot by the time I got to running. I made sure to hydrate for the few days before. On race day, I drank water and Gatorade on a schedule on the bike to stay ahead of hydration. I also took a full throwaway bottle of Gatorade with me on the run (which was gone by mile 8), which I think helped. Nothing much else to do except to take water, Gatorade and pop on the run as you need it. Maybe take a hydration belt with you on the run?

I had frozen all my water and Gatorade bottles the night before, but, sadly, they were all warm by the time I got to them. Maybe maybe try covering them with a towel to help keep the sun off so you have a LITTLE bit of ice left?

Also, some kids and homeowners were out with their hoses and squirt guns -- take full advantage if they are out for your race. =)

When I played tennis, we had a saying: "It's just as hot on the other side of the court." Meaning, everyone is suffering the same as you, and there's not much you can do about it except know that the heat and humidity is affecting everyone. Good luck -- hopefully it's not THAT bad for you on race day and you are well prepared.

2014-09-02 9:38 AM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Miles around Midtown

Also, some kids and homeowners were out with their hoses and squirt guns -- take full advantage if they are out for your race. =)  

I love when people do this!

Beware though, if your socks and shoes get TOO soaked it can cause chaffing and blisters. One particularly hot race (real temp topped 100, volunteers were combing the run course looking into your eyes asking you questions, ready to pull you!) the local fire department was hosing people down from head to toe at the turnaround you hit 2x... after I gladly accepted it the first time my socks and shoes were so wet I had blisters only a few miles later. So... tread carefully there.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ugly Forecast 70.3 Rss Feed