Hy-Vee Triathlon
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 32s
Overall Rank = 26/732
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/84
Pre-race routine:

Race was changed from Olympic to a Sprint on the Friday before due to flood waters in Water Works Park and on Flagg Drive. Tough call, but right choice.

Nick and I traveled together this year. Stayed at Bertrand's. Got up about 4:45 AM. Started to head to transition around 5:30 ish. Transition closes at 6:45 but our race doesn't start until 9:00 AM. Long wait because the pros were still doing an Olympic event (4 loop bike) and the run was not affected by the flood waters. Race officials wanted every pro off the course before starting the 5150. They moved along fast, bu there was a ton of time standing around.

I had been nursing a sore hip muscle for the last few weeks / month or so and the change to Sprint wasn't a bad thing for me. Especially since I had felt under trained anyways.

NO WETSUIT. Water temp jumped up 2.2 degrees. Offical temp. 78.2 degrees. Are you kidding me? Oh well. Race the race on race day.
Event warmup:

Not much. Spent some time in the water but really not much for warm up. Had to be out of transition so early and I did not have a support person to give shoes to so any running I did was either barefoot or in transition.
Swim
  • 13m 29s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 48s / 100 meters
Comments:

Good swim. No wetsuit but that's okay. I felt like I was moving very fast through the water and ended up passing a ton of swimmers in the waves in front of me.
What would you do differently?:

Continue to improove my time in the water. I could have pushed harder too.
Transition 1
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

It's a few hundred yards from the swim exit to the entrance of T1. I ran hard up the bank of the lake to the transition area. Had my swim cap and goggles off right away. Shoes were already clipped in. Sunglasses on helmet on and clipped and I was off and running. Long run with my bike through transition. There were a ton of bikes still on the rack when I got there. That's always refreshing. With a wave start though I could have started in front of alot of those guys. Ran to the mount line, hopped on my bike got up to speed. Slid one foot in, and strapped, slid the other foot in and strapped and was off.

Some congestion at the mount line but I navigated through it okay.

Not much. Went hard and felt good.
Bike
  • 30m 18s
  • 20 kms
  • 39.60 km/hr
Comments:

This bike was fast!!!! Fluer and MLK are basically flat roads with a little hill here and there. We were smoking through this race. According to my Garmin I avereaged 24.6 mph and considering the number of turn arounds and the slower pace through the park, that was awesome. Couple of times on MLK I was over 32 mph!

There were a couple of us guys that were not drafting off of each other but we were certainly pushing each other. They were not in my age group, but I think they were on part of teams. I got passed twice. No one in my age group that I could tell passed me though. One guy was an Age Group Elite and he was hammering his bike. He passed me on a flat when I was going 26 mph. Holy Shit. I tried to hang on but there was no way that was happening.

This was my best bike performance to date. Loved it and accomplished what I wanted.

Push harder up some of the smaller hills and try to stay healthy so i can actually train for this race!!!

Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

Fast T2 for me considering that I still like to run with socks. Took me 9 seconds and 8 seconds to put on my socks. That 17 seconds cost me 1 place for sure, maybe 2. The guy in front of me beat me by 12 seconds and the guy in 7th beat me by 27 seconds. I'm still confident that running in socks for me is the right thing to do, but I will look at 2015 as a change to sockless racing.

I was happy with T2 and my legs responded fairly well to the first steps off the bike. Considering I have not done many bricks this year, it was good to see my muscle memory working.

Not much.
Run
  • 22m 44s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 33s  min/km
Comments:

I knew going into the run that I was going to have to make a decision between pushing hard and injuring myself or pushing just hard enough to have an okayish run. I chose the later since I wanted to be able to continue improving my body for the DM Marathon.

I was able to run with good long strides. Not pushing too hard but avereage a 7:20 per mile pace. This was great because I did not injure myself and I knew I was undertrained.

Not much. Happy with this performace considering where I was at in my training.
Post race
Warm down:

None. Enjoyed the athlete free bee's and waited for ever for Nick to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training due to injury. However, I felt great.

Event comments:

At first I felt that Hy Vee took a step back this year. I was not happy with the decision to change from an Olympic to a Sprint, but it was certainly the right call. If we would have tried to do 4 loops on the bike course it would have been way too crowded. Especially considering the number of first timers that go to Hy Vee. After all is said and done, they were able to make logistical changes to a course affecting 2,000+ athletes and do so in a ver seemless routine. I'm glad they did not cancel the race as I'm sure that was an option too.

I enjoyed the race. I was happy with my performance. The swag was good again and I will be back next year!!!

Last updated: 2014-06-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:29 | 750 meters | 01m 48s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/84
Overall: 0/732
Performance: Good
None
Suit: No wet suit
Course: L shaped course. Started on the North side of Grays Lake. 2 turn bouys to the swim exit on the other side.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:36
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:30:18 | 20 kms | 39.60 km/hr
Age Group: 5/84
165-170 HR the whole time.
Wind: Little
Course: Starts in Grey's lake along the trail for about a mile. Tight turns on the trail and I had to be cautious as there was some other bikers out there. Needed to pass with extreme caution. 2 loop course on Fleur and MLK. Flat and fast. Little hills here and there but nothing I couldn't roll through.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:44 | 05 kms | 04m 33s  min/km
Age Group: 30/84
Performance: Average
165-170 HR sustained.
Course: Flat trail run. Out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-09-02 8:57 AM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.
Subject: Hy-Vee Triathlon

2014-09-03 8:29 AM
in reply to: #5045918

User image

Subject: RE: Hy-Vee Triathlon
Good job! I did the race, too, and that bike was fast. Now, that being said, your time was REALLY FAST! My bike time was 21 mph which still is pretty fast for me. However, I look back and I really wasn't pushing more because I didn't even know how!! I never bike flat courses. This was so different from the previous routes at Hy-Vee. Glad you made the trip to race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hy-Vee Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hy-Vee Triathlon

Started by Swee
Views: 1732 Posts: 6

2007-06-20 4:38 PM Swee

Hy-Vee Triathlon

Started by lastcall2003
Views: 1629 Posts: 1

2007-06-18 2:08 PM lastcall2003

Hy-Vee Triathlon

Started by douglasschaefer
Views: 1810 Posts: 7

2007-06-21 12:33 PM douglasschaefer

Hy-Vee Triathlon

Started by robfornoff
Views: 1783 Posts: 3

2007-06-20 3:43 PM robfornoff

Hy-Vee Triathlon

Started by JungleDoc
Views: 1818 Posts: 4

2007-06-20 3:33 PM robfornoff
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 2, 2007
author : douglasschaefer
comments : 5
A story of how a simple email one day can change your life forever.