General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike buyer remorse & new purchase Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-02 5:52 PM

Subject: Bike buyer remorse & new purchase
Hello

I bought a brand new alloy Felt Z85 with 105, 2012 model, brand new, for 1100US$

The reason I bought it? it was a 105 as such a low price! but that relaxed geometry frame was too heavy and slow.

I spent 2 sleepless nights having buyer remorse, so I returned it to the LBS and got refunded.

Now I am raising the budget at least to 1500US$ and there are some nice discounts on "racier" and "lighter" bikes, but I want to make sure I make the right choice this time.

Any advice would be SO much helpful!!!

I test rode all 3 of those models:

1) CANNONDALE Synapse 5 Carbon TIAGRA (2013 model) for 1399US$ (from MSRP 1800US$)

2) TREK Madone 3.1 Carbon 105 (2014 model) for 1499US$ (from MSRP 2100US$)

3) SPECIALIZED Tarmac 105 (2014 model) for 1499US$ (from MSRP 2100US$)

Are any of those models better than the other?

They all feel great, although probably the Cannondale and Trek were a slightly more comfortable and efficient ride. They felt equally fast to me, the difference wasn't that noticeable.

I want to take at least 1-2 more days before making my last call... and I have a Sprint distance triathlon due for this Sunday.... So I need to make a decision this week... I need a bike to use for Sprint triathlons for one season plus a Half-IronMan in one year.

Any advice/consideration between those 3 models ?

Thanks a lot!

2014-09-02 8:48 PM
in reply to: nils89

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Subject: RE: Bike buyer remorse & new purchase
I've ridden all 3 brands you mentioned.
It's a coin toss between Cannondale and Specialized.
I had a catastrophic failure with a Trek, followed by gawd-awful customer service. Avoid Trek at all costs.
2014-09-03 5:12 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
The Tarmac is pretty hard to beat, that would be my choice.

BUT, they fits quite differently… the Synapse is shorter and taller than the Tarmac for example. The Madone falls in between. Just make sure you get a bike that actually fits YOU.
2014-09-03 7:31 AM
in reply to: audiojan

The tarmac actually felt very similar to the TREK Madone.

The problem was the fit. The tarmac was a size smaller, 56, and I am usually 58. The Specialized shop body-scanned me with all the measurements and said that for them the 56 was slightly too small, and 58 would have been perfect. I test rode a basic 58 allez and it was a night and day experience in terms of fit. The shop tried to say I could adapt to the 56 by adding stems. Or they could order a 58 one but at the regular 2100US$ cost which I can't afford.

What's the Madone 3.1 reputation? seems like it is a race bike, but with a slight comfort attitude?

In term of comfort and pace, compared to the "bulky & Heavy" Felt Z85 , both the Synapse Tiagra and the Madone 3.1 seems WAY faster.

They cost the same, around 1400-1500 US$. they have same weight, 8.85kg, same material, and I could handle both quite smoothly.

I could ride them stretching a lot over the handlebar, and loved it.

Maybe, I was a bit more confident and faster on the Madone. But again, noob question, is a component mix any good? The Madone has 105 shifters but one of the derailleurs is Tiagra, the other 105, chain set is from SRAM. Even the Brakes are non-standard "Bontrager".

Is a component brand mix any good? All synapse components are "Shimano Tiagra" labeled.

If the mix is not a big problem, my first choice might be the Madone. There are no other discounted models in the 3 LBS, and it was the one I felt more racier, while fitting best.

I am sure there were no Specialized nor Giant fitting me at the LBS, TREK felt awesome, as did CANNONDALE.

The battle will be between that Madone 3.1 and any other Cannondale I can find in that price range. Maybe, I could give a shot to the 105 CAAD8 too. Should be around that price-tag (I think).

2014-09-03 10:27 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Test riding the bike is usually not a very good way to determine size… nor is "usually 58" since pretty much all brands will not only vary the geometry, but also how that geometry is measured… A 58 from one could be very dissimilar to a 58 from another…

Bontrager is Trek's house brand of components and wheels. It's good stuff, so not to worry. I also bet that the rear derailleur is 105 and the front id downgraded to Tiagra, which is not that big of a deal, the rear derailleur is much more important. SRAM chains work just fine, so no need to worry about that either.
2014-09-03 12:05 PM

User image

Pro

can't let this thread go by without the obvious suggestion on trying out the CAAAD 10.  

I've never liked the feel of the synapse.  too 'dead' feeling to me- although some might call that comfort.

Madone is great frame- it's sorta' the grand compromise.  I've (sadly) never ridden a Tarmac.  

2014-09-03 8:14 PM
in reply to: morey000

So I went back to LBS, and found out they got an AMAZING deal on CAAD10 with 105.

Cannondale is putting the 2014 model on sale for 1300 US $. I would had to order it though, and I do have a sprint race this Sunday.

The shop owner said that was an absolutely fantastic deal, and as I know the Caad reputation, I am sure it is.

But I was able to test ride a 2013 Caad10 with electronic-shifting. Actually, I didn't enjoy it as much as the Synapse Carbon.

I felt the Synapse Carbon was still quite quick, while handling slightly better at the corners and being more stable and smoother on the ground. I also find myself way more stretched and Aero than with the Caad10.

The Cannondale seller was a bit surprised, but said that probably I do have a preference for Carbon-frames over Alloy.

So I Went back to TREK, and found out the Carbon model they would offer at 1499 US$ is not a Madone 3.1, but 4.5...!

So basically I got to decide between the 2013 Carbon Synapse with Tiagra (1350US$), the 2013 Madone 4.5 with 105 (1500US$), and eventually CAAD10 with 105 (1300 US$).

It has been a week I am test riding and I feel the LBS will start to get annoyed if I keep trying the bikes.

For now, I might feel the Madone 4.5 a tad better, but I am afraid I might have to pass on the CAAD10 deal. Maybe I didn't tested the CAAD10 the right way...?

I am starting to say that either deal, is good, they're still 105 bikes, same 8kg weight, and 2 good brands.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike buyer remorse & new purchase Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Online bike purchase Sale-Bikes.com

Started by Bionicdave02
Views: 877 Posts: 6

2013-09-30 6:54 AM Six000MileYear

First step in new bike purchase process

Started by anth0424
Views: 1836 Posts: 5

2011-04-19 7:22 PM Tanyagail

New to Tris, need help with bike purchase

Started by bpye28
Views: 851 Posts: 4

2011-02-03 6:55 AM audiojan

Purchased a New Bike, Need Shoes and Pedals

Started by Back2Me
Views: 742 Posts: 2

2008-04-08 12:24 PM trimore

Cannondale Multisport 2000 - talk me out of buyers remorse

Started by workoutbunny
Views: 6633 Posts: 10

2014-07-04 4:24 PM meepx2
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?
date : April 20, 2009
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?

date : December 15, 2008
comments : 2
I bought a new road bike in April and want to know how to properly maintain it during the season when I'm riding often and during the off season.
date : May 23, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 5
When running or biking, is it best to work towards increasing distance, stamina, working with heart rates, intervals, speed, drills, etc.?

date : January 1, 2006
author : Ontherun
Tis the season to shop. These are a few of my plans when I go out looking for a new ride.
date : January 24, 2005
author : Michael
I heard an athletic trainer say that in life we have many setbacks. The key is to overcome these setbacks, but the question is how?

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 1
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.