General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why am I faster on my tri bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-09-06 8:26 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

DC
Subject: RE: Why am I faster on my tri bike?
Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Originally posted by Porfirio
Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Originally posted by fisherman76 not to nit pick, but I'll nit pick - stiffness can affect the amount of power transferred to the pedal from the body, and it can be measured in power output...but you're right if the OP is describing stiffness as 'teeth jarring', that's not so much referring to frame and bottom bracket stiffness as it is the combination of wheel and fork stiffness, which don't directly affect power output (other than the fact that he's uncomfortable with the teeth jarring, which indirectly affects power!). So, yes, let the air out a bit. Make sure you're not using studded tires, stop riding on gravel (just kidding on both), and if you have the means, switch to a carbon wheelset. Wheel stiffness is a totally separate discussion, which fortunately for us was nicely examined on ST, and deserves a read: http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Debunking_Wheel_Stiffness_3449.htmledited - the author of that article was not Dan Empfield, it was Greg Kopecky.

I'll not nit pick either, except that I will.  

Power that is transfered to the frame (through flex) is mostly returned to the pedals (minus a VERY small amount of heat loss).  The amount of loss is so small that I suspect you would not be able to measure it with most power meters and can safely ignore when trying to figure out what might be making you 3mph (or even 0.1mph) faster.

Simply... fascinating!

I was able to dig this up through the wayback machine.  Towards the bottom, there is an experiment you can do for yourself.

http://web.archive.org/web/20090323002006/http://bikethink.com/Frameflex.htm

Thanks man.

Gosh, I always learn so much from you guys from the most simplest questions!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why am I faster on my tri bike? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Disscusion: Why or Why not a Tri/Road bike Pages: 1 2

Started by LPJmom
Views: 4211 Posts: 36

2012-11-16 4:37 PM metafizx

Run more = run faster, bike more = bike faster?

Started by trey800hj
Views: 2596 Posts: 10

2009-02-23 9:04 PM newbz

Why am I so slow on the bike? Pages: 1 2

Started by surfwallace
Views: 3657 Posts: 38

2013-08-06 7:22 PM adelsud

Why am I so slow on the bike?

Started by lablover
Views: 2080 Posts: 24

2005-04-05 8:41 PM runnergirl29

why our new bikes go faster...

Started by autumn
Views: 1046 Posts: 22

2004-10-08 9:55 PM dolly
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 29, 2011
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 1
How to improve your bike split in a triathlon through careful planning and execution of your training schedule

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.