Other Resources The Political Joe » If you love rivers, this is a fantastic read Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-03 10:38 AM

User image

Pro
Subject: If you love rivers, this is a fantastic read

2014-09-03 3:05 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Denver
Subject: RE: If you love rivers, this is a fantastic read

Cool article, thanks for posting.  Here's one from just last week that's a little more positive.

2014-09-03 3:33 PM
in reply to: drewb8

User image

Pro

Originally posted by drewb8

Cool article, thanks for posting.  Here's one from just last week that's a little more positive.

Thanks!

"The removal of the Glines Canyon Dam and the Elwha Dam, a smaller downstream dam, began in late 2011. Three years later, salmon are migrating past the former dam sites, trees and shrubs are sprouting in the drained reservoir beds, and sediment once trapped behind the dams is rebuilding beaches at the Elwha's outlet to the sea"

I may have to make a trip to that area next year when we are up that way for a race.  I'd lke to see it for myself....so cool!

2014-09-03 6:00 PM

User image

Master
Denver

Originally posted by Left Brain

Thanks!

"The removal of the Glines Canyon Dam and the Elwha Dam, a smaller downstream dam, began in late 2011. Three years later, salmon are migrating past the former dam sites, trees and shrubs are sprouting in the drained reservoir beds, and sediment once trapped behind the dams is rebuilding beaches at the Elwha's outlet to the sea"

I may have to make a trip to that area next year when we are up that way for a race.  I'd lke to see it for myself....so cool!

Olympic is one of my favorite National Parks, definitely worth the drive.  Here's a cool time lapse of the removal of the bottom dam.

2014-09-03 6:12 PM

User image

Pro

Wow!  Thanks!  Do you know.....is the reclamation work they did based on the channel prior to the dam being  built or did they just come up with a new design?

2014-09-04 2:12 PM

User image

Master
Denver

Wow!  Thanks!  Do you know.....is the reclamation work they did based on the channel prior to the dam being  built or did they just come up with a new design?

Don't quote me on this, but I think they put it back into the original channel at the dam site but let it find it's own way behind it, although it think it basically found it's old channel.  There's some good webisodes on the NPS site here and the blog is interesting too.

2014-09-04 6:45 PM

User image

Outside Magazine had an article a couple months ago about traveling the Colorado River during the experiment mentioned in the article posted by LB. I thought it was an interesting read...you can catch it here: http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/nature/Open-the-Floo...
2014-09-05 9:10 AM
in reply to: Boilermaker

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Boilermaker Outside Magazine had an article a couple months ago about traveling the Colorado River during the experiment mentioned in the article posted by LB. I thought it was an interesting read...you can catch it here: http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/nature/Open-the-Floo...

I enjoyed that as well, thanks!.....I had no idea the Colorado no longer flowed to the ocean.  I was raised on spring fed streams and rivers in Missouri, and I can throw a rock off the bluffs of the Mississippi from where I live now....I love moving water!

2014-09-05 10:16 AM

User image

Master
Denver

Here's some more cool restoration work being done, this time at Grand Canyon NP. Talk about catching a ride...

2014-09-08 8:37 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Thanks!

Olympic is one of my favorite National Parks, definitely worth the drive.  Here's a cool time lapse of the removal of the bottom dam.

That video was awesome.  I love stuff like that.

I kept trying to figure out if the river was going to go left or right as they switched it back and forth.  

2014-09-08 2:31 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

LB - if you haven't read John Grave's Goodbye to a River you might like it.  Graves' wrote the book after traveling by canoe down the Brazos River in Texas.  At the time, the Brazos was slated to have 13 dams installed and Graves knew it would change the river he grew up on forever.  Turns out that only 3 or so dams were ever built and Grave's book has been listed as a major reason why the other dams were never built.

2014-09-08 2:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Hook'em

LB - if you haven't read John Grave's Goodbye to a River you might like it.  Graves' wrote the book after traveling by canoe down the Brazos River in Texas.  At the time, the Brazos was slated to have 13 dams installed and Graves knew it would change the river he grew up on forever.  Turns out that only 3 or so dams were ever built and Grave's book has been listed as a major reason why the other dams were never built.

Thanks, I'll find it. 

When I was a kid there was a plan to dam the Meramec river where I grew up fishing, canoeing, and playing.  My parents took me to rallys/protests against the dam....I even spent some days distributing fliers door to door as a pre-teen. Thankfully, the dam was never built.  Sadly, in some ways, my kids have headed down a different path and rivers don't hold near the wonder for them as they do to me....sometimes I think I may have let them down in that regard. I don't know of anything more full of life than a river.

I've got about 4 more years to work.......when I retire, it will be next to moving water.

ETA - when we were up in Edmonton for Worlds last week I headed down a path to the banks of the Saskatchewan River, which ran next to some of the course, during a break in the action. I guess I had been down there longer than I thought because I met my wife, looking for me, on the way back after they wondered where I went.  She said, "I figured that's where you were".   I have always been drawn to rivers.......weird.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-09-08 3:12 PM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » If you love rivers, this is a fantastic read Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

If you're a shooter you will love this

Started by Left Brain
Views: 1403 Posts: 15

2014-03-23 7:37 PM LukeBoswell

"One Love"

Started by Left Brain
Views: 1088 Posts: 4

2014-02-09 7:53 AM the bear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.