General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » My First Sprint Tri- Big guy report Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-03 1:00 PM

User image

Subject: My First Sprint Tri- Big guy report
Hi Everybody, I really have enjoyed reading stories of athletes first race so here is my story.
I'm 55 and in February I got an early retirement package from my company after 32 years. I decided to spend more time in the gym but found I was wasting my time working out unless I set a goal. So I started at the end of July training for a sprint triathlon on Sept 13th. I started at about 285LBs although its a little deceiving because I worked out every morning and never really considered myself fat but I knew once I started training that I have to get some weight off to take some stress off my legs. I started swimming 3 days a week and I first I couldn't do 4 laps in a 25yd pool.
Well fast forward 4 weeks, I felt good about so good about my training that I decided to enter my first sprint triathlon on Sept 1st. (300M swim 16 mile bike and 5K run).I was up to swimming 70 laps at a time twice a week and biking 65 miles a week and running about 12 miles a week. I had only lost about 15lbs but I still felt like I was ready to go.
I got to the location early and set up my transition and just hung around and chatted with some of the guys next to me. A few were also doing their first race which made me feel like less of an albatross. You see people of all shapes and sizes but I quickly felt like I was the largest old guy there.(they put your age on your right calf so you could see the age of other competitors. I also had a big C on my left calf which I really didn't need as people could tell I was a Clydesdale!.
So here is how the race went. I started the swim when it was my turn and I found myself passing people! I didn't think that would happen but I think my predicted swim time placed me with a fairly slow group.I think I averaged 2:13/100M. I felt good at the end of the swim and ran out to my bike and did my transition which I had practiced. I felt like I did ok in the first transition but post race data said I was actually pretty slow compared to some of the other competitors. Helmet,sunglasses, socks, shoes, heart rate monitor, shirt and then walking the bike to get on. I hadn't really practiced walking very far with my bike and bike shoes on which I think caused some of the time delay.

The bike was two loops of an 8 mile course and I passed a few people but there was also the speed racers from the earlier group on their second lap blowing by me.. I felt good on the bike and averaged 16.2 MPH which was above where I had been training. The post race data did say that I was in the middle of the pack but I know with more training I can go faster.
In the second transition I once again thought I did pretty well but the time was also again on the high side and slow as compared to others.

And then it was time to run...That is when I hit the wall. I just couldn't get the legs going I ran about 1/2 mile before I started walking and mixing in jogging a little. I finished the run averaging a 12:49 mile which was much slower than I had practiced. The strange thing was that I really didn't feel that fatigued getting off the bike but that quickly changed when the calves started tightening up and the legs felt like lead.
I finished over all at 1:47:35 which put me 5th out of 11 in the over 40 Clydesdale division. I felt good in the end but know I can do better.
Some key learnings:
-getting to the race early and taking in all that was going on was a fun part of the day
-Give an accurate swim time. I think it is better to be passed in the pool than try to pass people.
-Think about your transitions and running with your bike and getting in and out
- I think I needed more training on running after biking which I will work on for my next race. I had done several bricks but for some reason my legs just wouldn't go. I've also heard of techniques at the end of the bike that begins to get your legs ready to run which I will try next time.
-I need to continue to focus on my diet and continue to drop some weight.
I'm really looking forward to my next race on sept 13th.
Thanks for listening if you made it this far!
I'm hooked!

2014-09-03 3:03 PM
in reply to: Silvapv1720

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: My First Sprint Tri- Big guy report

Welcome to BT and congrats on your first race.  You did very well for the first time out. 

The first race is always a great learning experience.  Stuff like learning how to pace yourself, transition skills, etc. 

Expect your race paces to be slower than what you can do in your stand-alone training.  For me, my running pace can be from 1-2 minutes per mile slower in a tri.

Good luck and keep up the good work.

Mark 

2014-09-08 3:56 PM

Well done!
I'm a few years younger and started recently as well. I even started at about the same weight, but had most of it off before I ran my first race.

re: your run
One thing to look into....is nutrition.
I mostly ignored the whole 'nutrition' thing until this year. I'm a participator, not a competitor and I've done mostly shorter races. But, a race I'd done before so I wasn't quite as amped up.... It's a little longer than a sprint. By the time I got to the run, I was fatigued. Not to the point I knew I'd have to walk, but I could 'feel' it...and 'feel it' in a way I normally don't when I'm putting in a longer day of 'training/exercising'.

It's not unusual for me to do an hour of mixed exercise without any kind of fatigue. "Why should that extra 20-30 minutes of swim time make me that much more fatigued?"

Welp, because it put me pretty close to the 1.5 hour mark. Not 1 hour. A point at which the body could be looking to replenish sugars. At least from what I've been reading. I'm now much more conscious about having some fruit during my longer training (especially now that I've extended it some timewise). I've tested out some of those gel packet things as well. It all seems part of a learning curve for me that I thought I wouldn't need, didn't need or would never take the time to be mindful of. But there I am, actually jotting some notes even about nutrition. For future reference when I hopefully REALLY need to start paying attention.

So, that might be one thing to look into. It might not be it, but it's something to consider.
2014-09-11 9:28 PM
in reply to: #5046487

User image

Thanks for the advice. I have my second sprint tri on Saturday and will try a gel pack or two on the bike.
2014-09-12 11:21 AM

, Wisconsin
Great story, great work! I bet tomorrow will go well for you too! What I do on the bike is to start easing up a bit over the last couple miles, not a lot, maybe 10% less effort and shift to a slightly lower gear and spin more, helps flush the lactic acid out of the leg muscles. I also will stand up and pedal a few times just to stretch out a bit and loosen up overall. For me, that first 1/2 mi or so of the run feels really tough, but I just try to relax and shorten my stride and breath deep and easy. Between about 1/2 mi and 3/4 mi it starts to get easier for me. Hopefully for you as well!
2014-09-12 12:48 PM
in reply to: MikeD1

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I agree with Mike, I go slow deliberately for the first 1/2 mile or so of the run. This gives my legs a chance to loosen up after the ride and get into a running groove. I too walked a bit in my first sprint, after that I resolved to running the whole 5K and my times really improved. The key is a strategy for the run, and doing bricks so you know what to expect. Oh, and mentally overcoming the discomfort ... but that is another story.

One thing you might also want to think about is the amount of stuff you said you are having to put on in T1. Consider getting a tri top, that way you won't have to put on a shirt over a wet body. If you want the HRM, and a lot of people like to race with a HRM, put it on before the race and do the swim in it. You can tape over the batter hatch if you are worried about water getting into it. For me, T1 is simple: Helmet, sunglasses and shoes - that's it. I ride the bike without socks. For T2 you have to make the decision whether you want want to put socks on. I have learned that I can run a 5K without socks and this will save me a lot of time. A 10K requires socks but I am not nearly as time conscious during an Oly as I am a Sprint race. I also grab a gel to suck down during the run to refuel a bit. The key here is keep your transitions as free of wardrobe changes as possible. Time spent changing clothes is not getting you closer to the finish.

Sounds to me like you got the bug dude, welcome to the club. Oh, and I'm 55 too :-)

2014-09-14 7:44 AM
in reply to: #5049297

User image

Thanks for the feedback oyster. I finished my second sprint tri yesterday with two goals. Get faster on the bike and run the full 5k. I followed some previous advice and sucked a gel on the bike. I improved my bike time and jog/lumbered the whole 5k and took almost 7 minutes off my 5k time! I may do another one in Oct and will consider my transition stuff. I need to train without socks before I try it. And yes I will look at getting a tri top. Feedback from here has helped me!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » My First Sprint Tri- Big guy report Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

AF Guy about to do first Tri

Started by JULIETALPHAGARCIA
Views: 1069 Posts: 5

2011-06-04 4:59 AM TriAya

big guy trying not to be so much of a big guy

Started by salleytl
Views: 891 Posts: 5

2009-01-07 11:31 AM lkagop

Another Big guy to tri

Started by watsct
Views: 791 Posts: 8

2004-08-26 8:38 PM Michael

Big Guy Giving it a Tri

Started by TnTPop
Views: 855 Posts: 8

2004-08-26 8:48 PM Michael

Big boys in Atl first Tri.

Started by footloose
Views: 852 Posts: 12

2004-07-07 10:19 AM kelpeng
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 21, 2011
author : etra77
comments : 0
Aunt and Nephew do their first Sprint Triathlon together

date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : December 17, 2007
author : 2x4nomore
comments : 1
My first Sprint triathlon, after a very nervous pre-race morning.

date : August 17, 2007
author : mars
comments : 4
Remeber why we do this, we all have our reasons. I had trained for six months, and it was now time to actually do my first sprint triathlon.
date : August 10, 2007
author : leifashley
comments : 4
From couch potato to a tri in 8 weeks. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. The race organizers had it down and there were no problems at all. This was the perfect first tri, in my opinion.

date : July 2, 2006
author : susietri
comments : 6
Race report for my first sprint triathlon in which I tell the tale of panic and redemption.