General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How Often do you do "Testing" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-03 10:37 PM

Subject: How Often do you do "Testing"
How often throughout the season do you do "testing" time trials, such as a 1000m swim, 20/40km bike or 5/10km run to guage progress and figure out training zones?

Some coaches say to do it every 1-2 months, others say at the beginning of the season only.

2014-09-04 6:27 AM
in reply to: elliot.power

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-09-04 7:48 AM

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: How Often do you do "Testing"

Really it's just as easy to take a bike or run leg of a sprint or oly to test power/hr/pace thresholds in well trained athletes and it's more fun.

2014-09-04 7:55 AM
in reply to: uhcoog

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-09-04 7:59 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by Fred D

Originally posted by uhcoog

Really it's just as easy to take a bike or run leg of a sprint or oly to test power/hr/pace thresholds in well trained athletes and it's more fun.

Agree for part. ie; an Olympic bike effort can tell a lot for FTP.

What I never bought into was that FTP means much for ironman racing. I mean it's not 'useless', but not overly valuable to know your FTP for ironman training and racing.

IME, via your training sessions, you can determine what efforts you can sustain on the bike for 4-5 hours in aero position better than using a test that is 20-60' in length.

FTP is a good estimate of fitness and can be very valuable on the trainer in winter session. Just not so helpful for long course racing.

Agreed.  Testing can assist in assessing if training blocks provided the results you anticipated and how best to move forward, but playing with power levels in training sessions is a much better way to set up your race day efforts.

2014-09-04 12:17 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

Master
Northern IL

Agree for part. ie; an Olympic bike effort can tell a lot for FTP.

What I never bought into was that FTP means much for ironman racing. I mean it's not 'useless', but not overly valuable to know your FTP for ironman training and racing.

IME, via your training sessions, you can determine what efforts you can sustain on the bike for 4-5 hours in aero position better than using a test that is 20-60' in length.

FTP is a good estimate of fitness and can be very valuable on the trainer in winter session. Just not so helpful for long course racing.

Agreed.  Testing can assist in assessing if training blocks provided the results you anticipated and how best to move forward, but playing with power levels in training sessions is a much better way to set up your race day efforts.

Yes, testing guides training. Training guides racing. Don't skip steps.

The swim and knowing I still have to run still seem to have too much of an effect on me to use Sprint, or especially Oly numbers.

2014-09-04 12:20 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Master
Northern IL

Honestly, almost never.

Training zones can be reasonably estimated by good training sessions.

*I* do not feel that in IM racing that measuring FTP is that useful or necessary.

I can not remember when I last did it myself.

I haven't done specific tests in quite awhile either. There are a few hard workouts I'll key in on to make such determinations though.

2014-09-04 4:01 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Ok great, I think I'll stick with doing it once a year

Appreciate the help.
2014-09-04 4:17 PM

Originally posted by elliot.power Ok great, I think I'll stick with doing it once a year Appreciate the help.

Agree with the others above.  Testing is not really necessary for long course racing, but feel free to do it if you want.  I know when I was new to the sport, I was excited to test because it would show the huge progress that I've made.  It was motivating and made me want to continue to train hard.  But now that I've been in this sport for 5 years, gains are much smaller and harder to come by.  Add to that I have a lot more experience and can tell through general training if my fitness is on track or not.  So the desire to test isn't really there anymore.  It would only confirm what I pretty much already know. 

For shorter course racing, or short individual events (5k run, 10 mile TT, etc), testing can be more valuable as you can really dial in your race pace/effort and get used to that type of suffering.

2014-09-05 8:55 AM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Northern IL

The experience of those saying "not really" is something to remember. Might still be worth doing a few times a year until a good sense can be developed from a few other workouts and training in general. Something to remember is that the tests are solid workouts and they can help noticeably with pacing and pushing oneself. A lot of Ironman training is getting in the volume, but for the harder work, you do want to be able to push appropriately even though more of this may be farther out from the event.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How Often do you do "Testing" Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Who's doing or at least thinking about doing Lake Placid in 07? Pages: 1 2

Started by oceanannie
Views: 1778 Posts: 30

2006-07-23 1:08 PM trouble

Anyone done or doing the Kinetic Half on April 22nd?

Started by wetri
Views: 681 Posts: 2

2006-03-29 2:45 PM Marvarnett

NE weather what are you guys doing???

Started by kleinrider
Views: 918 Posts: 3

2005-03-09 8:55 PM stevebradley

Info for any Planning on doing Tupper Lake...

Started by Hudnick
Views: 858 Posts: 1

2005-02-05 11:14 AM Hudnick

Anyone doing IM Wisconsin???

Started by kleinrider
Views: 1664 Posts: 13

2004-11-29 4:30 PM Steve-
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : March 4, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Have you been thinking about getting a lab test done to determine your Lactate Threshold number for generating precise heart-rate zones? Follow AJ as he subjects himself to this grueling test.
date : December 24, 2008
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.

date : October 7, 2008
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.
date : August 17, 2007
author : mikericci
If you are just getting off the couch, chances are you aren’t in any shape for an all out 30 minute run or bike LT test. So, what should you do?

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"