General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to tri's Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-04 7:13 PM

Subject: New to tri's
I am super new to tri and I am preparing to take part in the KC sprint tri next year. I have dropped 40lbs and still trucking down. I work in Overland Park and live in Raytown, mo. I could use a whole lot of advice and help. Any good tips advice getting started? I have been running and biking a lot but I am not sure what all I am going to need for the tri next year. Thanks so much in advance for any help.

2014-09-05 9:32 AM
in reply to: Jon85

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: RE: New to tri's
Originally posted by Jon85

I am super new to tri and I am preparing to take part in the KC sprint tri next year. I have dropped 40lbs and still trucking down. I work in Overland Park and live in Raytown, mo. I could use a whole lot of advice and help. Any good tips advice getting started? I have been running and biking a lot but I am not sure what all I am going to need for the tri next year. Thanks so much in advance for any help.

Welcome to the board. There is a pretty good cross section that participate here with a wide range of experience and abilities. Your journey doesn't sound too different from mine. I started tris 3 years ago from zero and since then have completed about 16 races (Sprint, Olympic and 70.3).

Your question is sort of vague....my best advice would be to visit often and read lots on this site. Read some race reports. Also, at the top of this site is a link to "Articles> Beginners" and some good resources.

For actually doing your first sprint tri...you can get by with very little: goggles, any bike, helmet, race belt, running shoes. Since KC Tri is in early May, it's likely to be cold water and a wet-suit is not a bad idea (you want a triathlon wet-suit for swimming, not a tradition scuba suit!). Also, you can look into a pair of tri-shorts and a tri-top. However, you do not need these. Tons of people compete in basic athletic gear. I did my first tri as an indoor-sprint distance and I wore a pair of Nike Pro combat compression shorts and a Pro combat top.

As you do more, I can guarantee that your list of "needs and wants" for triathlon will grow and sort themselves out.

You can spend massive amounts of money on this sport: race wheels, aero helmets, carbon fiber everything, power meters, blah blah blah. You don't *need* any of this stuff (especially to start out). That said, once you get hooked on the sport, you'll probably *want* it. That's ok. But since it sounds like you're whipping yourself into shape, you likely can start with the very basics and go from there.
2014-09-05 10:13 AM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
I'd suggest finding a training plan. When I first started out, I just figured I was supposed to be running, swimming, and biking every single day. While you can do this (and many people do), having something structured helped me out immensely. There are free plans on here and other sites, my first few years I just used these. You can find plans incorporating time, distance, pacing, heart rate zones, power for the bike, but in all honesty, the simpler the better. I'm not sure of your background, but I'd just try and get a feel for the 3 sports and go from there.

I also agree with reading a bunch this fall and winter on what to expect, how to train, what to eat while training, etc. There are fantastic resources here, and the forums can have surprisingly helpful advice (BUT also the opposite...).

Don't go and buy a $10k bike (unless that's your thing. and if it is, I'd love to talk to you about sponsoring me...). There is a bunch of gear you do need to have initially (bike, preferably road but any will do, running shoes, goggles, etc), but most of the other things you will accumulate over time. I raced on a POS 85 Cannondale that didn't shift for 2 years, including a 70.3...

Welcome to triathlon. The community has been one of the most welcoming I've been apart of. If you have any specific questions, let us know!

mark
2014-09-05 2:48 PM
in reply to: m.a.burghart

Thanks so much for the response guys! I have been kind of poking around some of the plans and reading some of the info. I appreciate the answers also. I hope to not have to do the bike portion on my current 70's schwinn varsity but from reading this it sounds like it a better bike isnt neccesary at first. You mentioned it being chilly and I was thinking the same thing. Is there a place in the area that you would recomend for a trisuit? I
2014-09-05 4:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by Jon85

Thanks so much for the response guys! I have been kind of poking around some of the plans and reading some of the info. I appreciate the answers also. I hope to not have to do the bike portion on my current 70's schwinn varsity but from reading this it sounds like it a better bike isnt neccesary at first. You mentioned it being chilly and I was thinking the same thing. Is there a place in the area that you would recomend for a trisuit? I

A trisuit you can wear for any race, cold or not. It's shorts are basically a spandex-type material with some light padding in the butt. The top is the same material, but usually has a pocket in the back and a zipper in front. You can get a onesie model. I have purchased from Sierra Trading post: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~triathlon/?perPage=24

If you get on their email list, you'll find that they pretty much always have some sort of 35-40% off sale. Ultramax in Praire Village has tri-suits in stock that you can try on.

Since you mentioned the temperature...you may be referring to a wetsuit. There are lots of websites for wetsuits, but the one I've used is Xterra. They have pretty big discounts from this site if you watch the banner ads. There is a current thread on the wetsuit topic over on the Tri Talk forum with some good info.

2014-09-05 5:10 PM
in reply to: dprocket

Thanks so much!!

2014-10-21 4:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Overland Park, KS
welcome to the crazy world of triathlon. you're going to love it
2015-02-28 4:27 PM
in reply to: #5047048

Hi there! I don't have any great advice, but I am also new to tri's and am signed up for the KC tri as my first one, too!!! Good luck training-"see" you there!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to tri's Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New to Olathe. New to triathlon.

Started by outlawdave316
Views: 2636 Posts: 7

2010-02-19 12:19 PM L45

New (used) bike!

Started by swimmergrl
Views: 1734 Posts: 4

2008-03-10 7:46 PM Hot Joe

New in Lawrence

Started by fishbike
Views: 1845 Posts: 5

2013-12-30 10:34 AM m.a.burghart

Brand New

Started by audreyackerman
Views: 1424 Posts: 13

2007-07-13 4:29 PM kcguy

best Tri's in Kansas? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by twindaddy
Views: 4945 Posts: 99

2007-04-30 10:08 AM brieper
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.
date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.