General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Speedplay cleats and pedals Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-04 7:38 PM

User image

Subject: Speedplay cleats and pedals
Of course, nothing ever is easy for me. I bought new shoes and speedplay cleats today. Brought them home and tried them out on the trainer. Couldn't get them to clip in. Youtube had a video about how to lubricate the pedal and the cleat so I did that with my silicone chain lubricant. Now they clip in easily, but don't stay clipped in! Even at an easy pace with little pressure the cleat just slides right out of the pedal.

I should add that the reason I bought new shoes and pedals is that the old cleats were not releasing from the pedals and I would have to rotate my foot almost 90 degrees to get them out. Since the shoes/cleats were from 2007 I was unable to remove the screws holding they cleat in place so I just started fresh with new shoes and new pedals.

Could the pedals just be shot? They are from 2007 when I bought my road bike. Thanks in advance.

Edited by djmtrier 2014-09-04 7:41 PM

2014-09-05 5:47 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Speedplay cleats and pedals
Two things to test before you do anything elseā€¦ First, the screws only need to be snug, not tight. If you over tighten them, then it's almost impossible to clip in. Second thing, if you don't have Speedplay specific soles, so you're using the adapters that comes with the cleats, try the to change out the shims to the higher radii shim. It's crucial that the cleat sits on a flat surface, hence the need for the shims. Some shoes just have a slightly larger curve to the sole than others, that's why Speedplay get you two different shims.

When they recommend lubing the cleat, they mean the spring (horseshoe shaped) and with dry lube, not a silicone wet lube.

Edited by audiojan 2014-09-05 5:47 AM
2014-09-08 8:49 AM
in reply to: djmtrier

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Not all Speedplay pedals are the same.
Are you sure the cleats match your pedals?
2014-09-10 8:54 AM
in reply to: djmtrier

NO your pedals/cleats are fine they are just really stiff when you first get them or at least mine where. They loosen up after a handful of clip ins. Just sit on the bike and clip in/out about 10 times and they will start to loosen up and it'll become much easier to clip in. I have gone through 2 pairs of speedplay cleats and both times this happened when they were brand new
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Speedplay cleats and pedals Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Keep On Kovers Speedplay cleat Kover review

Started by cxk9758
Views: 5642 Posts: 10

2012-04-05 2:41 AM boardstrapd

Speedplay cleat stuck on pedal

Started by ironannekidd
Views: 4316 Posts: 4

2010-02-05 12:05 AM audiojan

Speedplay cleat adjustments?

Started by ForrestGump
Views: 834 Posts: 5

2008-05-14 3:27 AM ForrestGump

Speedplay cleat lubing

Started by balgera
Views: 696 Posts: 3

2008-05-06 10:22 PM leapdog

Anybody using Speedplay X-3 Pedals

Started by Michael
Views: 1696 Posts: 7

2004-01-26 10:19 AM Michael
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?

date : February 6, 2010
comments : 0
The correct cleat orientation and float for a rider is dependent on their individual foot, pedaling mechanics, and cleat position.
date : January 8, 2010
How do I know if my cleats need to be adjusted? And how do you know in which direction to adjust them? I have been having medial knee pain and edema but my LBS says the cleat placement is fine.

date : April 19, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 15
Learn what the proper pedaling technique looks like and how to become a more efficient and economical cyclist.
date : February 17, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 13
I have pedals with the cage and when I ride 2+ hours my legs feel much more tired then if I took out my husband's bike with clipless pedals. Do clipless pedals truly make the difference?

date : September 9, 2008
What is your opinion on cleat position? Is there a general rule that you follow when you first fit an athlete?
date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.

date : December 7, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 1
By becoming more aware of your pedal stroke, you can choose to manipulate where and how you activate your leg muscles as your foot traces the circular trajectory at the cranks.