General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chainring questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-05 7:46 AM

Subject: Chainring questions
Hi,
I'm riding a Felt B16 2013 and I'm currently thinking about chainging my 52T chainring to a 55T.I have in mind the SRAM aero which is alluminium and weights 170g, the FSA VISION AERO TIME TT which is carbon fiber and weights 236g, the Driveline TT alluminium and 180g and then I have seen the Driveline SuperRoad alluminium and 125g.
I always think carbon fiber as the lighter choice but from the above results that it's the heaviest. I guess the extra grams have to do with making the chainring stiffer but I'm not sure that's correct...
Thinking only about the weight, I would choose the Driveline SuperRoad for my triathlon bike. What's your advice? Thanks in advance!

2014-09-05 8:06 AM
in reply to: Dr.Lor

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Chainring questions

My advice is to ignore the weight. If you've got the legs to push the 55T, a few grams there is insignificant.

That said... It's a big jump from a 52T to a 55T chainring. Think hard about what you can turn over before forking out the cash for any of them.

2014-09-05 10:52 AM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Yes I'd be curious as to what your motivations are for switching to a ring that big. What sort of speeds/cadences are you doing now?

55 seems like more of a time-trial type chainring than for a triathlon type setup.
2014-09-05 4:25 PM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

I'm currently training in a hilly terrain and climb using my 36T inner chainring,doing flats with the outer 52T at 40-45km/h.It's just that when descending I feel I can push harder than my 52T chainring permits although I travel at 70km/h-110 RPM.
I see pros using 55T on big descents and thought to give it a go.Problem is I'm not sure about changing to a disc-like chainring which the pros use but I see it's heavier or to a ring-like chainring which is lighter.
2014-09-05 6:56 PM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Kind of sounds like your minds made up, but here's a quote from Kevin Metcalfe after he set a new record for M50-54 40k TT at 49:29 talking about chainrings:

Kevin: I think that the vast majority of people don’t need a standard crank and especially not a 54 or 55 tooth chain ring. The fact that I was able to average 30 mph and except for about 10 seconds in my 12, never used anything bigger than a 50x13 tells me that you don’t need a huge gear to go fast. There are a lot of variables, but a 50x11 is a bigger gear than Eddy Merckx ever had. Of course, on the other hand if you live in Kansas you probably don’t need a compact either. I just think that a lot of people never learn to pedal properly. I’m not saying that somebody should do a time trial or triathlon a 100+ rpm, but if a rider can’t pedal for relatively short (1 minute or so) durations at 100 or 110, they need to work on their pedaling, not buy a bigger chain ring. BTW, in that vein racing on the track does wonders for your abilities as a cyclist.

Unless you've got some Tony Martin type skills, you could be making a change that's counter-productive. You can find the interview at the link below:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Interview/Getting_faster_with_age_3693.ht...

As far as style and weight of your chainring, I'd have to say that it makes not appreciable difference.
2014-09-06 6:49 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
One of the fundamental approaches to system optimization is to identify the part of the system that makes the largest contribution to the outcome of interest, and try to make improvements there. For example: a 100% improvement in a subsystem that contributes 1% of the total outcome will yield a 1% overall system improvement; however, a 5% improvement to a subsystem used 50% of the time will yield a 2.5% overall system improvement. So, all other things being equal, the small 5% improvement on the 50% subsystem would be optimal.

How does this apply to your question?

You are trying to optimize the transmission for a terrain with hills and flats. You need to know how much time is spent climbing, descending, and cruising, along with the gearing. If the time spent pedaling out on the downhill is less than 1% of the total time of the ride, then a 55 T chain ring will improve descents 3-4% since 55T chainring size increase is 3-4% larger. The overall system improvement expected would be 0.03 to 0.04% - ~2 seconds in a 2 hour ride. THAT'S TRIVIAL!!!

The tradeoff would be a larger inner chainring and a cassette with a greater range. A greater range has larger gear ratio spacing between cogs, which will result in a greater than 1% loss through in all phases of the ride. A 1% system degradation for a 2 hour bike ride is 1 minute. THE LOSS IS SIGNIFICANT!!!

2014-09-07 2:20 PM
in reply to: Six000MileYear

I really like your approach on contribution I I agree that not much will change upgrading to a 55T chainring.My training terrain consists of 40% flats-60% climb-descent and is a circular 4 hour ride (not everyday ofcourse!).During climbs and flats I push as hard as I can and there is no problem.As I wrote before is during some descents that I feel I can push even more but my 52-11 gear combination doesn't allow me to.That's why I thought of a bigger chainring.I'm not sure if a 55T is the best choice (maybe a 53 or 54T would be more appropriate) but in any case I don't know if a disc- or ring-shaped chainring is better for a triathlon configuration.From the answers above it seems it doesn't make a big difference but then again looking at pros bikes they all wear disc-shaped outer chainrings.
2014-09-07 6:34 PM

Master
Northern IL

Are you riding anywhere near what those pros are? I use a 54/42 front combination. Have tried a 56, but think the 54 worked better.  Something to think about is the front end transfer. You'll have more situations where you'll need to switch between the big & small rings or run into grinding or spinning out as the rear equivalent is a several gear jump. I see 70 kph is ~43 mph. This isn't really *that* fast for a descent, especially when it's a peak speed and not sustained for long periods of time. Recommend work on spinning better so that this isn't an issue. Pros want the 55 or 56 for something like the descent on Hawi because they'll be going 50-55 mph for several miles. They're also strong enough that on easier courses they won't be shifting on the front so much. Even on hillier courses they also can still use tighter cassettes in the rear as they're strong enough for most courses to not need the lower ones an amateur might.

2014-09-08 2:50 PM
in reply to: brigby1

That's what I found on STRAVA regarding the big Hawi descent and speed/power http://www.strava.com/segments/hawi-descent-797251
I don't think I have to spin faster than 110 RPM and I don't think it's too safe to spin so fast while speeding on a descent.I would prefer spinning at 90 (or less) RPM on a bigger chainring.
2014-09-08 9:50 PM

Master
Northern IL

Recommend working on your cadence range instead. I tend to do best in the 80's as well, but can spin at said 110 for a bit without any issues. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chainring questions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Chainring Question???

Started by korymac
Views: 584 Posts: 4

2013-02-06 9:32 AM rick4657

Chainring question

Started by donzi8
Views: 626 Posts: 3

2009-02-21 6:40 AM KML

Dumb chainring question

Started by Apodysophilic
Views: 908 Posts: 14

2007-10-19 10:08 AM ride_like_u_stole_it

???Chainring Question???

Started by Pop
Views: 595 Posts: 9

2007-07-21 5:37 AM Pop

Front Chainring Question

Started by mchieffallo
Views: 659 Posts: 3

2007-04-15 10:15 PM jase714
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 12, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?

date : October 5, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 4
The grand pull to Kona is both a product of our sport's mythology, marketing, and the intangible desires that each create.
date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.

date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?
date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.
date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?

date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.