General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Oktoberfest Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-09-21 3:35 PM
in reply to: S_Franklin99

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Oktoberfest Tri

Good job!  My transition times were almost exactly the same; I know I need to work on them.  Bike was 45:34 (13/20 AG) and run was 30:16 (10/20).  If it weren't for the stupid swim mistake, I'd be pretty happy with my race.  Times are much better than my last race and my run is about the same time as my last stand-alone 5k. 

Considering that at the end of January, I'd had 2.5 years of no exercise due to severe back pain and 2 hip surgeries, I've come a heck of a long way.  I have to take comfort in that and just let go of the swim.  I made it to the start line, made it to the finish line, didn't throw up, and was able to encourage others and have fun the whole time.  That's really what it's about: having fun, learning, and doing one's best.  By those measures, I won.

2014-09-21 3:44 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Denver, CO

Yay, a podium on your first race!!!  That's a way to get hooked, that's for sure!!

For the off-season, you should do the Chilly Cheeks duathlon series at Cherry Creek State Park.  It's a lot of fun, happens in Dec., Jan., and Feb. regardless of the weather.  DH did it once when there were 6" of snow.  Pretty silly but it's well organized and cheap.  I'm going to do that while also training for a March half marathon.  Taking a couple weeks off from everything, though.  I need a break.

IMs can take a LOT of time.  Figure at least 10-15 hrs/week, if not more.

2014-09-22 4:01 PM

User image

Those are some solid times Mary. I know rules are rules but it's too bad for the DQ instead of a time penalty. But your attitude is perfect... good for you!

I was already looking through some events Racing Underground has for the winter because I have some volunteer credit with them. I totally missed the Chilly Cheeks Series thinking it was just running but it looks like fun. I like to idea of riding my mtn bike if I needed to on snow packed roads. The spring duathlon series looks good as does the Front Range Tri series. How many races are too many? At any rate, I think my answers as to how to stay busy this off season have been answered. Now just wish my cousin's inspirational IM was earlier this year.
2014-09-22 7:25 PM
in reply to: driftin' by

User image

Denver, CO

How many races is too many?  Depends....

I'm trying to stay uninjured so I'm going to take it fairly easy to avoid overuse injuries or burning out.  Here's my plan for the off-season and next summer:

• Chilly Cheeks du series in Dec., Jan., and Feb.
  • Zion 1/2 marathon in March
  • Boulder Sunrise sprint tri in June
  • another sprint tri (TBD)
  • an Olympic tri (TBD)

There will probably be some 5/10k's thrown in there for good measure and maybe the Cherry Creek Sneak 10-miler at the end of April with a couple of coworkers.
I'm also going to do a "swim conditioning" class at the rec center.  It's a semi-coached almost-master class type thing.  I've talked with the instructor and he's going to help me work on swim form as well as strengthening for my hip.  They have it 2x/week but I'll probably just go 1x/week just because of everything else I'm going to do.

If you do the Chilly Cheeks, let me know and we can arrange to meet up.

2014-09-24 1:10 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Photos are online...

(Tri Bike.JPG)

(Tri Run 1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Tri Bike.JPG (64KB - 2 downloads)
Tri Run 1.JPG (57KB - 2 downloads)
2014-09-25 5:47 PM

User image

Nice pics. I like the head-on bike shot. I thought any other pictures of me were a waste of pixels which is a good thing considering how much they cost. Yikes!

2014-09-26 9:49 AM
in reply to: driftin' by

User image

I just screen captured and cropped them...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Oktoberfest Tri Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Oktoberfest?

Started by doctorbob18
Views: 1545 Posts: 9

2009-09-28 6:58 PM julta

Oktoberfest Triathlon Longmont

Started by fildiablo
Views: 1678 Posts: 3

2009-08-30 4:40 AM fildiablo

Oktoberfest Sprint - Longmont, Sept 6

Started by FF Stock
Views: 1031 Posts: 3

2008-08-19 10:07 PM FF Stock

Boy's First Tri - Tri The Rock

Started by bvfrompc
Views: 811 Posts: 2

2008-06-05 11:57 AM rayd

Ft. Collins Club Tri Roll Call

Started by TriForrestTri
Views: 1198 Posts: 15

2005-09-10 10:52 PM line
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
author : SrhShepherd
comments : 9
How triathlon helped me become the person I wanted to be

date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?
date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.

date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.
date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.

date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
comments : 0
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !