General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Times Slowing Dramatically Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-09-09 3:13 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Subject: RE: Swim Times Slowing Dramatically
Originally posted by mehaner

they were pool swim races...hard to mismeasure that.

OP "I also swam 7 minutes slower in an ows this year compared to last year (Taylorsville Half Ironman.) "

2014-09-09 3:38 PM
in reply to: chris948

User image

I just read all of the posts. There seems to be some information missing because it doesn't add up.

Since you swim with a coach, that's the person you should be asking because he/she knows the details of your swimming.
2014-09-09 9:04 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

New user
KY
Originally posted by jennifer_runs

I just read all of the posts. There seems to be some information missing because it doesn't add up.

Since you swim with a coach, that's the person you should be asking because he/she knows the details of your swimming.

I have spoken with coaches already. I would be happy to provide the missing information that doesn't add up. What more would you like to know?

I apologize if this is not the appropriate subject matter for this forum. I was just really hoping someone might be able to help. Thanks.
2014-09-09 9:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
KY
And thank you to all of you who have taken the time to offer advice. There are definitely some things to think about, and I appreciate that.

And I did locate some of the missing information. This is a link to the USMS postal swim I did when I first joined Master's. This was early 2012 and I completed the USMS one-hour postal swim with 2,930 yards. I'm in the 30-34 age group at that time:

http://www.usms.org/longdist/ldnats12/1hrresultsf.pdf

Edited by erinrockrun 2014-09-09 9:23 PM
2014-09-09 9:29 PM
in reply to: erinrockrun

Originally posted by erinrockrun

I have spoken with coaches already. I would be happy to provide the missing information that doesn't add up. What more would you like to know?

I apologize if this is not the appropriate subject matter for this forum. I was just really hoping someone might be able to help. Thanks.

It's impossible to help without any videos of your swimming. Don't over think why you've slowed down, the fact is you're slow, your technique probably needs work, stick up a video, there are a lot of decent swimmers in here that will be able to spot your technique flaws straight away. And there are lots of specific drills we can recommend to address each and every flaw in your technique.
2014-09-09 9:41 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

New user
KY
Originally posted by AdventureBear

I keep checking this post every day. This subject really pains me! To slow down after focusing on swimming?

it's really easy to keep tabs on whether or not your training is leading to better fitness & overall speeds, that to see a 30 sec/100m drop from one race to a comparable race is like discovering that your business partner has been embezzling money!

What are your base paces based on? Have those been getting better over time and it was just the race that was worse?

The 1000 yards of drills & warmup...can you empirically measure how those are improving your subsequent set? are you swimming within your "green zone" of stroke length at any speed you choose? Do you ahve a range of speeds and how do those correlat with your efforts?

I'm dying for followup on this and what your thoughts are on the feedback provided so far.

Thank you, Suzanne. I have not had much time to check the post until tonight. Yes, it is like discovering a business partner is embezzling! lol

The base paces are based on a workout my coach had me do to gage both base and threshold paces. They have been getting worse over time, and we are consistently adjusting slower, as I can not maintain the paces expected of me.

The drills are always at the beginning of my workout, during the warm-up. They typically include one-arm, catch-up, fist, fingertip, and kicking on each side or some combo of the above. I do not count my strokes as much as I should but they are usually around 23 per 25 yards. I don't really have a range of speeds unless you count slow and slower :-)

On the feedback so far, I think it's apparent that there is definitely an issue with my technique. Although, the Olympic trial qualifier who swam 15k a day makes me feel like maybe I am not swimming enough. I wonder if adding some more yardage might help.

I also have slacked off on the strength training this summer to focus on HIM training. That could have something to do with it. I should add some back in, but my schedule is swamped from 5am to 9:30pm 6x a week and it's just hard to fit anything else in (those times do include my training.)

Thanks again for your help.

2014-09-09 9:43 PM
in reply to: zedzded

User image

New user
KY
Originally posted by zedzded

It's impossible to help without any videos of your swimming. Don't over think why you've slowed down, the fact is you're slow, your technique probably needs work, stick up a video, there are a lot of decent swimmers in here that will be able to spot your technique flaws straight away. And there are lots of specific drills we can recommend to address each and every flaw in your technique.

Thanks, I have a date with a Go-Pro camera next Weds.
2014-09-10 12:19 AM

Thanks, I have a date with a Go-Pro camera next Weds.

Cool - see if you can get underwater and above water footage
2014-09-10 12:23 AM

I wonder if adding some more yardage might help.

No it won't. Your conditioning will improve, but you will still be swimming with a flawed technique and your times won't vastly increase until you address the technique issues. Once people have identified whats going on, it will take time to fix everything up, so be patient
2014-09-10 1:12 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

I wonder if adding some more yardage might help.

No it won't. Your conditioning will improve, but you will still be swimming with a flawed technique and your times won't vastly increase until you address the technique issues. Once people have identified whats going on, it will take time to fix everything up, so be patient

Don't quote me on that...that was her comment. More yards will most dEFINATELY not help.
2014-09-10 1:18 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

Don't quote me on that...that was her comment. More yards will most dEFINATELY not help.

Sorry I stuffed up my quotes, I'll edit my post!

2014-09-10 1:19 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
The drills are always at the beginning of my workout, during the warm-up. They typically include one-arm, catch-up, fist, fingertip, and kicking on each side or some combo of the above. I do not count my strokes as much as I should but they are usually around 23 per 25 yards. I don't really have a range of speeds unless you count slow and slower :-)

You don't need more time to swim, you just need more specific swim help. The video will help immensely. I'd suggest getting a tempo trainer so you can empirically make some changes and develop a range of stroke lengths. How tall are you? Unless you are very short 23 strokes barely moves you 50% of your stroke length.

When you work on those drills...what are your focuses? The "drill" description is only the gross motor pattern...one armed swimming for example could focus on any myriad of things including buoyancy, 2 beat kick, 6 beat kick, rotation, catch, rotation to opposite side, breathing to same side as stroking arm, breathing to opposite side of stroking arm, using the non-stroking arm as rotational ballast or keeping it at the side or ... the list goes on... There needs to be a reason for a drill.

Do X drill and focus on A, B or C.

Catch up drill for example...are you pausing at "flat"? or are you doing more of a 3/4 catch up to keep the rotational momentum goign? do you have a problem with stroking too soon? (if so catch up could help, if not, then it's likely hurting you).

Can you swim by choice at 20, 21, 22 or 23 strokes per length? Your technique and stroke pressure changes subtly to create these "gear changes" in the water and when you learn your range of gears you have many more options for swim speeds.

When you do fingertip drill, are you just focusing on the fingertips or are you paying attention to rotation, distance from body, leading the recovery with the elbow (or not), tension in the fingers or wrist pushing water in front of you rather than trailing the fingertips?

There are just so many nuances that it seems apparent the coaches may just be guessing at drills and assigning them en masse to the whole group.

2014-09-10 1:20 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

Originally posted by Somebody Else

Sorry I stuffed up my quotes, I'll edit my post!

Lol...no worries!
2014-09-10 2:34 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

On the feedback so far, I think it's apparent that there is definitely an issue with my technique. Although, the Olympic trial qualifier who swam 15k a day makes me feel like maybe I am not swimming enough. I wonder if adding some more yardage might help. I also have slacked off on the strength training this summer to focus on HIM training.

I am the one who is guilty of qualifying for an Olympic Trial.  Swimming more yards per day or week is absolutely useless if your technique is poor.  If we assume that the times you have cited are correct and there is indeed a fairly significant slowdown then either training volume or stroke technique are the most likely reasons.  My question is when was the last time you actually had a coach look at your stroke?  I don't just mean swim in a workout with the coach on deck, I mean having the coach focus on you and your technique (yes that is part of a coaches job and unfortunately an increasing number of coaches don't seem to do that anymore).  I would not expect significant improvement in your time at a 10,000/week training volume, however that is more than sufficient to not have a drop-off.  That leads me to believe your technique is suffering.  You mentioned that you gave 110% in your last TT attempt.  That implies to me that you were attempting to "beat the water into submission."  Stated another way, your technique was likely not as efficient as it could be.  If your coach cannot identify why you are losing speed then quite simply, you need to find a new coach.

2014-09-10 5:04 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
I'm curious about the two 400's - were they both in the pool and in conditions where you were able to swim hard throughout?

Also, what do you swim an all out 100 in?

Shane
2014-09-11 9:00 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

New user
KY
Originally posted by gsmacleod

I'm curious about the two 400's - were they both in the pool and in conditions where you were able to swim hard throughout?

Also, what do you swim an all out 100 in?

Shane

Yes, they were both in a pool and I avoided any traffic. The first one (7:06) was 400 yards in a 25 yard pool and the second one was 400 meters in a 25m pool, which would transfer to about 9:00 for 400 yards.

I did a time trial yesterday and my fastest 100y was 2:13. The onext two were 2:16 and 2:17. This again caused frustration, as I was able to hold about a 2:00 pace for an hour just a couple months after learning to swim freestyle in 2012.

2014-09-11 9:10 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

Yes, they were both in a pool and I avoided any traffic. The first one (7:06) was 400 yards in a 25 yard pool and the second one was 400 meters in a 25m pool, which would transfer to about 9:00 for 400 yards.

I did a time trial yesterday and my fastest 100y was 2:13. The onext two were 2:16 and 2:17. This again caused frustration, as I was able to hold about a 2:00 pace for an hour just a couple months after learning to swim freestyle in 2012.

I would guess that you need to meet with someone who knows how to teach swimming - the regression is pretty unusual, especially the differential and if you are getting slower with masters, then I would suspect there are some serious technique flaws that a swimming instructor could assist you with.

Shane
2014-09-11 9:11 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

New user
KY
Originally posted by k9car363

On the feedback so far, I think it's apparent that there is definitely an issue with my technique. Although, the Olympic trial qualifier who swam 15k a day makes me feel like maybe I am not swimming enough. I wonder if adding some more yardage might help. I also have slacked off on the strength training this summer to focus on HIM training.

I am the one who is guilty of qualifying for an Olympic Trial.  Swimming more yards per day or week is absolutely useless if your technique is poor.  If we assume that the times you have cited are correct and there is indeed a fairly significant slowdown then either training volume or stroke technique are the most likely reasons.  My question is when was the last time you actually had a coach look at your stroke?  I don't just mean swim in a workout with the coach on deck, I mean having the coach focus on you and your technique (yes that is part of a coaches job and unfortunately an increasing number of coaches don't seem to do that anymore).  I would not expect significant improvement in your time at a 10,000/week training volume, however that is more than sufficient to not have a drop-off.  That leads me to believe your technique is suffering.  You mentioned that you gave 110% in your last TT attempt.  That implies to me that you were attempting to "beat the water into submission."  Stated another way, your technique was likely not as efficient as it could be.  If your coach cannot identify why you are losing speed then quite simply, you need to find a new coach.

Thanks, Scott. Yes, both the coaching situations involve a coach walking on deck and giving pointers. I also did some open water swimming with a different coach weekly last month. He was in the water with me, but his tips were more ows oriented, such as sighting and handling mass starts and tight turns, so irrelevant to stroke technique.

I definitely believe my technique is suffering. I don't even feel the fluidity that I used to. It does seem like I'm "beating the water."

I did make an appointment with a friend who is a post-collegiate swimmer and was just 1st in her division in the swim at IMLou. She's going to spend an hour in the pool with me working on technique and recording with a Go-Pro. I'm hoping she might be able to tweak my form and get me moving in the right direction. Do you think that could help?

I guess I've been exceptionally frustrated because my A race, Augusta, is in two weeks. In 2012, I did it as my first half on about 3-4k weekly average and swam 30:00 flat. Granted, it's current-aided, but ti was still enough to put me in about the top 25-30% of my division. I'm hoping this year I can get within 10 minutes of that.
2014-09-11 10:52 AM
in reply to: #5047639

User image

Erin,

Has your training for the bike and run increased and do you swim at the beginning of the day or at the end of the day?

Best regards,

Tim
2014-09-11 11:10 AM
in reply to: snappingt

User image

New user
KY
Originally posted by snappingt

Erin,

Has your training for the bike and run increased and do you swim at the beginning of the day or at the end of the day?

Best regards,

Tim

All my training has increased as I build to my peak HIM training (this week) but the bike and run mileage is no more than I've done while training for other Half Ironmans.

I sometimes swim in the am and sometimes early afternoon.
2014-09-12 1:14 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

I don't even feel the fluidity that I used to. It does seem like I'm "beating the water."

I did make an appointment with a friend who is a post-collegiate swimmer and was just 1st in her division in the swim at IMLou. She's going to spend an hour in the pool with me working on technique and recording with a Go-Pro. I'm hoping she might be able to tweak my form and get me moving in the right direction. Do you think that could help?

I guess I've been exceptionally frustrated because my A race, Augusta, is in two weeks. In 2012, I did it as my first half on about 3-4k weekly average and swam 30:00 flat. Granted, it's current-aided, but ti was still enough to put me in about the top 25-30% of my division. I'm hoping this year I can get within 10 minutes of that.

I see this often, although not as dramatically, that in the search for speed, people "outswim" themselves under the guise of "building fitness"

I'm sure your swim date will help a TON.

2014-09-12 8:34 AM
in reply to: #5049062

User image

Erin,

I've seen it frequently when training is at the peak for the bike and run the swim can suffer fairly dramatically. Although, your description of your slow down is a lot more severe than any athlete I've ever seen. Given that much of a slow down I wouldn't pin it on any one issue. It's probably a whole range of issues from changes in technique to just overall general fatigue. In my experience, the swim shows over training stress the earliest compared to the bike and run. It's kind of the "canary in the coal mine." When you start your taper for the bike and run you should start to see a fairly substantial improvement in your swim times. But at the end of the day 10k a week for a HIM is not a huge volume of swim training and shouldn't be impacting your swimming negatively.

When you joined the masters team were the workouts with the team dramatically different from what you had done previously. I know you increased your volume by about 50%, but did the focus of the practices shift? Also, how did the coach suggest you change your stroke? Do you have a coach that is working with you on the bike and run? If yes, are the swim coach and your triathlon coach on the same page in terms of your training? Has your diet changed significantly over the past year? Do you weigh the same when you were going faster? And have you been injured or undergone any surgeries since you've been slowing down?

Best regards,

Tim

2014-09-12 1:25 PM
in reply to: snappingt

User image

New user
KY
Originally posted by snappingt

Erin,

I've seen it frequently when training is at the peak for the bike and run the swim can suffer fairly dramatically. Although, your description of your slow down is a lot more severe than any athlete I've ever seen. Given that much of a slow down I wouldn't pin it on any one issue. It's probably a whole range of issues from changes in technique to just overall general fatigue. In my experience, the swim shows over training stress the earliest compared to the bike and run. It's kind of the "canary in the coal mine." When you start your taper for the bike and run you should start to see a fairly substantial improvement in your swim times. But at the end of the day 10k a week for a HIM is not a huge volume of swim training and shouldn't be impacting your swimming negatively.

When you joined the masters team were the workouts with the team dramatically different from what you had done previously. I know you increased your volume by about 50%, but did the focus of the practices shift? Also, how did the coach suggest you change your stroke? Do you have a coach that is working with you on the bike and run? If yes, are the swim coach and your triathlon coach on the same page in terms of your training? Has your diet changed significantly over the past year? Do you weigh the same when you were going faster? And have you been injured or undergone any surgeries since you've been slowing down?

Best regards,

Tim

Tim, the Master's coach pointed out hand entry pretty consistently, but that was about the only main critique. The practices stay the same whether I'm in or out of Masters. The coach emails them to me during the times of year when I can not afford Masters (I've been on and off since 2012.) When I'm not at Master's, I go to a coached stroke improvement class. That coach's main critique is that I need to get back to bilateral breathing. I have gotten to comfortable breathing solely on my left. The triathlon and swim coaches all provide pretty similar workouts, with drill-focused warm-ups and main sets of varying intervals, usually of 3-4k.Diet and weight are the same, although I have backed off strength training during these last few months. No injuries, knock on wood!

2014-09-12 3:02 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

Erin,

Do you have a sense of whether your stroke cadence has changed?  If it has slowed, then, absent technique/stream-line improvement, you're going to slow down.  If it has stayed the same or sped up, then you have technique/stream-line issues.  Btw, I've found the Finis Tempo Trainer to be a handy tool for monitoring and working on stroke cadence.  Ideally, you'll want to speed up your cadence has long as technique doesn't suffer.

Are you a lot faster with the pull buoy?  If you are, then I would guess you've got balance/drag issues that need to be worked on.  If your hips are dragging, you could be working hard without going faster. Make sure you keep your head neutral in the water...if it goes up, the hips drop...not good.  Try this...go into a floating position and engage your core so your legs come up.  Note your head position when you're doing this.  If you're carrying your head higher than this while you're swimming you're hips will be dropping and you've just created more drag...not good.

I can't remember if you said how many strokes it takes you to go 25 yards.  Ideally, you want that number less than 20..higher than that would indicate your catch and pull need some work.  Try this (we did it the other night in class)...6x50 and drop a stroke on each 50.  On the first 50 get an average for the number of strokes it takes for each 25...say its 22.  On the next 50 you'll want to drop the average per 25 down to 21...20 on the next 50, etc....  To me, this set gets me to focus on 1) staying streamlined and 2) getting the most distance out of each stroke.

Couple more things..

If your kick has gotten too wide its going to create additional drag...keep it fairly tight. 

If you over-rotate to breathe you'll end up scissor-kicking...more drag.

Hopefully, you'll find a nugget in here that's helpful.  When post a video, the coaches and swim experts on this site can give you more specific analysis and tips.

Joel

2014-09-12 7:22 PM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

New user
KY
Originally posted by JoelO

Erin,

Do you have a sense of whether your stroke cadence has changed?  If it has slowed, then, absent technique/stream-line improvement, you're going to slow down.  If it has stayed the same or sped up, then you have technique/stream-line issues.  Btw, I've found the Finis Tempo Trainer to be a handy tool for monitoring and working on stroke cadence.  Ideally, you'll want to speed up your cadence has long as technique doesn't suffer.

Are you a lot faster with the pull buoy?  If you are, then I would guess you've got balance/drag issues that need to be worked on.  If your hips are dragging, you could be working hard without going faster. Make sure you keep your head neutral in the water...if it goes up, the hips drop...not good.  Try this...go into a floating position and engage your core so your legs come up.  Note your head position when you're doing this.  If you're carrying your head higher than this while you're swimming you're hips will be dropping and you've just created more drag...not good.

I can't remember if you said how many strokes it takes you to go 25 yards.  Ideally, you want that number less than 20..higher than that would indicate your catch and pull need some work.  Try this (we did it the other night in class)...6x50 and drop a stroke on each 50.  On the first 50 get an average for the number of strokes it takes for each 25...say its 22.  On the next 50 you'll want to drop the average per 25 down to 21...20 on the next 50, etc....  To me, this set gets me to focus on 1) staying streamlined and 2) getting the most distance out of each stroke.

Couple more things..

If your kick has gotten too wide its going to create additional drag...keep it fairly tight. 

If you over-rotate to breathe you'll end up scissor-kicking...more drag.

Hopefully, you'll find a nugget in here that's helpful.  When post a video, the coaches and swim experts on this site can give you more specific analysis and tips.

Joel

Thanks for the info. Yes, I do think it's a balance/ drag issue because I do go faster with a pull buoy. That never used to be the case, so I must have picked up a bad habit in that regard. It takes me too many strokes to go 25. I'm bad at counting, but I think it's usually 22 to 25 at least... so the pull and catch needs work, too. I will try to play with the floating position and see what I notice about my head. I do always keep it pointing down so that I can see the bottom of the pool.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Times Slowing Dramatically Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Swim faster by not swimming slow

Started by E=H2O
Views: 1972 Posts: 14

2010-04-22 12:52 PM E=H2O

Swim pace for long, slow swims???

Started by latestarter
Views: 8590 Posts: 12

2009-04-05 8:27 AM MKAH

Swim: how slow is slow? Pages: 1 2

Started by steve d
Views: 3803 Posts: 38

2008-03-12 10:33 AM kimmitri408

Has anyone dramatically improved their run speed? Pages: 1 2

Started by krludwig
Views: 2559 Posts: 32

2007-10-03 1:28 AM KSC

Dramatically new and high MHR on the bike

Started by David14
Views: 731 Posts: 9

2005-07-29 4:22 AM Special K
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 29, 2011
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
If swim workouts are much more trying than your bike and run workouts, try these tips

date : May 6, 2011
author : garyhallsr
Being comfortable in the water and knowing where your body parts are trump power and strength any day
date : November 16, 2009
Discussions on a good stroke count, getting faster on the swim, swim drills to get faster, recommended swim drill time and 'my wetsuit is making me slow'.

date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 2
I’m terrified of biking hills and the triathlon I am registered for has several hills…on AND off road!! I’m willing to do whatever it takes to finish this triathlon. Any guidance?

date : October 2, 2005
author : writers2
comments : 20
My First Half Ironman Experience-A Slow, Fat, Old Triathlete. Here is my story of my first, and probably only Half Ironman. I’m an almost 52 year old, VERY Athena triathlete.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
comments : 1
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : October 10, 2004
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...