General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thoughts on California's new 3 foot passing law? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-09-23 10:32 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Subject: RE: Thoughts on California's new 3 foot passing law?

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by SevenZulu

I haven't noticed a difference since the law took effect.  I think the only drivers it would influence are not the ones that you would like to influence.  There are still, and always will be, inconsiderate, selfish *#%@s who will buzz within inches of you.

Really, I feel that government needs to go the other way with traffic signs and laws.  I would like to see bicycle lanes repainted with the bicycle symbol and a cell phone symbol, so that any driver who needs to dive into that narrow strip of road in order to get that urgent text composed will feel welcome to do so.  I would also like to see all of the 'No stopping any time' signs changed to 'No stopping any time *unless texting*.'

Never going to happen.  Stopped motorists get hit by other motorists......don't ask me why it happens, but it does.  A stopped vehicle is like a magnet for a moving vehicle.  I saw a study or paper on it once upon a time.....it has something to do with going where your eyes go...and your eyes go to the stopped vehicle.

If you need to text, get off the roadway.....or become a casualty yourself.

Sorry, I needed to put that second paragraph in sarc font.  It's my pet peeve that the bike lanes and no-stopping zones have turned into texting lanes.  Heck, yesterday I saw a guy in the center turn lane just parked there and texting.  I've been rear-ended twice in the past three years by texters.  I do everything I can now to get away from main roads and stay in quiet residential areas when riding, not that it helps much.  I was riding with my son near our home when a lady came straight at him on the wrong side of the road in her Escalade, her phone straight in front of her face above the steering wheel.

So yeah, pass all the 3 foot laws you want.  Unless we can get a Magnum Force out there with a license to waste anybody texting or DUI, these sorts of laws aren't going to make an iota of difference.

2014-09-24 9:45 AM

User image

We've had that law in Utah for years, it is rarely followed and even more rarely enforced. The only benefit gained is if a motorist hits a cyclist because they didn't give the three feet then the cops can cite them for additional charges. It's not going to reduce the number of distracted drivers nor the number of cyclist hit by cars it will just give law enforcement another tool when it does happen. The problem is the laws are too lax when a motorist hits a cyclist as long as they are not distracted or impaired. Earlier in the year a motorist hit and killed a cyclist in Salt Lake City and because he was not impaired or distracted he got 6 months in prison. He killed someone and got 6 months jail time and that's it and his excuse was the sun was in his eyes.
2014-09-24 9:52 AM
in reply to: sirdizzy

User image

Pro

Originally posted by sirdizzy We've had that law in Utah for years, it is rarely followed and even more rarely enforced. The only benefit gained is if a motorist hits a cyclist because they didn't give the three feet then the cops can cite them for additional charges. It's not going to reduce the number of distracted drivers nor the number of cyclist hit by cars it will just give law enforcement another tool when it does happen. The problem is the laws are too lax when a motorist hits a cyclist as long as they are not distracted or impaired. Earlier in the year a motorist hit and killed a cyclist in Salt Lake City and because he was not impaired or distracted he got 6 months in prison. He killed someone and got 6 months jail time and that's it and his excuse was the sun was in his eyes.

Actually, it's kind of hard to believe he got any time......that rarely happens.  I wonder if he actually served any of it or got a suspended imposition of sentence.

2014-09-24 10:01 AM
in reply to: punkster

, Virginia

We have this law here in North Carolina but it is rarely enforced. Several people in the group I ride in have been clipped by cars and then assaulted by the driver of the vehicle because the cyclist was in the way. Can't comment on what action followed but I do know that all a driver has to say is the cyclist swerved and I couldn't avoid him. 

3 feet is good but I agree with LB, six feet would be much better........IF the law was actually followed.

2014-09-24 10:04 AM
in reply to: tarheeltri9

User image

Hereford, England
Originally posted by tarheeltri9

We have this law here in North Carolina but it is rarely enforced. Several people in the group I ride in have been clipped by cars and then assaulted by the driver of the vehicle because the cyclist was in the way. Can't comment on what action followed but I do know that all a driver has to say is the cyclist swerved and I couldn't avoid him. 

3 feet is good but I agree with LB, six feet would be much better........IF the law was actually followed.

I'm a driving instructor in the UK, and I'm sure I read somewhere that in the US that a court ruled that cyclists are legally allowed to wobble. (can't remember which state, or where I read it, but it does sound good to the learner drivers). Anyone heard of that?
2014-09-24 10:11 AM

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by sirdizzy We've had that law in Utah for years, it is rarely followed and even more rarely enforced. The only benefit gained is if a motorist hits a cyclist because they didn't give the three feet then the cops can cite them for additional charges. It's not going to reduce the number of distracted drivers nor the number of cyclist hit by cars it will just give law enforcement another tool when it does happen. The problem is the laws are too lax when a motorist hits a cyclist as long as they are not distracted or impaired. Earlier in the year a motorist hit and killed a cyclist in Salt Lake City and because he was not impaired or distracted he got 6 months in prison. He killed someone and got 6 months jail time and that's it and his excuse was the sun was in his eyes.

Actually, it's kind of hard to believe he got any time......that rarely happens.  I wonder if he actually served any of it or got a suspended imposition of sentence.

I do believe it got suspended I tried to google it but couldn't remember when it happened, it was on my facebook feed several months back from the Utah Biking Alliance as they were trying to stiffen the penalties for such killings.

2014-09-24 11:03 AM
in reply to: sirdizzy

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

This handy product works much better than some stupid law that won't be enforced.

http://kalecoauto.com/?main_page=product_info&products_id=55

2014-09-24 3:50 PM
in reply to: Eucid

, Virginia

Originally posted by Eucid
Originally posted by tarheeltri9

I'm a driving instructor in the UK, and I'm sure I read somewhere that in the US that a court ruled that cyclists are legally allowed to wobble. (can't remember which state, or where I read it, but it does sound good to the learner drivers). Anyone heard of that?

Here's a link that somewhat discusses this:

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/transport-and-streets/road-safety/road-safety-cycling-information-and-advice/

2014-09-25 7:08 AM
in reply to: tarheeltri9

User image

Virginia has passed a 3' law, I think. This state has some of the most discourteous drivers (to cyclists) of any place I have been. In reality, 3' is OK if you are passing about 15 mph faster, but you should add another foot minimum for each 5 mph above that (driver at 45 passing 15 mph cyclist should give him 6'). I know that these laws are almost impossible to enforce. The chief value might be to get the issue included in driver training courses for teenagers. My 16 year old daughter is not a bike rider, and had to be carefully schooled on safe passing distance as she was learning how to drive. You basically CANNOT pass a cyclist around here on a two lane road with traffic coming the opposite way. She knows now to cool her heels, back off, and cross the double yellow when the oncoming lane is clear.
2014-09-27 8:52 AM
in reply to: #5047751

User image

We have that law in ct too. I ve had a cop passme withi 3feet and buses still do it all the time. I think it mostly sets a standard to prove the passing motorist was wrong if they hit you. I couldnt find what sort of fines you get for passing closer.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Thoughts on California's new 3 foot passing law? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

400m Snake Swim - Passing and being passed

Started by SteveA
Views: 2813 Posts: 11

2009-05-22 11:06 PM breckview

3 feet please, it's the law Pages: 1 2

Started by the bear
Views: 2363 Posts: 31

2009-03-12 12:44 PM Baowolf

Buimmer - California's Camp Pendleton Olympic cancelled

Started by ChrisM