United States
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 19m 37s
Overall Rank = 169/363
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 31/42
Pre-race routine:

Drove 800 miles the day before the race, went to Cafe Du Monde for beignets at 11 pm, then tried to get some sleep before the alarm went off at 4:30 am. Had my new usual, Belvita Breakfast Biscuits and some milk before heading to the race site.
Event warmup:

After setting up transition, I walked down to the river to check out the run course and did a few easy stretches. Used the first mile as my primary warm-up.
Run
  • 19m 4s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt good starting out, thought I was moving at a pretty good pace, until I made the first turn and realized there were only 3 guys behind me.
What would you do differently?:

Run faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

Kind of cramped at the mount line, tried running a little past where the back up was and got yelled at to "mount now." Should have just taken the few extra steps to clear the guy in front of me, but got startled and tried mounting in a crowd, didn't fall, but wasn't my normal graceful flying mount that I'm used to.

Not let a volunteer tell me what to do, as in "mount now." I'm pretty sure there is no rule stopping me from running the entire way with my bike.
Bike
  • 35m 13s
  • 10 miles
  • 17.04 mile/hr
Comments:

This bike leg was the reason I signed up for this race. As a little kid, I would imagine what it would be like to ride my bike over that bridge when we would go visit my cousins. Honestly one of the coolest bike legs of any race I've done.

I broke the "nothing new on race day rule" and tried mounting my GoPro to the underside of my aero bars in hopes of filming my ride up and over the bridge. It worked great until I hit the first railroad crossing at mile 1 and the camera rotated straight down. I didn't notice it until I saw my shadow on the way back into T2. I filmed my front wheel and the road the whole time. Guess I'll have to do this race again.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Left shoe popped off as I jumped off the bike. This is the second time this has happened. Need to check the tension on the clips.

Replace the clips on my cleats.
Run
  • 22m 55s
  • 2 miles
  • 11m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

HOT!!! Not much shade along the trail. Neat view of the Mississippi River. The only bad part was running past a sewage treatment plant, that stunk.

Run faster and hold my breath for the 200 yards by the turd factory.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood in the shade for a few minutes before heading for the beer truck.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fat and out of shape.

Event comments:

One of the best organized races I've done. RD was very good with communication, especially since I was coming in from out of state. Lots of volunteers and Police support. Live band for the post race party and the Mayor handed out the awards. And the food was good as well, grilled chicken, red beans and rice, coleslaw, and self-serve Budweiser.

Last updated: 2014-03-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:04 | 02 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 36/42
Overall: 226/363
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back into a lollipop around the downtown area. Rough roads with some sections of cobbles.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:14
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:35:13 | 10 miles | 17.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 26/42
Overall: 125/363
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back over the Cross Town Connection bridge that connects Gretna with New Orleans. Coolest bike leg ever.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 77
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:55 | 02 miles | 11m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/42
Overall: 210/363
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back along the Mississippi River Levee Trail.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2014-09-07 10:18 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Subject: Bridgeman 104 Duathlon

2014-09-08 6:17 AM
in reply to: #5047759

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Bridgeman 104 Duathlon

Good job. I hope all is well with you.

2014-09-09 11:38 AM
in reply to: #5047759

User image

Subject: RE: Bridgeman 104 Duathlon
I've done this race for the past 2 years...it is truly awesome riding over the Crescent Connection Bridge. I grew up on the West Bank and still drive back for this race (12 hours round trip). I've done the Crescent City Connection Bridge run in the past but really prefer the Bridgeman Duathlon! The view is the best part. Great race, good support staff, awesome post race party and food. Congratulations on your race, hope your video works out next year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bridgeman 104 Duathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bridgeman 104 Duathlon

Started by Rdracer99
Views: 1005 Posts: 1

2014-06-10 4:00 PM Rdracer99

PB&J Duathlon (Law Day Duathlon)

Started by nccgrap
Views: 1720 Posts: 1

2008-05-03 8:01 PM nccgrap

National Capital Duathlon - International Duathlon

Started by 42at44
Views: 918 Posts: 1

2007-08-04 9:39 PM 42at44

Bruce Bridgeman Memorial Run

Started by kenj
Views: 1194 Posts: 1

2007-05-27 7:07 PM kenj

Bridge City Duathlon (Duathlon - Sprint)

Started by stbrrn
Views: 1074 Posts: 5

2007-05-01 7:27 PM Artemis
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
My first duathlon was a success. I had so many fears before the race but none of those fears happened. And when it was all over, I felt I had accomplished something big.

date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program should be used for an athlete who is new to duathlon and their goal is to complete a sprint duathlon without difficulty. The schedule consists of 3 workouts per week in each sport.
date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who is an experienced duathlete and their goal is to complete a medium distance duathlon without difficulty.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.
date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"I was wondering if this is a sensible approach? Should I get "better" on short distance and then move to something longer or do what I want if I feel I can do it whatever the time?"

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout.