General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Keeping it going, year after year? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-08 2:56 PM

Veteran
41° 4' 36" N 71° 56' 10" W
Subject: Keeping it going, year after year?
So I have been at this Tri thing for 8 years now.

It started out almost as a "dare" at my kid's birthday party - one of the other dads told me i should consider doing a triathlon.
I had a few beers in me, so i told him "OK you're on, I'll do the next one with you"
Then I went home and went on-line and signed up,. I told my wife and others in my family I was doing a triathlon, so that I couldn't quietly back out.

It was only a sprint, but still iintimidating, the thought of going from couch to tri when i wasn't sure I could even run a few blocks at that point.

No 8 years later I've done mostly sprints and Oly's, as well as some longer distance runs, bike rides and open water swims. (For some reason the swimmiong comes easiest for me). Each race with a few miles to go, I ask myself why. And then I cross the finish line and we talk about next time. Always a next time.

There were times when health concerns kept me out of competition, and there was even a fear I'd have to give it up entirely. But even after surgery, I couldnt sit still and was walking and then power walking well ahead of schedule.

The races are cool, some races go better than others, but for me its all about the training. I have a routine for each season, with a few breaks here and there. The running shoes, the bike and the goggles come with me whenver possible, even on vacations and business trips.

Back on here I remember discussions about "that guy." I'm not sure I was ever that guy, but I've now seen a generation of guys who just don't do the races anymore, and i just don't see them training. A few had a goal for an IM, and then there was not much more for them after that. Others had to give it up due to major problems with knees, hips, or back.

I wonder if that will be me, and i should do something like an IM before i physically can't (um, assuming I can)

This whole tri fitness thing woks for me and it is easy to quantify the results.. I lost almost 40 pounds from my heaviest ...and kept it off now for 8 years. My blood pressure is 120/80 ...everytime it is checked. My cholesterol is perfect (but also thanks to crestor). The workouts are fun. Some days i push it and other days i just go slower - I try not to be a slave to a training plan anymore..

So now I wonder what's in store for the next 8 years.

I've asked this question in the past... what got you into this, and what things will you do to keep the interest up? (assuming health holds up)

2014-09-08 4:50 PM
in reply to: JohnP_NY

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: RE: Keeping it going, year after year?

I know how you feel. I did my first triathlon in 2003 as a new years resolution. I decided I liked biking, did some bike races the next year and didn't do another tri after 2005. But I've been bike racing every year. Each year I mix it up a little which helps. I added track racing maybe 7 years ago, cyclocross racing 2 years ago and mountain bike racing last year, so that keeps it interesting. Also, there are so many types of bike races, so that helps.

Each year, I think that maybe I am not going to race next year. This usually happens sometime around mid to late season as I get more tired and summer comes to an end and I think about all the winter riding again. Then late fall, I usually meet new teammates, put my race schedule together for next season, consider some bigger goals and get all amped up again.

2014-09-08 5:36 PM

User image

99.9% of the people on this Earth are limited by one thing...TIME.  We often don't have enough time in the day to do everything we want to do, so we prioritize and do things that mean the most to us, or things that bring use the most happiness.  It doesn't have to be the same answer all the time, or every year.  It's perfectly normal for priorities to change as well as our interests.  Not everyone who attempts their first triathlon, or their first season of tris will come to the conclusion that it's a long term priority for them.  Nothing wrong with that...nor should it be a requirement to do a triathlon.

Again...we have a limited amount of time to do things.  There is no reason why we should devote all or most of our free time on one activity or hobby in life if you don't want to.  In the end, when we are on our death bed, we will look back and ask ourselves if we accomplished all that we wanted to do.  If you can more or less answer yes to that question, no matter what it is you did...then that's all that matters.

2014-09-08 5:44 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

triathlon isn't a sport for me, it's a lifestyle choice.

2014-09-08 6:39 PM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
My first Tri was in 2005 and I've mostly done HIM and Olympic with 2 Full Distance thrown in there. Last year I only raced once and not at all this year.

I'd love to race and train more but I'm in a really complicated season in my life and so this year I've just run when I can.

I find that I'm on the other side of the bubble from where I used to be. I used to dream of having a great bike and race wheels and then when I finally got them it was kind of...meh. I'm less interested in arguing about details of training and equipment now and value finding time to train and not getting injured.

Most of my friends who race triathlon are still into it but we spend less time now focused on the sport and more on life.
2014-09-08 7:08 PM

User image

Pro

You cannot stop exercising, but you can mix it up and find new goals.  Perhaps it's BQing, or if you like swimming, some 10Km ocean swims... or who knows, perhaps you'll take up mixed martial arts.  It doesn't matter what you do- only THAT you do.

Tri's are a heck of an experience- but they're far from the only one life has to offer.  Just keep moving.  Change it up to stay motivated.

2014-09-08 10:33 PM
in reply to: #5048011

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
One of the things I decided when I began endurance training 3 years ago was I would like to sample as many events possible to see what I enjoyed. So far running has the majority (the first sport I tried) and I've done most running races out there except the marathon and an ultra. However these will be in the books when time and my interests permit. Beyond running I've only done a Duathlon and a triathlon. I still have a long way to go in the swimming and biking regime and keep in mind I'm in what I call the honeymoon phase of my triathlon career so I can certainly see this sport sticking as of now. I do aspire to do a century, RAGBRAI, BQ if possible, and swimming races but I can only do so much in one season. I guess what I'm voicing is try out other events and venues. Maybe a race abroad would be fun; I'm going to try I some event in a new place (I'm thinking an IM bug who knows). I've heard of kayaking tris so there's got to be a world of different options to sample out there. Enjoy the possibilities and don't be afraid to take a detour from endurance sports to try something new!
2014-09-10 6:44 AM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

New user
Key West
I participated in my first triathlon in 1985. In those days there weren't very many around so by necessity, it was just a fluke every now and then and I stuck mostly to my running. I came back more seriously to tri's in this decade but still don't make it my main athletic endeavor. This year, for example, has been my marathon year running one in June and another coming up in November, so that has been where my attention has been. I'll start training for a few tri's after that (our season down here is opposite of anyone not in South Florida). Anyway, nothing says you can't do other sports and mix in your tri's when you want to train for them.
2016-09-26 8:33 AM
in reply to: #5048160

I'm only 4 or 5 years into it and after a number of Half's about to embark on my first full. Not sure what comes after that but (as much as the wife hates it LOL) I don't think I'll ever stop as long as my body can physically take it....
2016-09-26 8:55 AM

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
For me it has been cyclical. I have just started training again now for a HIM after a 4 year hiatus. During that time I did some running races with the Georgia marathon being my big race during that time. My priorities switched over to new job and finishing my masters. I am glad it did as it now allows me to come back in refreshed. I, like you, enjoy the training aspect. Some call it the journey, I don't know if that is how I put it but to each their own.
2016-09-26 11:25 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I guess I'm one of the "that guy"s.

I did my first tri in '84, in college. Did a single race a year before going to Alaska for the summer to pay for the next college year. After graduating and getting a full-timer, I went into tri full-tilt. Did fairly well, and that was when the race calendar was just getting interesting. I could do a sprint (or two) almost every weekend from June to September, an Oly at least every other weekend, within just a few hour's drive. Fun times.

But after a while the time commitment got too much. I "backed off" to just do bike racing. That got to be just as much of a time commitment, with even more racing.

I took a few years off everything aerobic, doing a lot of weight training and going for the big lifts. That and the lifestyle I was leading otherwise wasn't sustainable, and I made a huge change to save my sanity.

Back in tri, at a more level-headed commitment, I stayed there until some foot injuries made running difficult to impossible.

Now I'm just riding, along with framebuilding, is a good fit for my personality and life as it stands now. I did a sprint tri relay with my wife lkct01234 and ericwjacobson just a few weeks ago. I did the swim (which I've basically done none in the last 3 years). I was doing okay until rounding the buoy at the half-way point, and then I had to give up a position to keep myself from completely exploding.

Anyway, yeah, some people just reach a point where there's nothing left to prove, and no longer feel the need to put themselves through the intensity to be competitive. I still enjoy a good hard ride, but I also know there are plenty of people who are faster than I am, and when they show up I have no problem letting them ride up the road.

I'm okay being "that guy".

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Keeping it going, year after year? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Last year's 105 vs this year's Rival

Started by y-o-y
Views: 3199 Posts: 10

2010-11-21 1:17 AM y-o-y

This year VS. Last year Pages: 1 2

Started by Plainsman AU
Views: 2528 Posts: 29

2010-02-19 10:24 AM GaryRM

The real test of endurance: Staying with it, year after year

Started by JohnP_NY
Views: 1260 Posts: 10

2009-11-19 12:25 PM rayd

Improvements from year-to-year..

Started by Bioteknik
Views: 984 Posts: 8

2009-10-17 2:51 PM Bioteknik

90 year old triathlete & 83 year old high jumper

Started by sushigirl
Views: 972 Posts: 1

2009-04-20 8:10 AM sushigirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : January 3, 2007
author : acbadger
Do you want to jump-start your New Year’s weight-loss resolution?? Then here is what it's time to do…TRAIN FOR A TRIATHLON!! Part I of a monthly series.

date : January 1, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
With the coming of the New Year, athletes commonly think about making nutrition resolutions. Good thing, given only 3 to 4% of Americans follow all of the established Dietary Guidelines.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
To help implement your resolutions (or those of your friends and family members), I recommend the following books, most of which are written by nutrition experts: registered dietitians (RD).

date : March 21, 2005
author : Ontherun
Until last year an Ironman was just a dream. Now it has become a goal. I needed to start, but where?
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them