United States
Lifetime Fitness
60F / 16C
Total Time = 11h 38m 20s
Overall Rank = 57/57
Age Group = duo 104
Age Group Rank = 12/12
Pre-race routine:

Stayed in Flagstaff. Didn't sleep well at all. "Woke up" at 4am to pack truck and meet others for drive to site. I had some water and part of a bar. Had a few drinks of coffee when we stopped for ice.
Event warmup:

My first lap wouldn't start until Todd came back from loop one. I set up our area along solo alley and then changed/prepped for my turn. I ate a little more and drank more water. Saw Jason go through and he said Todd had a flat but would be coming in fairly soon.
Bike
  • 4h 53m 23s
  • 53 miles
  • 10.84 mile/hr
Comments:

I started loop 2 of 4 when Todd came in after having to fix a flat. Elevation was still messing with me for the first half of the lap. I passed a few people and found Jason before the first climb. I rode with him for a few minutes, but I knew we had different strategies and had to leave him. I walked a little on the steep sections, knowing I had another loop later. I passed people when I was comfortable, but didn't push myself to speed by anyone. If I had known what was coming later, maybe I would have. Finished that loop in 2;23.
I felt really good passing the "flag" off to Todd and we fist bumped as he took off for lap 3 (his last). That was at 12:10. I was starving and my muscles had been mad on the last climb...needed fuel. So I had a banana, a choc chip cookie, Perform and a pb and pickle sandwich. Then I settled in with a friend who did a one-lap race to wait for Jason to come in for a refuel. We cheered for the hard-core 104 riders and....waited.
I figured Todd would be pushing it a bit harder on his last lap, so I figured I'd go to relay area a bit after 2. Then we heard the news that a rider had crashed and the race was stopped for over a half hour while EMTs stabilized him for a flight out. Then the rain started on the mountain. Riders were coming in just soaked and muddy. And I waited more. More riders finished and more relays exchanged. And I waited. The people beside me started chatting with me and offering me beer tickets. The Landis Cyclery guys offered me food and water. And I waited. Jason kept me company (he was done at 52mi). And I waited. For some stubborn reason I just couldn't leave the exchange area. I was worried about Todd, but knew he'd be doing everything he could to get back.
The normal last lap out is 4, but because of the delay, they pushed it to 4:35. I started to falter in my faith as the clock went past 4. Todd thought the cut-off was at 4, so he might not push the last bit if he thought I wouldn't be able to go out. Suddenly, Jason said "There he is!" and ran through solo alley to tell him time extended. He got to me, said "My chain broke at mile 11 and I just ran 15 miles to get here." (found out later chain/derailleur both) I jumped on, yelled to everyone who was cheering me out that my partner had just run his bike 15miles for us to have a chance, and started a completely lonely last 26. That was at 4:11pm.
I pushed myself and my bike hard. I passed the radio guys at the mile stations and yelled "I'm last! You're done! Thanks!" I chased steers off the trail and just flew down those empty trails. Honestly, It was absolutely amazing. I didn't care that I was last or alone, I pushed. I couldn't not give it everything after Todd had worked so hard for our team. Coming up to the first big climb, I saw someone ahead of me. NO WAY! I had to walk some of the hill, but got back on as soon as I had a chance. Rider gone. I got to the top and a straightaway, and there was another glimpse...across a meadow. I got to the next climb and nothing again. After that there was some nice downhill where I could get water and stinger waffle. I knew the next section was fast so I settled in to find the rider. A couple of little uphills, more down and then the sharp left to the rock garden decent. I saw the rider again. The sun was getting low to my right, I had my yellow lenses in for shadow help, I wasn't riding this steep, rocky section any harder than my first lap, AND somehow everything worked together to blind me. Slight turn west, sun below a branch, yellow lenses=no look at the trail. NOTHING just white. I tapped my brakes as my front wheel hit a rock (which I couldn't see of course), and I flew into the ground face-first. I felt teeth crack and heard the air leave my lungs. Then I just took a few deep breaths on the ground, wiggled what might be hurt, untangled a leg, looked for tooth pieces, and got back on when I saw my bike was okay. I made it down that segment about 3min slower than the first lap...I'm fine with that ;)
I couldn't push it like I had been, but I gave what I had, and I saw the rider again. I kept her (I saw lots of pink) in sight until the last 4.5mi climb. When I made the turn for that, I saw her walking up the hill. I kept pedaling along and when I reached her she said "Great job!" and I told her to keep going because we only had about 5miles left...we could do 5 miles. I pedaled as long as I could, and then had to push on a couple of steep sections. At one of the radio stations I told the man there was a rider behind me because I could hear him saying my number and that I was last out. I didn't want them to start driving behind me with her still out in the near dark. And 30sec later she flew by me on the last downhill. lol I rode those last two miles as hard as I thought my bike (tweaked bars) and body would let me. I was 10ft behind her when we got to Jason cheering us on (he later told me she started to cry when he yelled that we only had 45seconds til we could be done). I was 3ft behind her and ready to pass when I heard the announcer saying her name "Here she comes! Jessie Rice. Single speed solo woman. She's going to make it. She's going to finish with two minutes to go!" I couldn't do it. She had ridden 104 miles on her own for the entire day on a single speed, and I couldn't pass and possibly take something away from that. We stopped in the dark barn to get our finisher's medals. Rode down the chute and fist-bumped people on our way to our supporters. I showed Jason my face and he hugged me, then put me on the tailgate of our truck. Jessie turned from her group to come over and hug me. She said "Thank you. I thought I was alone. It meant so much to know someone else was out there with me." I said, "You were amazing.", hugged her back, and then went back to the truck. Jason kept checking on me and when he asked what I needed, I said "Ice...and beer." :) Last lap done in 2:30.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I was having a great day...until I wasn't. :D
Post race
Warm down:

I was swollen and bruised. A little shocky and cold, so I crawled into the truck with a jacket and blanket while the guys loaded up. Jason brought me a beer while I waited. We took a picture of the four of us before we left. Smiling hurt and it sure wasn't pretty, but couldn't pass up getting a pic with my partner and our hard-earned medals. I can't imagine a DFL feeling any better.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Face planting into the rocks

Event comments:

This is a really fun race. The scenery is gorgeous. The people range from hard-core 104 riders to race-a-lap-and-party riders. Four Peaks is a great brewery. RDs made a good calls with scrapping the le mans start after the downpours on Friday afternoon and adding the 35min to the clock after the race stoppage.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-08-25 12:00 AM
Biking
04:53:23 | 53 miles | 10.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/57
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loops of 26mi. I had laps 2 and 4 of relay.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-09-08 7:33 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Barn Burner

2014-09-08 7:58 PM
in reply to: #5048096

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Barn Burner

Wow, a fall and chipped teeth and you still called it a fun day.  We are sick individuals to enjoy this much pain.

Great job pushing through--and you have earned some great race karma to let the single speed lady have her moment.

2014-09-08 9:13 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Denver, CO

You are so amazing, Erin!  Love your smile in that picture of just you - you clearly had a blast.  What a cool story, too.  I'm betting that you don't forget this race for a long long time, and not just because of the dental work either.  Just reading your race report made me grin with pride for both you and your new friend Jessie.  Way to go!

2014-09-08 9:54 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
OMG that was so awesome! You are hardcore!! I want to ride with you sometime!!!
2014-09-08 11:27 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master

YOU. ARE. AWESOME.

2014-09-09 5:59 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Completely cool!!!! Both you and your RR. And how cool that after it was nearly all done, you still had the kindness and respect for others on the course. Congratulations on a great day.

2014-09-09 6:20 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando
That is all kinds of awesome!! You and your partner really, really, really earned those medals. Oh, and looking at that race profile made me sick
2014-09-09 9:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
What an awesome day!!!! I enjoyed being partners with you and look forward to the next one! We definitely have a redemption race coming to us! What a great show of sportsmanship on your part!!!!!!!! Amazing!!!!! If someone had told me we were going to DFL beforehand, I would not have believed that it would have been that rewarding!!!! It was such a let down to get to the turn off into the ranch just past 4 after all that but then to here Jason give me the good news was such a relief! It took a few seconds to register what he had said! Great job of pushing through all the adversity!!!!!!!!!! And thanks for being the best relay partner ....of all time !
2014-09-09 1:21 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

She's got style, she's got grace, she got smashed in the face!  No disrespect meant with my goofy rhyme.   What I really mean is you showed so much moxie and strength in your determination to do good for your team after your friend's incredible run with the bike.  You showed grace and good sportsmanship in how you handled the solo rider, both when you passed her, offering her encouragement, and when you allowed her to have her moment and not blow her doors in at the finish.  You are a true class act.  Hope your wounds heal quickly - you should be very proud of your effort, congrats!

2014-09-09 8:19 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Thank you so much, BT friends. Your sweet comments made me smile and, I'll admit, get a little teary. Many of you inspired me along that trail on Saturday with your own stories of determination. I know I am part of the rule rather than an exception around here :D
2014-09-12 11:15 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Not only are you a HARD CORE ROCK STAR, but you had the grace and the respect to honor Jessie for her accomplishment. You and Todd were a great team and this race will go down in infamy!!!!!!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Barn Burner Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Barn Burner

Started by todds
Views: 864 Posts: 4

2014-09-09 9:32 AM todds

Butte Burner 3.33 Challenge

Started by goran007
Views: 647 Posts: 1

2013-06-16 11:32 AM goran007