General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » In at the deep end (pardon the pun) Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-09 6:42 AM

Subject: In at the deep end (pardon the pun)
Hi,

Well, where to start! I did my first sprint tri last March and I swore I'd never do another one ever again. I was sent the wrong way on the bike which added extra distance. I was stupid and didn't do any brick training, so I ended up blowing up on the run! I was also directed to the finish line after 1 lap rather than being sent back out on the course. The feeling of crossing the finish line, only to be told to get back out there and do another lap was heartbreaking. I hung up my tri medal at the end of the day, happy that I'd given it a go, but confident that Triathlons weren't for me.

I'd managed to keep that promise to myself up until 3 weeks ago when I signed up for my first 70.3 IronMan in 2015! I have a buddy who has done a few 70.3 and she had just completed her first full 140.6. I got caught up in all the excitment and thought "To hell with it! You need a challenge!"

I took up cycling 2 years a go and I love it. I'm comfortable doing a 100 mile ride and I'm a bit sadistic when it comes to hill climbs. I recently completed the London 100 (86) which I completed in 5hr 6 mins. Not bad for a fat lass on a second hand bike.

Running used to be my passion until cycling came in to the picture. I wasn't an amazing runner. I could run 10k in just over 50 mins and I've done one 1/2 marathon which I completed in 2 hours. Again, not bad for a fat lass!

Swimming is something that was always done in a pool and it never really caught the swimming bug. 3 weeks ago my IronMan buddy dragged me to Capernwray for my first OW swim. After two laps of coughing and spluttering and holding on to each buoy for dear life, I soon got in to the swing of things and now I'm hooked! I'll be OW swimming every Wednesday until the weather gets too bad. I've also just started swim coaching on Sunday, so I'm hoping that will make me a stronger swimmer.

Like I said, I'm not your typical slender looking cyclist/runner/swimmer. When I rock up at a sportive or running event, it looks like I'm just there for the food stops.

I'm doing the IronMan next year with a buddy who is just recovering from Stomach cancer, so we're going to be there to support each other and spur each other on. I'm hoping these boards will give me inspiration and motivation to get out of bed each morning and get training!

Thanks for listening to me waffling and I apologise in advance for all the silly questions I'll be bombarding you all with

r00

2014-09-13 10:26 AM
in reply to: Eskir00

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: In at the deep end (pardon the pun)

Hi, welcome to BT and back to triathlon! What a journey it's already been for you, good luck to you and your friend as you train for the 70.3!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » In at the deep end (pardon the pun) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Round Rock Doer (as oppose to tri, ok bad pun) TriRock Austin in September

Started by Traffic77
Views: 596 Posts: 3

2012-06-26 11:03 AM skysos

In at the Deep End

Started by sbcoombs
Views: 571 Posts: 2

2012-01-02 4:09 PM TriAya

I've been a Lurker - beg pardon!!

Started by Davidolson
Views: 1206 Posts: 8

2011-05-16 11:37 AM mariarose

jumping in the deep end...

Started by alphatke04
Views: 1012 Posts: 4

2011-03-29 7:17 AM shellback1998

Going to Tri (pun intended)

Started by Riffin
Views: 924 Posts: 7

2004-07-09 12:00 AM Motivated
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Deep calf pain can be a tricky problem to deal with, and it’s appropriate that you are paying attention to this pain before it becomes a more debilitating injury.

date : June 25, 2010
author : Coach AJ
I have a four week gap between the end of my sprint program and the beginning of my Olympic plan. Is it ok to just keep adding the volume needed to begin the Olympic plan?
date : May 25, 2009
author : FitWerx
I read somewhere about "bar ends" to put on your handle bars, do you recommend them? Is this similar to adding clip on aero bars?

date : January 5, 2009
I have a pain deep in my calf about five inches below the knee. A sports doctor did not feel anything wrong in the muscle, and there was no bruising. The tender spot can still be felt on massage.
date : October 20, 2008
author : AndriaLL
comments : 1
It was literally seconds after I started swimming that I felt the tightness in my chest. I couldn’t get a deep breath in due to the tightness of my wetsuit. I was being strangled by my wetsuit...

date : January 14, 2008
At the age of 44, I am experiencing extreme pain in my hip. I have been trying simple stretching and have found no relief.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.