General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Speedplay or Shimano/Keo/etc pedals? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-09 12:35 PM

Subject: Speedplay or Shimano/Keo/etc pedals?
Hi there!

I did a search for this topic and I didn't see anything similar to my question so I'm posting here! I'm ready to move into the clipless world but I'm torn between Speedplay pedals and the more "standard" road pedals. I'm upgrading my road bike which I use to compete and also use as a commuter bike. I plan on buying a new bike next year for training and triathlons exclusively but, in the meantime, I will continue to use this bike. So my questions:

- Speedplays (the lower end ones )seems to be a bit more expensive. Around $100 where I can get Shimanos or similar for as low as $50. What does the extra money buy? Clearly weight but also the convenience of being able to click in and out quickly?

- What are the draw backs to Speedplays?

- What's better for general training and what's better for a tri?

I probably have more questions as I ponder the choice but please let me know if you have answers or opinions!

2014-09-09 2:36 PM
in reply to: peeface

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Speedplay or Shimano/Keo/etc pedals?

I'll give you my experience, though to be fair I haven't used the Shimano "road" SPDs, just the 2-bolt mountain variety.

I started out my competitive bike life in triathlon, using the (first and second generation) Look pedals, which are much like the Shimano road SPD. No float, but I didn't need it. Did fine for several years on those.

Then I got a mountain bike, and my first set of SPDs. I wanted to be have a universal pedal type, so I switched the road bike over to the touring SPDs (used Nike's slipper-like touring shoe). At that point, though, I wasn't in triathlon -- I was bike racing A LOT.

Then I moved to Speedplays because of a bike team sponsorship. I liked them, and went through several sets. It took a very short time to get used to the free float, but I found that the narrow spacing of the bearings in the pedal body made them susceptible to wear -- they'd start rocking side-to-side after a while.

I'm back on the 2-bolt SPDs now, having switched back last year. I still have one bike with Speedplays (my tri bike), and one pair of shoes with the Speedplay cleats to use on that one. Everything else is double-sided SPD. I'm not bike racing any more, and only do a couple tri's a year, so I'm fine with it. I don't miss the float of the Speedplays, but my knees and ankles are pretty healthy and track straight -- don't really need it.

If you need the float, the non-centering float of the Speedplays can't be beat. If not, the economy of the SPDs may be the ticket, especially if you're equipping multiple bikes.

2014-09-09 3:45 PM

User image

Pro

there are some real pro's to the speedplay designs.  double sided, float, pretty colors.

that said- they're not always the best choice for Tri- depending on if you leave your shoes clipped in on race day, or run in them.

If you run in your cycling shoes.  1.  the speedplay cleats are even more annoying to run in than Look/Shimano cleats. and 2. the speedplays are more susceptible to getting dirt and foreign material in the cleat that prevents them from engaging.

If your training is on roads where, when you put your foot down, you're putting it down on relatively clean asphalt, then the Speedplays are nice.  They do require a bit more maintenance and care.  The Keo's are more bullet proof.

2014-09-09 4:15 PM
in reply to: morey000

Thanks a ton for the replies, guys. I really appreciate it. I will likely pick up Keos/Shimanos for the time being and, if I need to, upgrade to speedplays later on. Thanks again!
2014-09-10 8:57 AM

I don't think there are really any drawbacks to Speedplay pedals other than the cost. They do use a 4 bolt pattern instead of the traditional 3 bolt for shoes but they include a free adapter. Oh they do need more maintenance than most other pedals

Advantages: I like the double sided entry and exceptional float
2014-09-12 2:47 PM
in reply to: Jarredscycling

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Originally posted by Jarredscycling

I don't think there are really any drawbacks to Speedplay pedals other than the cost. They do use a 4 bolt pattern instead of the traditional 3 bolt for shoes but they include a free adapter. Oh they do need more maintenance than most other pedals

Advantages: I like the double sided entry and exceptional float

The drawbacks for me on the Speedplays was that it has a smaller surface area on the pedal and was creating hotspots on the bottoms of my feet. Was recommended to go with the Shimano/Look pedals to have a bigger surface area and the hotspot issue went away. The 2nd drawback was that I occasionally ride the bike a few miles to the store and will ride with regular shoes. Much easier to do on the bigger pedals.

Been using Shimano one-sided pedals for so long now I don't even have to look down to clip in. It is all about what you get used to and works for you.

2014-09-12 6:27 PM
in reply to: #5048346

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
The contact area for Speedplay is as large or larger than the other ones... Don't get fooled by the small lollipop, the pedals surface is actually mounted in the cleat
2014-09-12 10:31 PM
in reply to: chichitao

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by chichitao
Originally posted by Jarredscycling I don't think there are really any drawbacks to Speedplay pedals other than the cost. They do use a 4 bolt pattern instead of the traditional 3 bolt for shoes but they include a free adapter. Oh they do need more maintenance than most other pedals Advantages: I like the double sided entry and exceptional float
The drawbacks for me on the Speedplays was that it has a smaller surface area on the pedal and was creating hotspots on the bottoms of my feet. Was recommended to go with the Shimano/Look pedals to have a bigger surface area and the hotspot issue went away. The 2nd drawback was that I occasionally ride the bike a few miles to the store and will ride with regular shoes. Much easier to do on the bigger pedals. Been using Shimano one-sided pedals for so long now I don't even have to look down to clip in. It is all about what you get used to and works for you.

As Jan said, the contact area for speed play is actually in the cleat. The pedal attaches to the cleat and in the cleat is where the surface area is that makes contact with your shoe & foot. This is much bigger than the pedal. I haven't found my pedals to really need much of any maintenance in 4 years now.

I guess using Shimano road pedals with regular shoes being ok is a more personal opinion. To me they were still not easy to use that way. I never had to look when using the road bike shoes as intended, but 2-sided entry has still be easier. Shimano does have a pedal with sps on one side (the mountain bike type), and a more traditional flat pedal on the other. Speedplay does have platforms that can attach over their pedals so regular shoes can be worn. I have no experience with them, however. There are cleat covers available as well for walking off the bike, and more designs are coming out that stay on the cleats all the time. Seems interesting.

2014-09-13 9:40 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
I used Shimano pedals for a long time, and upgraded to Speedplays because I heard how great they were. I hated them.

* You can't walk or run in them, so bad for tri's unless you keep your bike shoes clipped in during transitions (I could never get that skill down)
* They were great clipping in and out UNTIL they got dirty, which happened alot. Then you had to take them apart, clean them, oil them, and put them back together. What a frikkin pain. I never had to do that with my Shimano Teflon cleats. Ever.
* I also felt they had less forceful impact for climbing due to the lower surface area.

I ended up going back to my old cleats.
2014-09-13 9:45 AM

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by chichitao
Originally posted by Jarredscycling I don't think there are really any drawbacks to Speedplay pedals other than the cost. They do use a 4 bolt pattern instead of the traditional 3 bolt for shoes but they include a free adapter. Oh they do need more maintenance than most other pedals Advantages: I like the double sided entry and exceptional float
The drawbacks for me on the Speedplays was that it has a smaller surface area on the pedal and was creating hotspots on the bottoms of my feet. Was recommended to go with the Shimano/Look pedals to have a bigger surface area and the hotspot issue went away. The 2nd drawback was that I occasionally ride the bike a few miles to the store and will ride with regular shoes. Much easier to do on the bigger pedals. Been using Shimano one-sided pedals for so long now I don't even have to look down to clip in. It is all about what you get used to and works for you.

As Jan said, the contact area for speed play is actually in the cleat. The pedal attaches to the cleat and in the cleat is where the surface area is that makes contact with your shoe & foot. This is much bigger than the pedal. I haven't found my pedals to really need much of any maintenance in 4 years now.

I guess using Shimano road pedals with regular shoes being ok is a more personal opinion. To me they were still not easy to use that way. I never had to look when using the road bike shoes as intended, but 2-sided entry has still be easier. Shimano does have a pedal with sps on one side (the mountain bike type), and a more traditional flat pedal on the other. Speedplay does have platforms that can attach over their pedals so regular shoes can be worn. I have no experience with them, however. There are cleat covers available as well for walking off the bike, and more designs are coming out that stay on the cleats all the time. Seems interesting.

I previously used Shimano SPD before switching to Speedplay. I don't think it was hard getting into the one sided pedals and it doesn't require looking but I do think the double sided entry is easier. As far as contact area I've never had an issue with either SPD or Speedplay but maybe that is a more personal thing. But the posts about the surface area of the Speedplay cleat being the contact area definitely make sense to me. Plus I love the extra float!
2014-10-04 2:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
Have had 105 pedals for a few years now and really like them. Bought the wife some speedplays and I tried them out. For me it was a lot harder to get in and out then the shimano, but that may just be me. Both have pluses and minuses.

2014-11-20 3:33 PM
in reply to: morey000

How can anyone run in cleats? I thought everyone changed shoes in transition?
2014-11-21 8:22 PM
in reply to: rpturbo

Master
Northern IL

You run between your transition spot and the bike mount/dismount line. For the actual "run" segment of the race, yes, switch to actual run shoes in T2.

2014-11-22 10:23 AM

User image

Expert
Long time Speedplay user. Never had any issues in mucky transitions and cleats getting fouled.

Couple of seasons ago I started using the covers linked below. My cleats look nearly new and they are great for walking around in.

http://www.keeponkovers.com/Product.html
2014-11-22 6:14 PM
in reply to: magic

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by magic

Long time Speedplay user. Never had any issues in mucky transitions and cleats getting fouled.

Couple of seasons ago I started using the covers linked below. My cleats look nearly new and they are great for walking around in.

Thank you, I just moved up to speedplay and love everything BUT taking any steps in them. I can feel the damage it causes and I walk like I'm on an ice rink
2014-11-23 9:24 AM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Expert
Originally posted by TJHammer

Originally posted by magic

Thank you, I just moved up to speedplay and love everything BUT taking any steps in them. I can feel the damage it causes and I walk like I'm on an ice rink

Not a problem. I've even handed some of those out to team mates as swag during races. I found them when looking for a means to keep my wife from walking everywhere in her cleats trashing them.

2014-11-27 12:01 AM
in reply to: #5049619

I've had both and I absolutely love speedplays. The float is great... If you ride in areas where you are stopping from time to time (city roads, more intersections, etc.) the ease of entry is a major plus. You can find cheap shimano/look copies in the $50 range but you forget about another fifty bucks if you are using what you want.
2014-12-05 8:08 PM

User image

Richland, Washington
1000% speed play. I have tried just about every pedal out there. Nothing beats a speed play. Yes, they get dirty if you are careless. Treat them right and they will Last a long, long time. I'm going on 3 years on 1 set. No complaints.

Originally posted by peeface

Hi there!

I did a search for this topic and I didn't see anything similar to my question so I'm posting here! I'm ready to move into the clipless world but I'm torn between Speedplay pedals and the more "standard" road pedals. I'm upgrading my road bike which I use to compete and also use as a commuter bike. I plan on buying a new bike next year for training and triathlons exclusively but, in the meantime, I will continue to use this bike. So my questions:

- Speedplays (the lower end ones )seems to be a bit more expensive. Around $100 where I can get Shimanos or similar for as low as $50. What does the extra money buy? Clearly weight but also the convenience of being able to click in and out quickly?

- What are the draw backs to Speedplays?

- What's better for general training and what's better for a tri?

I probably have more questions as I ponder the choice but please let me know if you have answers or opinions!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Speedplay or Shimano/Keo/etc pedals? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Do Shimano SL Pedals = LOOK Pedals?

Started by JonathanRohr
Views: 11080 Posts: 6

2010-12-24 9:19 AM mjengstrom

Look vs Look Keo Pedals

Started by Artemis
Views: 878 Posts: 8

2008-06-13 8:48 PM jpeek29208

Grey vs Red cleats for Look Keo Pedals?

Started by wurkit_gurl
Views: 4145 Posts: 3

2008-05-23 5:40 PM ieandro

Keo Elle Pedals

Started by DieuEtMonDroit
Views: 1163 Posts: 7

2008-05-15 8:46 AM pitt83

Look Keo Sprints vs. Shimano 105 pedals

Started by ellbell1993
Views: 1557 Posts: 6

2007-10-19 8:36 AM brucemorgan
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?

date : December 13, 2010
comments : 8
Choosing a groupset for your next bike? This article offers a detailed comparison of the differences between the Shimano 105 and Ultegra groupsets.
date : October 14, 2010
comments : 0
A review of the Shimano 105 vesus SRAM Rival Time Trial component group differences.

date : February 17, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 13
I have pedals with the cage and when I ride 2+ hours my legs feel much more tired then if I took out my husband's bike with clipless pedals. Do clipless pedals truly make the difference?
date : November 29, 2004
author : Akuma
comments : 3
A bike is NOT a piece of metal with a couple of wheels at either end and a steering thing to stop you running over old ladies. No! ... a bike is a space-age “weapon of mass confusion.”