General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can't decide on my first tri bike Velovie vs QR Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-09 4:05 PM

Subject: Can't decide on my first tri bike Velovie vs QR
Hello all,

I'm about to take the leap. Need to buy my own tri bike and start riding it. I've been training on a Ridley road bike with Shimano Ultegra components all summer and I can't decide on which option to go with.

Option 1 - 2013 Velovie Veloce 100 w SRAM APEX for $1300
http://www.velovie.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=veloce-100-gr...
(This link is to their 2014 model, but very little difference from 2013)

Option 2 - 2014 Quintana Roo Kilo w/ SRAM Rival for $1500
http://quintanarootri.com/_bike.asp?content=Kilo-2014

I love the firm ride of the aluminum Ridley frame and quick power transfer of the DuraAce crank set. I'm wondering which of the above would be most like what I'm riding. I've test ridden both bikes, but only down the street and back. This will be my first tri bike and I'm excited to explore the aero bar and position and I don't want to have to upgrade (components or bike) so quickly.

Any insight, reviews, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks All

2014-09-10 8:33 AM
in reply to: humblehopi

, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Can't decide on my first tri bike Velovie vs QR
Originally posted by humblehopi

Hello all,

I'm about to take the leap. Need to buy my own tri bike and start riding it. I've been training on a Ridley road bike with Shimano Ultegra components all summer and I can't decide on which option to go with.

Option 1 - 2013 Velovie Veloce 100 w SRAM APEX for $1300
http://www.velovie.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=veloce-100-gr...
(This link is to their 2014 model, but very little difference from 2013)

Option 2 - 2014 Quintana Roo Kilo w/ SRAM Rival for $1500
http://quintanarootri.com/_bike.asp?content=Kilo-2014

I love the firm ride of the aluminum Ridley frame and quick power transfer of the DuraAce crank set. I'm wondering which of the above would be most like what I'm riding. I've test ridden both bikes, but only down the street and back. This will be my first tri bike and I'm excited to explore the aero bar and position and I don't want to have to upgrade (components or bike) so quickly.

Any insight, reviews, or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks All

Tough pick. Just looking at them both, nothing stands out for me as far as one over the other. Are these used bikes you're looking at? I'm asking because I thought Velovie only sold direct (maybe you live where they are). Since you've looked at, and ridden both. Either one stand out as being in more perfect condition than the other?
2014-09-10 12:14 PM
in reply to: MikeD1

Originally posted by MikeD1

Tough pick. Just looking at them both, nothing stands out for me as far as one over the other. Are these used bikes you're looking at? I'm asking because I thought Velovie only sold direct (maybe you live where they are). Since you've looked at, and ridden both. Either one stand out as being in more perfect condition than the other?

The Velovie is used and yes, I'm in their area. The QR just feels nicer initially, but I'm wondering if the Velovie would feel just as nice, or nicer after a full fit.

QR more tried and true, I guess. What concerns me are the comments I've heard about Velovie being more low end to be as affordable as they are and also I see more Velovie on Craigslist than QR for sale.

I'm such a penny pincher. In the world of tri and cycling, would I regret not paying an extra $200 for a new setup?
2014-09-10 4:00 PM
in reply to: humblehopi

, Wisconsin
1st, I think most of those comments about Velovie being low end are probably off the mark. I'm pretty sure the predominant factor in their affordability is the sales model being direct selling.

Anyway, reading your post, it sounds like you're leaning toward the QR. Without personally seeing and riding both bikes there is no way for me, or anyone to tell you which is "best". And, even if I preferred one, you might prefer the other. I DO know that whenever I've "settled" for my second choice to save a few dollars I have regretted it. Whenever I get the one I "want", I am a happy camper without remorse.

This all of course assumes that whichever on you choose is your correct size and can be tweaked for your perfect fit. Best of luck and enjoy whatever you decide!
2014-09-10 4:29 PM
in reply to: #5048444

User image

Champion
MA
Get a fit done first and go with the bike that fits you best.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Can't decide on my first tri bike Velovie vs QR Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I can't decide on bikes, advice please. Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by ErikTaylor
Views: 4926 Posts: 92

2014-03-08 5:50 PM djmikula

First tri bike, help me decide

Started by Peter B
Views: 1772 Posts: 19

2010-08-22 7:21 PM Curtisb

Roadie vs Tri Bike in my first tri...

Started by roadrunner1659
Views: 777 Posts: 3

2008-07-02 11:12 PM Cashmason

Giant vs Felt vs QR vs Cervelo Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Newbie5317
Views: 7166 Posts: 65

2008-02-21 12:04 PM karhooligan

Hybrid vs Road bikes vs tri bike and the trainer

Started by chirunner134
Views: 1234 Posts: 3

2006-11-30 9:23 AM chirunner134
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 27, 2012
author : myred86
comments : 4
So much of what I thought a triathlon simply wasn't correct. How an okay Masters swimmer makes it through his first triathlon - slowly!

date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?
date : December 15, 2008
author : bigfella3
comments : 12
And then I saw it. I got to "The Hill." It looked a bit innocent really, in reflection - just a little hill, with the road bending around to the left...

date : October 8, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?
date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
comments : 0
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.