General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training question... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-09 7:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Training question...
As a slightly older triathelete (53) when I trained for the 1/2 irons I did and for the one and only Marathon I've run (A year ago)
I never felt like I was recovering enough.
IE everything hurt and I felt tired all the time , even after me rest weeks and even during my taper I felt wiped out.
As a personal goal I'd like to train for and do a Full Iron.

If you were going to take a training plan such as the "Be Iron fit plan", or another beginning iron man plan and make it longer,
and make it longer, IE

Take the 7 day plan and make it a 10 day plan with two additional rest days.... how much rest can you add
before the plan would no longer work....

I'm fortunate that I don't have to keep a traditional schedule, IE if the long ride lands on a Wedensday its fine.

2014-09-10 7:40 AM
in reply to: pbreed

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Training question...
Originally posted by pbreed

As a slightly older triathelete (53) when I trained for the 1/2 irons I did and for the one and only Marathon I've run (A year ago)
I never felt like I was recovering enough.
IE everything hurt and I felt tired all the time , even after me rest weeks and even during my taper I felt wiped out.
As a personal goal I'd like to train for and do a Full Iron.

If you were going to take a training plan such as the "Be Iron fit plan", or another beginning iron man plan and make it longer,
and make it longer, IE

Take the 7 day plan and make it a 10 day plan with two additional rest days.... how much rest can you add
before the plan would no longer work....

I'm fortunate that I don't have to keep a traditional schedule, IE if the long ride lands on a Wedensday its fine.

However much rest allows for your body to make adoptions to the stresses you put on the body in training without compromising the length of the program where you cannot get a good build in.

At your age recovery becomes far more important as you recover slower. I would suggest 48-72 hours of rest between your key sessions, or at lest 2 nights of sleep. Adding in more rest days is good but do have a rest day the day before your key sessions, usually people come out a bit flat on the day after rest days.

I know a lot of people advocate the 3 on 1 off method or use a 7-day week for training. Frankly, I don't think that is the best method. At your age I would say to builds of 10-17 days on and 3-5 days off. That is enough time to get in a good chunk of training but not overreach too far and allow for ample recovery time. Within those 10-17 days I would take 1-2 days off, or have very easy light sessions in between your key sessions. Also something I would recommend is a good strength program for the off days. A good program specific to help running, not just benching and squatting. But a program aimed to build strength in the posterior chain, open your hip flexors, and core strength. Doing a strength program will allow you to get more out of your training and train better when you are.
2014-09-11 8:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Newcastle, England

Hi

I'm not to far behind in the age front, but I've got a few IM's under my belt now.

The way I play it is: during my training for IM -

• I keep an eye on my RESTING and DELTA heart rate to ensure I'm recovering sufficiently 
  • I often schedule 2 rest days, sometimes on a big week, or on my recovery week
  • I focus on my 4 or 5 key sessions (1S, 2B, 2R) then don't worry if I have to drop other sessions
  • Make sure I eat right to aid recovery
  • regularly see a sports physio to help with recovery
  • in some phases I switch to a 3 week cycle rather than a 4 ... (2 build 1 recovery)
  • Try not to let my fitness slip to far in the off season ... less of a hill to climb

I have considered the 10-day rather than the 7 day cycle ... but I've never implemented it

Good luck it the trainng

2014-09-11 10:48 AM
in reply to: #5048493

User image

Champion
MA
I had a coach do similar to what you suggest with a10 day cycle. It made me feel even more tired. My body like consistent in training with gradual build in training stress. I actually do best to have similar training week to week with gradual build in volumne or intensity depending what part of b my build i am in. I was surprised how constistent training was better for me and less fatigue than with many more rest days. I think the 10 day cycle was more than my body could handle at that time. I was 48 to 50 when consistent training with slow build worked well for me.
2014-09-11 11:24 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I agree with Kathy.  I think if you were always tired & hurting, the problem isn't with your recovery.  It's with your training load.  Start small and build gradually.  Your age, by itself, should not be a big deterrent to training in that fashion.  You should start training today in such a way that by the time you reach the start of whatever training plan you are using specific to the IM, that the first few weeks will not be overly chalenging.  If they are, it doesn't matter how many rest days you try to put into it.

2014-09-11 1:03 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by JohnnyKay

I agree with Kathy.  I think if you were always tired & hurting, the problem isn't with your recovery.  It's with your training load.  Start small and build gradually.  Your age, by itself, should not be a big deterrent to training in that fashion.  You should start training today in such a way that by the time you reach the start of whatever training plan you are using specific to the IM, that the first few weeks will not be overly chalenging.  If they are, it doesn't matter how many rest days you try to put into it.

Train with sustainability built into the program.

2014-09-11 2:00 PM
in reply to: WildWill

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Agree with the above. I prefer to have "big days" separated by rest (rest for me = swimimng and weights, maybe a 4 mile run or something), rather than pushing a plan that takes me to the limit every day. For instance a strong 40 mile bike, 7 mile run one day, followed by a 2000 m swim, 2 mile treadmill and then weight room the next. The swim and weights seem to take off the strain of the "long" sessions. Plus I use an electro stimulator and compression boots if necessary.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training question... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First 1/2 training question

Started by swishyskirt
Views: 1034 Posts: 14

2007-09-05 1:25 PM saltydog7mile

First IM - training question

Started by bigKarl
Views: 1515 Posts: 10

2007-06-28 7:26 PM leopard8996

New to Ironman training question

Started by Matt85
Views: 892 Posts: 2

2007-02-14 12:51 PM jeanneroth

IM training question

Started by tmwelshy
Views: 1302 Posts: 12

2006-11-22 1:01 PM Mark In Pleasanton

Training Questions

Started by travisdotn
Views: 1179 Posts: 9

2006-06-09 10:33 PM TH3_FRB
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 5, 2010
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 4
The grand pull to Kona is both a product of our sport's mythology, marketing, and the intangible desires that each create.

date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?
date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.