General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What do you all do during off season? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-09-11 3:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: What do you all do during off season?

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Lupy
Originally posted by Left Brain
Originally posted by MikeD1
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by MikeD1 Question for LB and anyone else who wants to chime in: We'll be heading to FL in mid-Nov to get away from our 2nd " Avoid Wisconsin" winter. I may not have much access to pool down there, other than our 13yrd oblong Condo pool (unheated). I do now own a full wetsuit. I was thinking of try to OWS maybe 3 times a week or so working on endurance and form, maybe some sort of beeper to help me do intervals? Also could do 3 times a week or so in the pool using an ankle strap to the ladder to swim in place. Any suggestions how I can maximize gains with these givens? Best time for 100 yards is around 1:40. Any input is appreciated!

How literal is that "Avoid Wisconsin Winter"? Is this a few weeks or several months?

Probably 5-6 months. Last year we came back in mid-May.
Dude.....find a pool!!
Where in FL?

Every city in Florida I just googled had a YMCA.......and I'm sure there are master programs down there since it's a big USA swimming state.  High schools and community colleges don't have pools there?  There are no fitness centers with pools?  It's not the moon, it's Florida.

The OP might want to check the 'Florida' forum here on BT and ask about the specific area where they're going to be staying.

I'm in Sarasota, which coincidently is the headquarters for USA Masters Swimming.  There are two outdoor 50M pools within five miles of my house that both host masters groups.  One's run by the YMCA and the other is run by the county.  I swim at the county pool and pay a $2 daily senior (55+) rate.  The 'drop in' fee for masters is $7/day.

Within 15 miles there's another municipal 50M pool and probably a dozen 25 yd pools, including an indoor pool at one of the YMCA's.  There are a lot of semi-private country clubs/golf/tennis resorts with 25yd pools that charge either monthly or daily fees.  Even some of the private clubs will do month-to-month swimming memberships for temporary residents, i.e., snowbirds.

HTH,

Mark

Edited by RedCorvette 2014-09-11 3:06 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What do you all do during off season? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

To off season or not to off season???

Started by molly@rosenblumlawlv
Views: 2064 Posts: 14

2011-08-29 11:26 AM PinkPrincess

Done and done

Started by skinnyterror
Views: 2099 Posts: 13

2013-07-11 4:55 PM TTom

Golf During The Season and Off Season

Started by TRI G33K
Views: 1381 Posts: 14

2009-11-18 3:54 PM Laffenguy

Anyone doing/done the Santa Rosa Island Tri or Destin Crab Trap Tri

Started by pilotzs
Views: 1653 Posts: 5

2013-05-28 5:00 PM tacetman

Off Season Training - Over doing it?

Started by Shortknee1
Views: 934 Posts: 4

2008-08-15 1:08 AM Gerrard
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 18, 2013
author : eric_kenney
comments : 0
Looking at your past training to figure out the future season.

date : December 22, 2011
author : Mikael67
End of season thoughts and tips
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : February 7, 2008
author : AMSSM
The off season should be just that – a time to rest your body, to rehabilitate injury, and to plan ahead on how to improve performance and prevent injury in the season to come.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.