General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for IM and marathon concurrently Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-10 9:17 AM

User image

Subject: Training for IM and marathon concurrently
So, I just (like 12 minutes ago) signed up for Boston 2015, yeah!!! Well, sort of yeah, I am planning on signing up for IMCDA (I had a great first go in 2013, this year was totally awful for me so I feel I have to go back and vanquish the course once and for all, before I can move on to another course) To that end I am wondering how others have handled training for two different races on a similar schedule. Typically I give myself 16 weeks to train for a marathon and a full 6 months for an IM, so with Boston being in April and CDA in June that means my training plans would start at roughly the same time. I thought I would ask far enough in advance to plan accordingly. Thanks in advance guys!

Helen

2014-09-10 9:28 AM
in reply to: mtrunner6

User image

Subject: RE: Training for IM and marathon concurrently
Watching this thread as well. I am BQing in Fargo on May 9th, 2015, then I have IM Couer d'Alene on June 28th. So training will be concurrent for each.
2014-09-10 10:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Newcastle, England

I've done this a couple of time running London Mara then doing a IM

My honest thoughts (in my case) are you have to decide on your priorities - if you race the mara to you full it will take quite a bit out of you and impact on your IM trainng.

Plus Mara training typically Involves longer running the IM training ... again having an impact on IM Trainng

I now aim to do my Mara's in the off season -- or if I do run a Mara during my training -- i just take it easy and dont worry about my time.

2014-09-10 11:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

You have to prioritize one race over the other.  You can't optimally train for one without a huge expense to the other.

My $.02...

You could perform better at Boston while IM training than you could perform at IMCdA while marathon training.  Bike fitness does translate to run fitness to a large degree.  Run fitness has very little (if any) translation to bike fitness.  So if you trained to give a 100% effort at Boston then IMCdA is going to suffer.  Your bike fitness is going to stink and that's the most important component to having a good IM day.  If you trained for IMCdA, and did Boston as sort of a victory parade and nowhere near 100% effort, it will have some impact on your IM training from a recovery standpoint but you'd be more or less okay.

And doing some hybrid IM+Marathon plan is just going to put you in the hurt locker.

2014-09-12 7:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Dublin, Ohio
Hi Helen!

I ran Boston this year then did IMLOU 3 weeks ago. You definitely need to prioritize. Boston is a really difficult marathon course. It trashes your quads due to the net downhill. It took me a couple of weeks to recover which is long for me. The cross training will help a lot. I concentrated on the long run and hill training during my runs. After Boston, make sure you do a lot of swimming with overkicking and faster spinning to flush the lactic acid from your legs.

Hope this helps! You can make it work!

Edited by wsummerhill 2014-09-12 7:09 AM
2014-09-12 12:11 PM
in reply to: wsummerhill

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I guess I would echo a lot of what has been said.  Whether I'm training for an IM or an HIM it is tough to get the mileage in weekly needed for a focused marathon.  While I have found a fitness benefit from bike/swim, I don't think there is any substitute for leg strength and speed for running.  I've come off of bike focus periods and my run has really suffered.

The amount of effort needed for IM training on the bike was probably the biggest detractor from my running as I would end up with tired legs leading to poor running efforts.  Swimming didn't seem to bother my running as much though and I think the upper body strength I developed did help especially powering up hills.  When I fatigued I noticed my upper body providing more drive.

I wish I was in your shoes and had such great races to look forward to.

2014-09-23 1:40 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
You definitely need to prioritize. Last year I did Boston and then IM Whistler the end of July. I used the same schedule I would for IM training except I increased the running mileage until I hit a long run of 20 miles 2 weeks before Boston. I then went on a run taper schedule for the next 2 weeks before the race (but kept my biking and swimming the same). After the race I took a week of very little activity and then hopped back into my normal IM training schedule. This worked well for me.

Two caveats. I decided early on that Boston was not going to be an A race so I kept my race pace at training pace. This was hard to do since you feel like you're in great shape and you get all the race day adrenaline going. Second, I come from a running background, so was able to take the marathon a little bit for granted (ie I've done several marathons so was confident in the distance and my nutrition).

Good luck. Boston is truly an incredible experience. If you slow down you'll not only save yourself for CdA but you'll be able to enjoy the race atmosphere that much more!
2014-09-23 3:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Double post

Edited by Patrick E 2014-09-23 3:19 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for IM and marathon concurrently Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Marathon before I tackle this IM training??

Started by midwesttrimom
Views: 2151 Posts: 14

2013-12-27 6:14 AM Paulford8

Training for Boston Marathon and a 70.3 concurrently

Started by whatwasIthinking
Views: 815 Posts: 4

2009-02-08 5:22 PM Daremo

IM marathon training pace

Started by moabrunner
Views: 1009 Posts: 2

2008-10-13 10:30 PM splerph

Marathons during IM training?

Started by GulfCoastSwimmer
Views: 1375 Posts: 11

2007-06-09 6:13 AM qtownmom

1/2 IM as training 4 weeks before IM

Started by prof40
Views: 1382 Posts: 4

2014-02-26 3:44 PM jonnyo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?

date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?
date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.

date : September 14, 2004
author : tri_again
How to juggle life's demands with triathlon training needs.