General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Karma Strikes the Aggressive Driver Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-10 11:31 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: Karma Strikes the Aggressive Driver
So I posted what happened to me this morning in another string that was quasi-related, but felt it deserved its own post due to the karmatic hilarity. So here goes...

I had an interesting run in this morning with a pickup truck driver. I was riding on a divided road, two lanes in each direction with a median. I hit the end of my loop and went to turn around. I went into the median and stopped as there were oncoming cars. There was also a big pickup truck at a stop sign across from me making a right turn the same direction I was going. So technically, when the road cleared, I had the right of way since I was on the roadway and he was at a traffic control device (FL Statute 316.2065 gives bicycles in the roadway all the rights and privileges of motor vehicles and FL Statue 316.123 states that vehicles at traffic control devices yield to those in the intersection). Now, as a poster on the other thread (siouxcityhawk) said, I don't want "but I had the right of way" written on my tomb stone so when traffic cleared I started to coast and got my pedal clipped while I waited to see what he was going to do. Well, he saw me coasting and thought I was going to go in front of him (which was my legal right mind you, however I'm not crazy enough to take it by force) and he was not going to have that . There was a huge ROOOOOAAAR as he floored his over sized pickup truck onto the road...to hell if he was going to let some bicycle get in front of him. Well...that's where karma jumped in, you see, the road was wet and anyone that has ever driven rear wheel drive knows, if you floor your vehicle while turning onto a slick surface...well....you should work at Dunkin', cause you're about to make doughnuts. And he did. His truck spun around twice before flying into the median. He somehow avoided the trees and oncoming traffic before coming to a stop in the grass. Realize, that once I saw him go for it, I stopped and I'm just standing there in the median the whole time watching this train wreck. So I clip my pedals back in, cross the road and start to get up to where he stopped. I'm about to yell, "are you ok?" when out his unrolled window I hear, "YOU STUPID SON OF $(%*$%, MOTHER $(%U*($)"....well you get the idea. So apparently, this is all my fault. So I just keep going and he pulls ahead of me into a parking lot to yell some more. I just sort of shake my head and keep riding (somehow I doubt he's as familiar with Florida State Statues as I am and is more of the...I'm bigger, I go first type of guy). He then buzzes pass me full speed and lays on his horn. So I cut my ride short and doubled up on my run to get off the road before he came around again.

So I have the right of way, but I still yield it. He's a big macho man and tries to show off and ends up making himself look like an idiot and endangers everyone around him.....and it's my fault.

The funny part is Karma put him in a ditch...the sad part is now I have to watch my back because I've got this angry redneck that wants my blood...and is an aggressive, but highly unskilled driver out there. I live in a very small area where we only have one road...so we're bound to meet again, as I'm the only biker I've seen out at that time in the morning. And the thing is...all I did was stand there...he did the rest!!

2014-09-10 12:46 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Subject: RE: Karma Strikes the Aggressive Driver
I love it when bad drivers pay for their aggression. I can think of two instances off the top of my head. One time a driver swerved to get as close to us as he could while revving his engine. I am sure he thought that was hilarious. Until about 50 yards later when he slammed into a guard rail. Another time, a friend and I were riding and a driver buzzed us. Not a mile later, we saw him changing a flat tire. As we road past, I laughed and yelled "Instant karma!" which was probably not the smartest thing to do.

I do hate the feeling though of having to watch my back because of a run in with some deranged @#$!$#^%.
2014-09-10 12:56 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

That karma at least can make you smile - even though, he didn't learn anything at all ... 

It does suck that you feel you have to be careful.

I recently started cycle commuting to work and it would be really nice if everyone that used the road took a chill pill and a dose of courtesy.  It certainly isn't just drivers - other cyclists and pedestrians.  We are all trying get places, your places are not more important than the other person's places.  Follow the rules of the road and everyone will get to where they are going safely. 

2014-09-10 1:03 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by happyscientist

I love it when bad drivers pay for their aggression. I can think of two instances off the top of my head. One time a driver swerved to get as close to us as he could while revving his engine. I am sure he thought that was hilarious. Until about 50 yards later when he slammed into a guard rail. Another time, a friend and I were riding and a driver buzzed us. Not a mile later, we saw him changing a flat tire. As we road past, I laughed and yelled "Instant karma!" which was probably not the smartest thing to do.

I do hate the feeling though of having to watch my back because of a run in with some deranged @#$!$#^%.

The guy who hit the guardrail probably still blames you though...that's just how those guys work. The way they see it you shouldn't be in the road in the first place so it's your (our) fault for anything that their dumb you-know-what does.
2014-09-10 1:04 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by juniperjen

That karma at least can make you smile - even though, he didn't learn anything at all ... 

It does suck that you feel you have to be careful.

I recently started cycle commuting to work and it would be really nice if everyone that used the road took a chill pill and a dose of courtesy.  It certainly isn't just drivers - other cyclists and pedestrians.  We are all trying get places, your places are not more important than the other person's places.  Follow the rules of the road and everyone will get to where they are going safely. 

You hit it on the head which is exactly why I just stopped right when I saw he was going to go. It was my right of way, but whatever, I've got other things to worry about. I just stood there and let him go, but he had to be a big macho man about it and made himself look like a fool....but it's all my fault.
2014-09-10 1:28 PM

User image

Glad you're okay.  Never mind about karma, or getting the last laugh.  Get his license plate and call the cops.  When he buzzed by you and pulled over, I would have pulled over too and taken out my phone to make sure he knows I'm calling the cops.  The only way to possibly stop this type of idiot behavior is to make them think that they will get in trouble for it.  It doesn't matter if the cops don't actually file charges, they will at least have the incident on record, and the driver may think about that going forward the next time he sees you or another cyclist on the road.  Maybe it won't change his actions if he's a true idiot, but if the next incident involves a cyclist getting hurt, your incident on record will help paint a picture of this guys past.

Ride safe.

2014-09-10 1:43 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

I hardly ride on the roads. The last time I did was 3 months ago and the driver (actually a pickup truck...who would have thought huh?!) decided to almost run me over and I flipped over my bike trying to avoid getting hit and ended up getting a separated shoulder 2 weeks before my HIM. The guy was nice about it, stopped, and took me home when I asked him to it but still pissed me off. After doing up to 5.5 hours on the trainer this year, I don't mind it so much anymore. Not wasting an hour out and back to a place to stage from and not having to worry about some idiot not paying attention is well worth it, imo.
2014-09-10 1:55 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Jason N

Glad you're okay.  Never mind about karma, or getting the last laugh.  Get his license plate and call the cops.  When he buzzed by you and pulled over, I would have pulled over too and taken out my phone to make sure he knows I'm calling the cops.  The only way to possibly stop this type of idiot behavior is to make them think that they will get in trouble for it.  It doesn't matter if the cops don't actually file charges, they will at least have the incident on record, and the driver may think about that going forward the next time he sees you or another cyclist on the road.  Maybe it won't change his actions if he's a true idiot, but if the next incident involves a cyclist getting hurt, your incident on record will help paint a picture of this guys past.

Ride safe.

I didn't get his license plate. It's not well lit along the road (which is why my bike is lit up like a christmas tree) and in order for me to have gotten close enough (when he was in the median or in the parking lot) I would have put myself in danger. As I noted, it was really early (5:30am) and very secluded. That being said, I have been debating calling the police and filing a report regardless. I know the street he was coming off of, and that narrows it down quite a bit around here. I'm not sure if it would help or not, but I may give them a call to at least have it on record. I quite frankly don't expect much help from police around here though...they're just as bad.
2014-09-10 1:58 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by 3mar

Ride safe.

I didn't get his license plate. It's not well lit along the road (which is why my bike is lit up like a christmas tree) and in order for me to have gotten close enough (when he was in the median or in the parking lot) I would have put myself in danger. As I noted, it was really early (5:30am) and very secluded. That being said, I have been debating calling the police and filing a report regardless. I know the street he was coming off of, and that narrows it down quite a bit around here. I'm not sure if it would help or not, but I may give them a call to at least have it on record. I quite frankly don't expect much help from police around here though...they're just as bad.

Damn brother....you've got problems with everyone where you live. LOL

2014-09-10 2:10 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Left Brain

Ride safe.

You know...you can't beat the weather, but my goodness do they not like pedestrians or cyclists here.
2014-09-10 2:40 PM

User image

Ride safe.

You know...you can't beat the weather, but my goodness do they not like pedestrians or cyclists here.

Yikes, I was *this close* to moving there last year too...

Patti in NJ

2014-09-10 2:46 PM
in reply to: pugpenny

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by pugpenny

Ride safe.

Patti in NJ

This stat says it all...

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (38KB - 0 downloads)
2014-09-10 8:18 PM
in reply to: 0

Ride safe.

Patti in NJ

This stat says it all...

Not so sure it "says it all," unless it indicates the number of deaths per million "cyclists." And there are other things to consider, for example Floridians have the opportunity to ride year round, whereas that is not possible in many other states. Another thing to think about when considering something like which state has the "worst" or most inattentive drivers is the population density and number of actual "cyclist/car interactions" (like the number of times cars pass cyclists on the road) For example, looking at this, I am actually a bit frightened by Alaska. Year round riding is not an option, and it by far is the least densely populated state, although I guess you would have to consider the actual volume of road traffic.

Anyhow, my point being (not to disagree with you) is I'd label any of those states, and most if not all others as too dangerous. And I think that everyone agrees on that. I just don't necessarily see how these 4 feet laws are going to do anything based on the fact that they've been around, and nothing has changed.

Drivers AND cyclists do STUPID things on the road, and there are more effective ways to keep people safe then by threatening them with some fine.

For one, take Europe for example, there are bike lanes EVERYWHERE, sure, some aren't necessarily good "training paths" but you can get around and have a reasonably safe space to do it in. If the US has such a health crisis, perhaps having some more bike lanes may encourage people to ride their bikes to work or give them a place to exercise and give them the opportunity to burn a few calories. And hey, it could also potentially cut down on pollution! Seems like a good idea to me!

Two, since cyclists are the ones who are going to be far more likely to die during a collision, how about taking a few precautions. Its not always the drivers. I was talking to a guy at my LBS who has been riding for decades, and when he goes out, he goes out with so many lights, some flashing, that he said it makes him look like a Christmas tree, but hey, he probably would be less likely to get hit than most of us.

A third idea would be something that I mentioned earlier, using motion sensing technologies to warn drivers and/or cyclists of a potential impending collision.

Again, I am just not a big fan of more laws. We have enough.

Edit: realized I posted this on the wrong thread. I remembered seeing the graph on the other thread I guess, which is what got me thinking of the 3 foot/4 foot laws.

Edited by ImSore 2014-09-10 8:44 PM
2014-09-11 3:46 PM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by ImSore

Ride safe.

Patti in NJ

This stat says it all...

Not so sure it "says it all," unless it indicates the number of deaths per million "cyclists." And there are other things to consider, for example Floridians have the opportunity to ride year round, whereas that is not possible in many other states. Another thing to think about when considering something like which state has the "worst" or most inattentive drivers is the population density and number of actual "cyclist/car interactions" (like the number of times cars pass cyclists on the road) For example, looking at this, I am actually a bit frightened by Alaska. Year round riding is not an option, and it by far is the least densely populated state, although I guess you would have to consider the actual volume of road traffic.

Anyhow, my point being (not to disagree with you) is I'd label any of those states, and most if not all others as too dangerous. And I think that everyone agrees on that. I just don't necessarily see how these 4 feet laws are going to do anything based on the fact that they've been around, and nothing has changed.

Drivers AND cyclists do STUPID things on the road, and there are more effective ways to keep people safe then by threatening them with some fine.

For one, take Europe for example, there are bike lanes EVERYWHERE, sure, some aren't necessarily good "training paths" but you can get around and have a reasonably safe space to do it in. If the US has such a health crisis, perhaps having some more bike lanes may encourage people to ride their bikes to work or give them a place to exercise and give them the opportunity to burn a few calories. And hey, it could also potentially cut down on pollution! Seems like a good idea to me!

Two, since cyclists are the ones who are going to be far more likely to die during a collision, how about taking a few precautions. Its not always the drivers. I was talking to a guy at my LBS who has been riding for decades, and when he goes out, he goes out with so many lights, some flashing, that he said it makes him look like a Christmas tree, but hey, he probably would be less likely to get hit than most of us.

A third idea would be something that I mentioned earlier, using motion sensing technologies to warn drivers and/or cyclists of a potential impending collision.

Again, I am just not a big fan of more laws. We have enough.

Edit: realized I posted this on the wrong thread. I remembered seeing the graph on the other thread I guess, which is what got me thinking of the 3 foot/4 foot laws.

I was wondering if someone was going to pick up on that. Being an engineer, I use statistics all the time, and my all time favorite quote is, "statistics are like a bikini; they show you an awful lot, but still hide the most important parts". I'm not sure if the table above takes into account the increased ridership here (or at least the increased opportunity for ridership) due to the weather. It does cover the population density issue though, by being a rate (deaths/million) as opposed to an absolute number. I do have to say that just about every statistic regarding driving and safety is pretty rough here, and having lived in a number of places (Pittsburgh, Manhattan, Ft. Lauderdale and now the Keys) and also having a job that has me traveling all over the country quite a bit (I'm one of those guys that gets upgrades all the time due to frequent flyer status) I can tell you that the difference between South Florida and the rest of the country is stark and mind boggling. It's REALLY bad here.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Karma Strikes the Aggressive Driver Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Revenge on aggressive driver.....

Started by ChrisM
Views: 1093 Posts: 9

2013-11-15 8:38 PM DannyII

Heel strike or mid-sole/forefoot strike?

Started by Monbeef
Views: 1031 Posts: 10

2012-04-22 12:44 PM Monbeef

Running heal strike or toe strike

Started by idahocraig
Views: 1579 Posts: 8

2011-03-05 8:00 PM Donskiman

Aggressive Aero Riding Position

Started by bfraley
Views: 1063 Posts: 4

2005-03-02 12:02 PM Steve-

2005 race plan - too aggressive?

Started by Yoshiko
Views: 613 Posts: 3

2004-11-08 9:17 PM Yoshiko
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 4, 2008
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
Is surgery really the only option? What percentage of active patients have positive outcomes? Negative outcomes? How soon can I start training after surgery? What can I do?

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.