General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike riding position and fitting - Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-10 8:49 PM

Subject: bike riding position and fitting -
Hi!

I had a lot of troubles recently as I had to sell my first&only road bike (Ridley Triton C - 2006) ì

While testing a bunch of different brands I was never able to find the "same" amazing feel I had with that bike. With the Ridley, I was not in an upright position, but not very aggressive either, and the handlebar and saddle were VERY high.

I was in a fairly aggressive position but the handlebars were high.

After a few testing I came to the conclusion that CANNONDALE bikes felt somehow A LOT MORE near the ground. And this was disturbing me.

I was missing the sensation my Ridley gave me, when I was riding higher on the ground.

As I am a bike noob I am unable to say if those "riding-feelings" I got are rubbish or can be somehow truthful.

Can every bike be "adapted" to fit the exact particular riding-style (very high on the ground) as that Ridley Triton C ?

With TREK (in particular with Madone carbon models) I had the overall feeling the bike geometry was very similar to my Ridley, as the handlebar was higher, and I was still bending/stretching on the handlebars but staying way higher from the ground.

So should I follow the feeling I had during the test-ride that TREK geometry might be more similar of what I am used to, or should I go with CANNONDALE as anyway I can modify the handlebar during fitting?

I found an awesome deal on the Caad10... to be honest, I couldn't pass on it and ordered it, and I already know I want the fitter to raise the handlebar as much as possible while raising the saddle too... Can the Caad10 be transformed this way?

With the TREK I had instant love with the riding-style but it also was a less better deal, and I wanted to stick with alloy... I hope I'll be able to modify the CAAD10 fitting to replicate the Trek/Ridley I was used to.

Thanks to anyone who can help me seeing things more clearly, as I am still judging things by "feeling" more than knowledge, and I hope I didn't make a mistake going for the Caad10

2014-09-11 4:46 PM
in reply to: nils89

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: bike riding position and fitting -
Well looking at stack/reach for a 56cm 2014 models for both, you get:

CAAD10 stack 560 reach 394
Madone H1 stack 546 reach 400
Madone H2 stack 577 reach 387

So the Madone H2 is more relaxed (or "upright") and the H1 is more aggressive, so I assume the Madone you liked was an H2. The CAAD is between the two of them.

There is a range of adjustments you can make in terms of adding/subtracting spacers under the stem, flipping the stem or replacing it with a longer/shorter one. You oughtta be able to get the CAAD close to where you want it. Getting a proper fit from someone who knows what they are doing it always a good idea though.
2014-09-12 10:20 AM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: bike riding position and fitting -
Hey,

I hope it will work. And anyway buying my first "new" road bike I said to myself that as almost a newbie I shouldn't worry too much about finding the "perfect" bike.

I ordered that 105 CAAD10 for 1300US$ (at this price, the Best aluminium bike I could buy with 105), so even if it didn't work out I might use it for half a season and then resell it without losing a lot of money. And at least I will be able to say I rode the Caad10 and liked (or disliked) it.

Regarding the fitter, well, all LBS says their going to do the very best professional fit, so it's only a matter of trusting them and hoping they will ensure proper fitting.

Edited by nils89 2014-09-12 10:21 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike riding position and fitting - Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike Fit Help

Started by wfrodgers25
Views: 992 Posts: 4

2013-03-06 6:08 AM 1_Mad_Madone

Need help with my Tri bike fit

Started by eambre83
Views: 1541 Posts: 4

2013-02-10 11:41 AM audiojan

understanding TdF...how is peloton start position determined?

Started by michael_runs
Views: 2047 Posts: 12

2012-07-05 7:42 AM pitt83

Bike fit in Houston?

Started by jasonwb
Views: 1830 Posts: 3

2010-02-21 11:42 AM jasonwb

bicycle fitting

Started by tntrigirl
Views: 1541 Posts: 2

2010-01-10 8:15 PM dalessit
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?

date : December 15, 2008
comments : 0
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?
date : September 9, 2008
Many things will influence your triathlon bike position, but if you are forced to set your position up on your own, there are several overall guidelines that should help.

date : April 14, 2008
comments : 1
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.
date : March 17, 2008
author : CPT
In this third segment, Colorado Premier Training goes through several bike position tests to improve on rider efficiency. This was accomplished by varying the saddle height and aerobar width.

date : January 16, 2008
author : CPT
Colorado Premier Training runs Aaron through a stepwise power test on a Velotron to collect baseline data for future position changes.
date : December 5, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
What makes a triathlon bike a triathlon bike? Learn about angles, seating, position, aerobars, and the importance of a proper bike fit.

date : March 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Our regular USAT coach chat with lots of tips including discussions on Computrainers, bike fitting and position, triathlon and marathon training, Tim DeBoom lunges and nutrition.