of 2

2014-09-12 6:44 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: An Open Apology

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by morey000

yeah- I totally understand.  I did a race on labor day, where the posted sheets indicated that I won my age group.  Turns out, there was another guy in my age group that captured an overall spot- which was taken out of the age group.  So- I guess I really didn't win my age group!  it's a weird thing that I never really will understand.

anyway- I enjoyed your race report.  none of us are pro's.  we're all just out there doing our best.  you done good.  no biggie.

Nope....you WON your AG.  Any AG race I can think of, except nationals, takes the overall winners out of the AG, so you are the AG winner in the case you described..  The problem with Leego's race is that they did not pull overalls out of AG like age group races normally do.

There are some up around here that do leave the overall in with the age group placings. Up to the race. Very large majority pull them out. Spreads the awards among more people.

2014-09-12 7:05 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pro

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by morey000

yeah- I totally understand.  I did a race on labor day, where the posted sheets indicated that I won my age group.  Turns out, there was another guy in my age group that captured an overall spot- which was taken out of the age group.  So- I guess I really didn't win my age group!  it's a weird thing that I never really will understand.

anyway- I enjoyed your race report.  none of us are pro's.  we're all just out there doing our best.  you done good.  no biggie.

Nope....you WON your AG.  Any AG race I can think of, except nationals, takes the overall winners out of the AG, so you are the AG winner in the case you described..  The problem with Leego's race is that they did not pull overalls out of AG like age group races normally do.

There are some up around here that do leave the overall in with the age group placings. Up to the race. Very large majority pull them out. Spreads the awards among more people.

I'm sure. 

As much as I like USAT, and as good of an organization as I think it is, I wish they'd require that awards be handled the same for every race that they sanction, no matter which way it is.  The way it is now causes needless confusion.

2014-09-12 7:13 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
South Alabama

Well said. Respect for trying to take the high road.  Wait till you get old and guys get pulled out for masters or grandmasters win.....then I may have actually been 2nd in AG but get the award for first. Its all confusing. You raced well so be proud of what you accomplished and don't worry about this.

2014-09-12 8:59 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

New user
Howell, Michigan
I'll second this comment!
2014-09-12 9:02 PM
in reply to: LJonesCPA

User image

New user
Howell, Michigan
Operator error. This is the comment I intended to second.

Chris,

I am just an older dude with very little experience in this sport, but wanted to chime in here.

You provide much to this site and its users - both your valuable knowledge and the great attitude with which you freely share it has helped many of us, and has garnered you a lot of respect. Your post today has illustrated how well-deserved that respect is.

cheers,

ps always wondered what the story behind your username was... ???
-----
triosaurus : a dinosaur learning new tricks
REPORT SPAMREPLYQUOTE
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » An Open Apology Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Apology part IV

Started by TriMom217
Views: 1363 Posts: 22

2005-01-06 4:38 PM 3558

Apology part III

Started by tmwelshy
Views: 1139 Posts: 10

2005-01-06 2:22 PM tmwelshy

Apology Part II

Started by ChuckyFinster
Views: 958 Posts: 9

2005-01-06 2:09 PM G8RLA94

Apology

Started by the bear
Views: 1988 Posts: 24

2005-01-06 2:24 PM Lara

Apologies are in order (long)

Started by madcow
Views: 954 Posts: 12

2004-08-23 10:57 AM madcow
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.