Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Signs you're getting old... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-09-17 6:07 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Signs you're getting old...

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by Hook'em

When you are more interested in The Roosevelts than American Ninja Warrior

Or remember the days before TiVo when you had to choose between to shows...or worse, the days before VCRs when you had to watch a show when it aired or miss it completely.  (note - if you remember days before remote controls and color TVs, you're no longer getting old - you've been there for a whiile)

What's a TiVo?

I went through a good 10 year period in which I really didn't watch any TV at all, and during that time TVs got immensely overcomplicated. Now when I go home to my parents' house and try to turn the tv on I get so frustrated that I just give up and read a book instead.

2014-09-17 6:45 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by trijamie

Originally posted by Hook'em

When you are more interested in The Roosevelts than American Ninja Warrior

Or remember the days before TiVo when you had to choose between to shows...or worse, the days before VCRs when you had to watch a show when it aired or miss it completely.  (note - if you remember days before remote controls and color TVs, you're no longer getting old - you've been there for a whiile)

What's a TiVo?

I went through a good 10 year period in which I really didn't watch any TV at all, and during that time TVs got immensely overcomplicated. Now when I go home to my parents' house and try to turn the tv on I get so frustrated that I just give up and read a book instead.

Boy, I think I'm old, when I go to my parents and push the wrong button on one of the remotes that control the cable box, TV, DVD, etc. and the whole thing goes blank they just look at me like I shot the dog.  No way they are going to figure out what combination of buttons is going to get it back online.  It usually means a call to my brother-in-law who is an IT guy.

2014-09-17 9:26 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Denver, CO

Somehow it seems to be okay for me to age but it's just bizarre to hear how old this celebrity or that is.  Wait, Kirsty Alley is 63?!  Shawn Cassidy (yeah, remember him?) is 55?! How the heck did that happen?!

Remembering the "original" of a TV show or movie that's subsequently been remade, sometimes more than once.  (Which Knight Rider do you remember?)

My dad, who will be 80 in February, gets a kick out of the fact that he helps take care of "older" people who need some assistance around the house so they can keep living independently.

2014-09-17 11:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Awww Crap!!!  Kirstie Alley is younger than me!  I'm older than the people that are considered "old"! 

I don't feel old.  The odd ache or pain but I can handle a HIM, have a good time doing it and finish it slowly/BOP but in good shape. 

I saw "I Love Lucy" in first run black and white (like in "Back to the Future") and the first movie I went to see on my own was "The Longest Day".

I also remember exactly where I was when I heard President Kennedy had been shot (I was 13 at the time).

Edited by wenceslasz 2014-09-17 11:57 PM
2014-09-18 12:16 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Originally posted by laffinrock

Remembering the "original" of a TV show or movie that's subsequently been remade, sometimes more than once.  (Which Knight Rider do you remember?)

Kolchak: The Night Stalker
with Darren McGavin

I found out a couple years ago they remade it. OY

I still get a kick out of the expressions I get when I tell someone I saw The Who with Keith Moon drumming and Led Zeppelin with John Bonham

2014-09-19 9:48 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
My son has pretty strict "no screen time" rules during the school year. The other day, he asked me whether I had similar rules when I was a kid. I told him that I didn't really need them because there were no personal computers, tablets, or smartphones, and there were only three channels on our black and white tv. Going outside was always preferable to whatever I could have been doing inside. Having to stay indoors was even used as a punishment sometimes.

I could see that he was struggling with the image of what that must have been like.

I think in his mind, he was imagining that I grew up in some kind of Mad-Max-like wasteland with civilization in ruins and marauding bands of outlaws roaming the barren landscape.

2014-09-19 2:01 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Turned the big 5-0 this summer, but in much better shape than my non-multisport/cycling friends. And still faster than a lot of younger age groupers.

But one sign for me is the next in line as CEO of my company (a major corporation of about 150,000 employees) is a couple years younger than me. And while my immediate manager is older by a few years, other site-level managers are close to or younger than me.

2014-09-19 2:10 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Researching colleges with my daughter, who happens to turn 16 today 

2014-09-19 3:10 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn My son has pretty strict "no screen time" rules during the school year. The other day, he asked me whether I had similar rules when I was a kid. I told him that I didn't really need them because there were no personal computers, tablets, or smartphones, and there were only three channels on our black and white tv. Going outside was always preferable to whatever I could have been doing inside. Having to stay indoors was even used as a punishment sometimes. I could see that he was struggling with the image of what that must have been like. I think in his mind, he was imagining that I grew up in some kind of Mad-Max-like wasteland with civilization in ruins and marauding bands of outlaws roaming the barren landscape.

HA!  Great visual.  I too remember being out MUCH more than being in.  

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Signs you're getting old... Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

You know you're getting old when? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by kiwi4j
Views: 3150 Posts: 89

2009-06-19 9:20 AM Big Appa

top 11 signs you're gonna die... Pages: 1 2

Started by ellasdad
Views: 2123 Posts: 46

2007-05-01 9:27 AM FishrCutB8

YOU know your getting OLD when.... Pages: 1 2

Started by SweetK
Views: 1290 Posts: 34

2007-03-04 2:06 AM comet the dog

am I getting liberal in my old age?

Started by vortmax
Views: 1039 Posts: 19

2006-03-16 11:18 AM vortmax

What a drag it is, getting old

Started by Renee
Views: 1145 Posts: 21

2005-11-01 1:43 PM Renee
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 21, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
Part Three: What's Reality Got to Do with Anything Old?

date : September 16, 2011
Part Two: On Appreciation and Acceptance. At some point your body will let you down. Then you have to decide whether it is really the enemy.
date : August 19, 2011
comments : 1
Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.

date : June 27, 2011
author : Trmlo
comments : 10
At 66 years old, I completed my first sprint triathlon!
date : March 10, 2011
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete

date : March 17, 2008
author : Yosel20
At first I thought, "Oh boy, what a mistake!" Let’s face it, I could barely run half a mile, I had not swum in forever, and my biking skills were not great, to say the least.
date : February 7, 2007
author : browncd
Twenty years after signing up for my first triathlon, I finally made it...but just in time!

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.