Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Signs you're getting old... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2014-09-12 9:04 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: Signs you're getting old...

While I'm winding down the final year of my roaring twenties, I'm noticing more and more signs that I'm an old fart. The other day I got way too excited over buying a pair of pants, and my younger cousin and his friend had a grand ol time making fun of how outdated my favorite music is. Kids these days...

What tips you off that you're getting old? Lets hear em.

2014-09-12 9:22 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River
Subject: RE: Signs you're getting old...

ROTFLMAO!!!!!       29 is old?     

Thanks for the smile this evening.....

2014-09-12 9:36 PM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Whatever...I started singing Vanilla Ice today and my kids were lost! I have definitely gone over the edge!
2014-09-12 10:09 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by trijamie

While I'm winding down the final year of my roaring twenties, I'm noticing more and more signs that I'm an old fart. The other day I got way too excited over buying a pair of pants, and my younger cousin and his friend had a grand ol time making fun of how outdated my favorite music is. Kids these days...

OK, I got one......you're younger than 2 of my kids.

2014-09-12 11:07 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
There are entire conversations in English--about online games, or technology stuff--between my students or younger colleagues--that I have zero understanding of. I would actually do better if they were discussing something familar like cooking in Vietnamese.

About fifty percent of the time I wake up to discover my morning coffee is undrinkable because I left it in the freezer overnight. (I make it and put in the the fridge overnight so I can have it cold in the morning.)

I'm more sore when I get up in the morning than I am a few hours after a hard speed workout, and usually have no idea why as it's not something that was hurting the day before or was utilized in the last workout.

I can't even see the letters on an I phone pad, much less type on it.

I still think it's odd that people meet for breakfast or coffee, then spend most of their time staring at their mobile devices instead of talking with each other.

The only cool thing is that I can brag that I have podiumed in some event in every age category from 10 and under to 45-49! OK, maybe sometimes it was because nobody good showed up, but whatever.
2014-09-13 4:15 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

At local races, I know most of the guys in my age group.

I have no desire to own an I phone.

2014-09-13 9:21 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York

Other day at supermarket, two cashiers looking at me, then each other; clearly something was up. I said with a devlish grin, "what's goingggg onnn?
One says to the other, "see, I told you, he does look like my DAD!"
Devlish grin turns to frown as I ask: "And how old is dad!!!?"
"He's 42, but he's built with muscles like you."
And there it was.....I used to be able to go out with those 20 year olds, and now I LOOK LIKE DAD!
Son of a B%^%^&$^$

Edited by TJHammer 2014-09-13 9:21 AM
2014-09-13 9:52 AM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Pro
Tejas
29? Old fart?

Yeah, I got nothing...
2014-09-13 10:29 AM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by MadMathemagician

No problem, that's what I'm here for
I know, 29 and he feels old!? God willing I still have a chunk of good years ahead of me, but crossing over into a new decade gives me an opportunity to reflect on a few things as time shoots by. I now refer to my high school years as "when I was a kid." When I see a concert, friends ask me "You mean they're STILL around???" if they even recognize who I'm talking about. When I get a package of new socks for christmas, I light up like an 8 year old getting a Nintendo for the first time. Hell I even finally grew a few chest hairs, but of course I wax them because I'm sure it drops 10-15 seconds off my 100 times in the pool. And how do you explain the PANTS! I got excited over buying pants!

2014-09-13 10:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Holy.. I was completely indestructible at 40 !
At 41 it was a different story.
At 45, I'm on the DL after a crushing bike crash.
2014-09-13 10:45 AM
in reply to: louamerica

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

My daughter reminds me every day that I am old in her mind.  

I was reminded of my age in a simple way this morning, tweezing the gray hair out of the eyebrows.  I am not ready to LOOK old because I sure as heck don't feel it.  

FWIW, I was training a new person at work last week and said something about when I turned 50 I had people doing a virtual 50 mile ride with me to celebrate my birthday......both she and another person at work were shocked that I was in the 50+ crowd and guessed me to be 45 (almost 10 years younger than I am)

2014-09-13 12:31 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas

Originally posted by MadMathemagician

No problem, that's what I'm here for
I know, 29 and he feels old!? God willing I still have a chunk of good years ahead of me, but crossing over into a new decade gives me an opportunity to reflect on a few things as time shoots by. I now refer to my high school years as "when I was a kid." When I see a concert, friends ask me "You mean they're STILL around???" if they even recognize who I'm talking about. When I get a package of new socks for christmas, I light up like an 8 year old getting a Nintendo for the first time. Hell I even finally grew a few chest hairs, but of course I wax them because I'm sure it drops 10-15 seconds off my 100 times in the pool. And how do you explain the PANTS! I got excited over buying pants!

Just don't wear those socks with flip flops and you're good to go for a least another decade.
2014-09-13 8:35 PM
in reply to: #5049654

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
I've been feeling it with some younger folks at work - i've met toi many lately who have never seen The Princess Bride!!!! And worse, they have never even heard of it!!

Inconceivable!!
2014-09-13 9:57 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Originally posted by juniperjenI've been feeling it with some younger folks at work - i've met toi many lately who have never seen The Princess Bride!!!! And worse, they have never even heard of it!!Inconceivable!!
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

even I made sure my kids watched this movie , classic!
2014-09-14 3:44 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
LOL I dye my grey hairs red because I don't feel that old and red matches my personality better than brown....A lot of people guess I'm in my early 30's (actually 45). My mother (76 next month) also looks very young for her age, so must be genetic, plus good dye jobs. This got me in trouble once in a race--one of my AG competitors and her husband said I couldn't possibly be in the 40-44 category and insisted that the RD make me show them my passport (stupid--one registers with the passport number; presumably they check?). Not only was I in her AG, I was actually 42 so not even at the bottom end of it.
2014-09-14 12:45 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

My trick? I married a man 18 years older than me. I will ALWAYS be REALLY young :-)

(The fact that he is twice as fast as me at swimming, biking and running can be overlooked...)

2014-09-14 1:04 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I don't like to view it as "getting old" - just another phase in my life.

Hanging around middle-schoolers is a hoot - reminds me how carefree life is as a kid. All though they obviously don't think so as the drama is constant.

Went to a high school football game Friday night. People-watching the students was awesome. I heard my Mother's voice coming out of my mouth when asking why all (and I mean ALL) of the girls were only wearing black leggings and no actual pants?  I know, I know, it's the style now. Some of the girls can pull it off but not most. It's underwear/undergarment in my mind. That fashion has always been a head-scratcher for me, and I thought the fad would pass quickly but clearly it hasn't. 

I've been going gray since my mid-20s so gray hairs don't alarm me any more. 

The just-out-of-college co-workers remind me of ME when I was that age. I like hanging around them to make sure I'm up to speed on pop culture type of stuff. 

I'm super comfortable with where I'm at in my age, in life. I look at the past fondly but don't wish I were back at that age. I also look to the future and the next phases of my life with excitement. Don't regret anything and don't dread anything. Life is good

2014-09-14 1:40 PM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Crossing the 30 mark was a non-event for me. I was just starting a new career and had to spend some time back in school, so even though I was twigged as one of the "old guys", I really didn't feel it.

The 40 mark was more of a wake-up call for me. High blood pressure and then Diabetes coming on just sealed the deal.

Now at 41 my oldest just got his permit, and my youngest is still in diapers... I have a long way to go! Billy Gardell put it best: “I’m 40. I’m at halftime in my life, and I played a sloppy first half. You know you’re getting old when you hurt yourself sleeping.”

BTW, we own Princess Bride, Bedknobs and Broomsticks and a bunch more old Disney movies. My oldest (the only boy of 4) is a HUGE fan of Monty Python and was a WHOvian before it was "cool (again)". I think we're doing okay with our brood. However, I played "Sweating Bullets" by Megadeth when the boy was around... He thought it was Elmer Fudd. Not sure if I was going to pop an aneurism over that, or if I was happy he even knew who Elmer Fudd was!
2014-09-15 9:18 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

TW and I went to a club in Orlando this weekend. Well, club isn't really the word for it, but I don't know how to explain it, nor can I explain what I saw. It was fun and all, but as I looked around at the patrons, it was apparent that I've aged. But we kept up with those whipper snappers 

2014-09-15 9:33 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

New user
Key West
As a woman who just turned 60 this year I have to smile at someone who is 29 and feeling they are getting old. I vaguely remember 29. If it makes you feel better, from an athletic perspective, and otherwise, I would say my 30's were my best decade. That said, I personally became much more comfortable in my skin and with myself as the years went by. So what does that say about this decade.

I feel old from time to time because:

I have become invisible. I think it happened in my late 50's, when I stopped being someone who routinely was approached by the opposite sex to chat with and asked out on dates, usually by younger men. Now, I am literally invisible to almost everyone when I am in public.

Usually at least one thing on my body hurts when I get up in the morning

I sweat more at night that I do during a run (well almost)

I don't get the fascination with always being on a smartphone when you are walking, driving, and worse, with other human beings sitting next to you.

Technology is starting to leave me behind, just out of general disinterest.

I do find myself starting to pine away for the good old days.

I can no longer say I am "middle-aged" with a straight face.

I now understand why little old ladies look like they put on their makeup in the dark (because you can't see your face up close to put it on)

AND OBTW, my son was 10 years old when Princess Bride came out.

BUT--I will have run two marathons this year (after more than 33 years of running) and continue to race tri's (first one in 1985), so I guess I am not doing so bad after all.
2014-09-15 9:52 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

i'm turning 32 tomorrow and only feel like i'm getting awesome.

2014-09-15 10:06 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mehaner

i'm turning 32 tomorrow and only feel like i'm getting awesome.

Yeah, that lasts for about 20 years.....then you start wondering how something so awesome can break down so much.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-09-15 10:10 AM
2014-09-15 10:20 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Two from last weekend:

Saturday I had two workouts; run and a bike... I took a nap after each one. :-) But, stayed awake for a concert that evening with my wife!

Sunday: At Costco, I grabbed the "Mature" Multi Vitamins off the shelf to joke with my wife - then realized I'm only 4 years away from the target age group (50+).

Edited by RockTractor 2014-09-15 10:20 AM
2014-09-15 10:58 AM
in reply to: RockTractor

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by RockTractor Two from last weekend: Saturday I had two workouts; run and a bike... I took a nap after each one. :-) But, stayed awake for a concert that evening with my wife! Sunday: At Costco, I grabbed the "Mature" Multi Vitamins off the shelf to joke with my wife - then realized I'm only 4 years away from the target age group (50+).

That's pretty funny. Years ago I accidently bought the 50+ vitamins thinking that there were more than 50 vitamins and minerals included. Someone had to tell me that that's not what the label meant...

For the record I'm not actually bummed at all about getting older, I'm just getting a kick out of all the signs that remind me. Granted I haven't gotten to the aches and pains yet, so I might be changing my tune when that comes. When I turned 20 I was actually bummed because I had this idea that getting older meant that you got proportionately more boring, but thankfully I finally realized that was a complete load. As long as you keep doing the stuff you love, age is more or less irrelevant. In fact I'm really looking forward to my retirement! A shanty on the beach with my windsurfing board, a hammock, and a bazillion books to read. With my diet, lifestyle, and genetics, I'm hoping I can even make it past 100.

Being more susceptible to claustrophobia sucks though...it does get worse with age.

2014-09-15 12:14 PM

User image

Pro

1.  you've got a lot of nerve around here- thinking that you're old at 29.  Check out the age of all the best endurance athletes.  (in their 30's)

2.  I've just added "The Princess Bride" to my Netflix list.  Will force my daughter (10yrs old) to watch it with me.    A classic.

Best thing about getting old:  You get 5 more minutes to qualify for Boston!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Signs you're getting old... Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

You know you're getting old when? Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by kiwi4j
Views: 3150 Posts: 89

2009-06-19 9:20 AM Big Appa

top 11 signs you're gonna die... Pages: 1 2

Started by ellasdad
Views: 2123 Posts: 46

2007-05-01 9:27 AM FishrCutB8

YOU know your getting OLD when.... Pages: 1 2

Started by SweetK
Views: 1290 Posts: 34

2007-03-04 2:06 AM comet the dog

am I getting liberal in my old age?

Started by vortmax
Views: 1039 Posts: 19

2006-03-16 11:18 AM vortmax

What a drag it is, getting old

Started by Renee
Views: 1145 Posts: 21

2005-11-01 1:43 PM Renee
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 21, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
Part Three: What's Reality Got to Do with Anything Old?

date : September 16, 2011
Part Two: On Appreciation and Acceptance. At some point your body will let you down. Then you have to decide whether it is really the enemy.
date : August 19, 2011
comments : 1
Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.

date : June 27, 2011
author : Trmlo
comments : 10
At 66 years old, I completed my first sprint triathlon!
date : March 10, 2011
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete

date : March 17, 2008
author : Yosel20
At first I thought, "Oh boy, what a mistake!" Let’s face it, I could barely run half a mile, I had not swum in forever, and my biking skills were not great, to say the least.
date : February 7, 2007
author : browncd
Twenty years after signing up for my first triathlon, I finally made it...but just in time!

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.