General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bonking consistently, what to do? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-09-13 10:49 PM
in reply to: respro

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Subject: RE: bonking consistently, what to do?
Your training log is empty, which would help a lot. With the limited info included, I'd have to agree, you're simply attempting to outride your current fitness levels. Also agree drink less coke (the zero isn't much better than reg) and drink more water as a whole. I'm in the FL heat and humidity. It does take a toll but in reality you should be able to do 56 mi ride on water alone. I'm a big guy too and feel your pain

2014-09-14 3:22 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by respro

Sad to say but I have a bad nutrition plan. I still eat whatever I want and don't drink water unless I know I'll be training tomorrow. I drink lots of water then. Bad though, I'm up 2 or 3 times during the night going to the bathroom. I use 24 oz bottles for my rides. 2 scoops of perpetuem in each then fill with water. I had 3 bottles in 2.5 hours. Then stopped and got the Powerade and water and drank both like I was in the desert for 4 days! I drank 200+ ozs from morning breakfast to 4pm without peeing. I drank no water the day before this ride.

Thanks for the additional info. to be blunt...your strategy doesn't work.

Dehydration takes days to correct...peeing doesn't mean you're hydrated, it means your circulating blood volume has excess fluid to get rid of...not taht your body's tissues (muscles, organs brain) have taken up the fluid they need to properly function.

You need to take care of your body all the time, other wise youre just stressing out by what you're doing. It's like having "triathlon bulemia", where you binge & purge on what seems like a good plan one day then do nothing to support the body's functions on the other days.

Sorry to be blunt (not really) but by posting here and sharing you seem open to feedback! What's keeping you from taking better care of yourself?
2014-09-14 3:26 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by gsmacleod

Originally posted by MikeD1

It's been pretty well covered, but I'll add that I think you may be drinking TOO much electrolyte. The fact that you mention being covered in salt crystals. I personally seem to do very well on just lots of water, no additives, chemicals, extra salt, just lots of water. For riding over about 2 1/2 to 3 hours I'll add maybe 200 calories about 1/2 way in the ride. Usually something homemade, real food, like PBJ or Bananas, etc. I'm just not a fan of most of the "sports" drinks and foods.

Really?

How is that possible?

Shane

Low intensity probably? Does not seem far fetched to me. Of course there are missing pieces of information as well (pre-ride nutrition, overall diet, training history, etc). I have a friend who just did RAAM relay (4 woman) and the group of them regulary trained century rides on water only...but follwed a diet of low processed foods ,pre-ride UCAN which really does help reduce the number of high glycemic carbs needed, etc... Of course Danny Chew, local guy who won RAAM solo twice...does century rides on nothing.

It just depends what you have trained your body to do and what intensity you do it at.
2014-09-15 8:38 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by AdventureBear
Originally posted by gsmacleod
Originally posted by MikeD1 It's been pretty well covered, but I'll add that I think you may be drinking TOO much electrolyte. The fact that you mention being covered in salt crystals. I personally seem to do very well on just lots of water, no additives, chemicals, extra salt, just lots of water. For riding over about 2 1/2 to 3 hours I'll add maybe 200 calories about 1/2 way in the ride. Usually something homemade, real food, like PBJ or Bananas, etc. I'm just not a fan of most of the "sports" drinks and foods.
Really? How is that possible? Shane
Low intensity probably? Does not seem far fetched to me. Of course there are missing pieces of information as well (pre-ride nutrition, overall diet, training history, etc). I have a friend who just did RAAM relay (4 woman) and the group of them regulary trained century rides on water only...but follwed a diet of low processed foods ,pre-ride UCAN which really does help reduce the number of high glycemic carbs needed, etc... Of course Danny Chew, local guy who won RAAM solo twice...does century rides on nothing. It just depends what you have trained your body to do and what intensity you do it at.

I believe Shane was commenting on the possibility of drinking water without having lots of chemicals.

2014-09-15 2:14 PM
in reply to: MikeD1

User image

Originally posted by MikeD1

It's been pretty well covered, but I'll add that I think you may be drinking TOO much electrolyte. The fact that you mention being covered in salt crystals. I personally seem to do very well on just lots of water, no additives, chemicals, extra salt, just lots of water. For riding over about 2 1/2 to 3 hours I'll add maybe 200 calories about 1/2 way in the ride. Usually something homemade, real food, like PBJ or Bananas, etc. I'm just not a fan of most of the "sports" drinks and foods.

I'm going to guess that you're not a heavy sweater. If I drink nothing but water, my bibs will still have white lines of salt crystals. (To be fair, I'm not the cleanest eater, so I probably have more salt than I should in general.) Most rides (over an hour) I start with two bottles, one with Nuun and one with plain water. On a long ride on a hot day, when I stop to refill I will have a second Nuun. I don't think I'm taking in too much electrolyte (without some, I'll cramp).

I've never used Perpetuem, but looking at the info on Hammer's Web site, it looks like it's more about calories than electrolytes (9 percent daily recommended sodium, 3 percent potassium). So I don't think too much electrolytes is the problem here. But I'm no nutrition expert.

To the OP, I'm a pretty big guy too. I. Sweat. A. Lot. Drink more water, all the time. Ditch the Perpetuem and try plain water, or alternate water and a no-sugar electrolyte like Nuun or Skratch. Use gels or bars or a banana for calories if you need it. With the dehydration you're experiencing, I'm surprised you're not cramping (or do you?).
2014-09-17 10:35 PM
in reply to: Shop Cat

UPDATE: I rode the same course again today. This time I have started drinking lots of water the day before and morning of the ride. Also, I'm drinking water every day now. 56 miles in 3:31 with a bathroom stop and stop signs. I never felt like I would bonk. I took 4 24oz bottles. 2 water and 2 perpetuem. 2 Gus during the ride. Endurolytes also. At miles 40 I had drank almost all 4 bottles so I bought a large water to refill one of the bottles. The only other difference was a 10 degree cooler temperature. I was able to finish the ride strong into the transition area.
I may be wrong, but I think I have been riding and racing dehydrated for years! I ride lots of 2 hour rides with no problem. When I do the longer rides or triathlons I have had the bonking feeling almost every time! How could I have missed this? I thought I needed to ride/train more.
This may not be the right or only answer but I think you folks have helped me get this problem fixed! Thanks BT!

2014-09-18 1:26 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by respro

UPDATE: I rode the same course again today. This time I have started drinking lots of water the day before and morning of the ride. Also, I'm drinking water every day now. 56 miles in 3:31 with a bathroom stop and stop signs. I never felt like I would bonk. I took 4 24oz bottles. 2 water and 2 perpetuem. 2 Gus during the ride. Endurolytes also. At miles 40 I had drank almost all 4 bottles so I bought a large water to refill one of the bottles. The only other difference was a 10 degree cooler temperature. I was able to finish the ride strong into the transition area.
I may be wrong, but I think I have been riding and racing dehydrated for years! I ride lots of 2 hour rides with no problem. When I do the longer rides or triathlons I have had the bonking feeling almost every time! How could I have missed this? I thought I needed to ride/train more.
This may not be the right or only answer but I think you folks have helped me get this problem fixed! Thanks BT!

Awesome!! SO simple!
2014-09-18 8:00 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by respro UPDATE: I rode the same course again today. This time I have started drinking lots of water the day before and morning of the ride. Also, I'm drinking water every day now. 56 miles in 3:31 with a bathroom stop and stop signs. I never felt like I would bonk. I took 4 24oz bottles. 2 water and 2 perpetuem. 2 Gus during the ride. Endurolytes also. At miles 40 I had drank almost all 4 bottles so I bought a large water to refill one of the bottles. The only other difference was a 10 degree cooler temperature. I was able to finish the ride strong into the transition area. I may be wrong, but I think I have been riding and racing dehydrated for years! I ride lots of 2 hour rides with no problem. When I do the longer rides or triathlons I have had the bonking feeling almost every time! How could I have missed this? I thought I needed to ride/train more. This may not be the right or only answer but I think you folks have helped me get this problem fixed! Thanks BT!

that's great.  i would also strongly suggest you drink more water every day - start small - but start something.  maybe a glass of water every morning or a small glass of water every time you eat, or replace one coke zero with water each day.  you will barely notice the change in your routine but i would be willing to bet even more ride results like this above.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bonking consistently, what to do? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Bonking during run

Started by edwardskrod
Views: 780 Posts: 10

2006-09-25 7:21 AM edwardskrod

Bonking on the run - like every time...

Started by SBRSBRSBR
Views: 1076 Posts: 18

2006-08-16 3:18 PM Daremo

Am I bonking?

Started by Denise2003
Views: 848 Posts: 12

2006-06-14 5:22 PM kenail

I'm worried about bonking on the run (a bike question)

Started by glf33
Views: 812 Posts: 10

2004-07-15 11:00 AM Machiavelo

Bonking on the Run

Started by tboepple
Views: 926 Posts: 6

2004-06-21 10:39 PM tboepple
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : June 22, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
The race didn't really wear me out but it felt like my body was bonking. Do I really need Gatorade or some other sports drink after a race?
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : September 5, 2006
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
By not keeping pace with your carbohydrate stores during training, you quickly deplete the necessary fuel for your working muscles.