General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim times improved overnight Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-13 12:21 AM

User image

Kenmore, Washington
Subject: Swim times improved overnight
I took almost 10 seconds off my 100y pace since Tuesday. How is this possible you ask? With 15 minutes of training in my bathtub, and by training I mean buzzing a bunch of hair off with some clippers. I'm slightly less manly now. I did leave the clipper guard on so there's some manliness left I can sacrifice to go even faster in the pool. While I've made peace with wearing Lycra, I cannot bring myself to take a razor to my legs.

I've been swimming 4k yards / week just to maintain fitness over the summer and my pace was around 1:45 sec / 100. Today I was knocking out 100s in 1:35, and my fast 50 yard swims (after 1 min rest) were under 40 seconds (best was 32 seconds!). Woohoo.

2014-09-13 7:04 AM
in reply to: pnwdan

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: Swim times improved overnight
Seriously, you took 10 sec off your 100 time by shaving? Jeez, are you a Wooki?
2014-09-13 7:39 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

, North Carolina
Originally posted by Oysterboy

Seriously, you took 10 sec off your 100 time by shaving? Jeez, are you a Wooki?

More realistically he's probably a yeti, I doubt a Wooki would have the digital dexterity to manipulate a keyboard or shave for that matter.
2014-09-13 7:44 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Maybe a little placebo effect here? If it was that dramatic, too bad I'm female and not very hairy even for that--will never see those kinds of gains from shaving my legs and will have to be happy with believing that my compression suit makes me way faster than my normal suit. It does--by 5-8 second/100m, but I'm sure at least 3-4 of those seconds are because I think it will and I "feel" faster in it!
2014-09-13 10:01 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Shaving your legs makes even a bigger difference on your bike....wind tunnel tests prove it.

2014-09-13 10:20 AM

User image

Hereford, England
Is there any data out there regarding shaving for the swim, bike or run?

I've found bits for the bike, and it says over 40km tt it's about 50-80s quicker to be shaved.

2014-09-13 10:28 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Kenmore, Washington
I am not a wookie. I did post a video in the "Swimming Help - Post your videos" thread as proof :-) I am not super hairy. I buzzed my legs, arms, and chest, and my wife took care of my back.

It could be that the water just felt different. I'm used to slowing down if I don't work, but yesterday I would just glide, especially after kicking off from the wall.

2014-09-13 10:55 AM
in reply to: #5049698

User image

Extreme Veteran
thank you for getting my hopes up high and immediately dropping them off a ten story building. Only exposed area I have left to shave are my eyebrows.

Guess I'll stick to my "the pool keeps getting longer" theory to explain my getting slower problem.
2014-09-13 11:05 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Katy, Texas
A little off topic, but what are all of your thoughts on arm shaving? Here's my theory; in the water your legs are all drag, so it makes sense to shave em, but if you think about it, your arms are more effective in what they do (pulling) if they have hair. In my opinion, you want more hair on your arms to add "grip" to the water as that's exactly what you're trying to do. So, I think you're best off shaving the parts you want to slip through the water; legs, chest, shoulders and back, but leave the arm hair. Am I nuts?

Edited by 3mar 2014-09-13 11:06 AM
2014-09-13 11:31 AM

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River
2014-09-13 1:07 PM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Yeah I don't think it's because you've shaved. I did beat my fastest 100yds this week by 10 second (1:16...with lame open turns). I also for the first time did shave my legs before my IM last week but I know that's not it. Things are slowly starting to click and my coach's advice is sinking in. I'm very aware of hand position now and also I'm still living it up from my taper.

I would say your technique got better and/or you're less fatigued now.

2014-09-14 3:17 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by pnwdan

I am not a wookie. I did post a video in the "Swimming Help - Post your videos" thread as proof :-) I am not super hairy. I buzzed my legs, arms, and chest, and my wife took care of my back.

It could be that the water just felt different. I'm used to slowing down if I don't work, but yesterday I would just glide, especially after kicking off from the wall.

My guess is that you felt differnt things in the water by shaving and if you let it grow back and did those same things, YOu'd probably retain much of your new found speed.
2014-09-14 5:17 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by 3mar A little off topic, but what are all of your thoughts on arm shaving? Here's my theory; in the water your legs are all drag, so it makes sense to shave em, but if you think about it, your arms are more effective in what they do (pulling) if they have hair. In my opinion, you want more hair on your arms to add "grip" to the water as that's exactly what you're trying to do. So, I think you're best off shaving the parts you want to slip through the water; legs, chest, shoulders and back, but leave the arm hair. Am I nuts?

What about all the time from when your arm enters the water through extension?  That's likely when your arm is moving fastest (relative to the water around it, apart from a dive/wall push) and most affected by any drag the hair creates.

On top of that, the inside of my arms - the part that is catching the water in your pull - is pretty hair free.  The hair is all on top of my arms.

2014-09-14 5:46 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by 3mar A little off topic, but what are all of your thoughts on arm shaving? Here's my theory; in the water your legs are all drag, so it makes sense to shave em, but if you think about it, your arms are more effective in what they do (pulling) if they have hair. In my opinion, you want more hair on your arms to add "grip" to the water as that's exactly what you're trying to do. So, I think you're best off shaving the parts you want to slip through the water; legs, chest, shoulders and back, but leave the arm hair. Am I nuts?

What about all the time from when your arm enters the water through extension?  That's likely when your arm is moving fastest (relative to the water around it, apart from a dive/wall push) and most affected by any drag the hair creates.

On top of that, the inside of my arms - the part that is catching the water in your pull - is pretty hair free.  The hair is all on top of my arms.

Just a thought, and really an excuse to not have to shave my arms. My legs are enough to keep up with.
2014-09-14 5:56 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by 3mar
Originally posted by axteraa

Just a thought, and really an excuse to not have to shave my arms. My legs are enough to keep up with.

I'm too lazy to shave anything other than my face.  

that and my wife threatens divorce....  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim times improved overnight Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

workouts to improve 400m swim time?

Started by michgirlsk
Views: 13711 Posts: 18

2010-09-15 4:42 PM michgirlsk

improving my very sad swim times

Started by lobsteriffic
Views: 1218 Posts: 15

2010-02-25 6:03 PM lobsteriffic

Realistic expectations for improving swim time?

Started by UrsusAdiposimus
Views: 1964 Posts: 18

2008-12-11 3:51 PM DanielG

Best way to improve swimming distance or time?

Started by rebekah
Views: 1432 Posts: 21

2007-11-28 6:25 PM Renee

Swim Time - Looking to improve

Started by brownlab
Views: 1040 Posts: 15

2007-07-04 2:49 AM hannahs
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 5, 2010
comments : 0
I had hoped to break 1:30 this year but now would be happy just to break 1:34. My question is in my limited time I have left do I concentrate on speed work or endurance?

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Incorporating strides to improving your cadence, be light on your feet and improve your run times.
date : May 20, 2008
author : mikericci
I just finished my first Ironman - New Zealand, sub 12 hours. I am looking to improve my performance through training but wondering what equipment would help me towards a better performance?

date : October 5, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on bilateral breathing, working on balance drills, the importance of interval training to improve speed, the importance of kicking and sighting in open water.
date : May 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on bricks, bike position, blisters, bike fit, the walk/run method, improving run times, key sessions, training post ITBS, HR and cadence, wetsuits and eating to not bonk

date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.
date : December 27, 2004
author : gsmacleod
comments : 1
I have seen very athletically talented teams fall apart in clutch situations and much less gifted teams play well above their ability!

date : October 10, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...