General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Greetings From a Newbie Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-13 1:05 AM

Subject: Greetings From a Newbie
Hello there triathletes! I have just decided to start training for a triathlon. I can already run about 15 minutes, bike about 20 minutes, and swim about 10 minutes. So I am not all the way at the bottom, but I have a ways to go to 3 mile run, .5 mile swim, and 13 mi bike. But I am excited to start working towards that goal!

I am mostly here because I need bike advice. I normally bike for a long time on the stationary bike and the other biking experience I have is with just biking around town on a sort of mountain bike. SO I need advice on how to research and buy a good bike. And does that need to be a "road" bike or a "tri" bike? I have started youtubing stuff but I sort of figured talking to people might be easier. Anyway, so any advice you have for me in the biking area would be lovely.

Cheers,

Cassie

2014-09-13 7:07 PM
in reply to: clangs92

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: RE: Greetings From a Newbie
Hi Cassie,

Welcome to this great sport of triathlon and this friendly website. I wish you the best in your tri adventures,and sounds like you're off to a great start already.

If the bike you ride around town in works, is comfortable, and you enjoy riding it, I don't see any reason NOT to use that bike for your first race and even first racing season. For my very first season, I used my husband's mountain bike, which happened to be the nicest bike we had in our garage at the time. It wasnt' fast, but I liked riding it, and didn't really know what I was missing as compared to a road or tri bike. And I even passed some people at races on the bike leg that season, because I had trained hard and had good bike legs. (It's all about the engine!)

After one season, I decided I liked the sport enough to get a nicer bike. I ended up buying a good road bike (in the $1300 range) because other folks had told me a roadie was more versatile than a tri bike in terms of you can use it for triathlons and group cycling events like centuries. (You can't use a tri bike in some roadie events, as they don't allow aerobars) I visited alot of local bike shops and test rode alot of different bikes before choosing one to buy. That was time well spent. I raced well on that bike, and still love that bike and still ride it alot! It's a Specialized Dolce.

Several years later, I did eventually get a tri bike as well, and I am a little faster on it in races. I love that bike too and ride it alot as well!

Here's my bike buying blog post from way back when if you care to read it:
http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/post/gotanewbikespecializeddol...

Good luck!!!
Carol
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Greetings From a Newbie Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Greetings from a newbie in Indiana

Started by cggale
Views: 867 Posts: 6

2009-12-28 2:03 PM Gregkl

Greetings from a newbie in MA

Started by jdorsh
Views: 502 Posts: 3

2009-04-20 12:05 PM ratherbesnowboarding

Greetings from the sad newbie

Started by alan_lee
Views: 860 Posts: 16

2006-07-10 9:16 AM alan_lee

Greetings from a pre-first season newbie

Started by shepherd
Views: 727 Posts: 6

2006-04-17 9:03 PM cbost2678

greetings from a chicago newbie!!

Started by instigator
Views: 793 Posts: 13

2005-01-14 2:20 PM tupuppy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.

date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!
date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
comments : 1
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.

date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.
date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
comments : 0
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!