General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shoes with good drainage/vents? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-13 6:39 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: Shoes with good drainage/vents?
Figured triathletes might be able to advise here......I'm training for a December HM and have been really struggling with my long runs for a pretty odd reason--humidity is extremely high (ironically, highest early AM when it's generally coolest) and any run over 50-60 minutes results in my shoes and socks becoming completely saturated with sweat, to the extent that my feet feel like a ton of bricks and I am audibly squelching in my shoes. It doesn't cause blisters but does really feel gross. I thought maybe the heavy aspect was in my head but when I picked up the shoes today after running, they were WAY heavier than the dry pair (I have an older pair of the same model.).

Similar issues when I ride the stationary at the gym--I usually wear old running shoes but they get completely soaked. This causes the shoes to wear out very quickly as well--some of my shoes have literally fallen apart. (For running, I alternate 2-3 pairs for this reason.)

Any recommendations for shoes that have really good drainage/ventilation but enough support for a long run? I don't need super cushiony shoes as am pretty lightweight, but I do have some tendinitis issues in my feet (probably from being on them at work all day) off and on, and all my running in rainy season is on pavement (ground is saturated) so I can't do long runs in racing flats or truly minimalist shoes.

I prefer Saucony as they're the only brand I've had no fit issues with (long narrow feet but need a roomier toe box) but would consider another brand if they were comfortable. I normally run in some of their lower to mid range models such as the Tornado (current favorite) and Stratos (now out of favor as it feels too "mushy", even when dry)! Can't get anything here but i'm headed to Bangkok in October and should be able to hit a running store then.

2014-09-13 8:31 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Expert
Subject: RE: Shoes with good drainage/vents?
I have several pairs of Zoots that are my 'go to' shoes for rainy/sloppy days, and for races since they are made to be worn sockless. They basically drain off fairly quickly after you step in a puddle, and during rain , or winter running when it's slushy, they don't retain water like my other shoes do. So one time I jump over a curb right into soft mud, sink down about six inches, lose a shoe in the mud and have to dig it out! Took my shoes over to where the water was rushing to a sewer and rinsed them out, put them back on and continued my run with no issues!

2014-09-13 8:41 PM
in reply to: vonschnapps

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-09-14 3:32 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Looks like I should check out Zoots then--hopefully someone in Bangkok will carry them! Will check online. I did solve this problem for road biking and races with some tri-specific Pearl Izumi bike shoes, which are way better than my old Sidis in that regard, but should have thought it thru for running as well. It's been an issue every year to some extent, but this year the morning weather has been unusually humid so far--heavy rain normally falls late PM and mornings are cooler and a bit dryer once the humidity has been "rained out", but now the showers seem to be happening at random times and not daily, and early AM is often swamp-like!
2014-09-14 5:47 AM

Champion
Knoxville area
if you have a shoe you prefer already, there is the option of drilling some drainage holes in them.

I would only do so on race specific shoes, as it will shorten their life span.

Zoots, as stated above, are another good option if they work for you.
2014-09-14 6:35 AM

2014-09-14 6:45 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Looking for a trainer for long runs in particular. I could easily wear the Grid Tornadoes (if they survive) for the HM itself. It's not a great course for racing flats as the road is somewhat ripped up in spots, with patches of gravel. The race happens after dry season has started (usually). It's also in Cambodia, which tends to dry out earlier and be drier and cooler in "winter" than here. Just a real pain to train for as our wet season here lasts well into November!

Really don't want to do anything to further shorten the life of my shoes--they have it tough already!

Edited by Hot Runner 2014-09-14 6:47 AM
2014-09-14 7:13 AM

2014-09-14 10:50 AM
in reply to: 0

Pro

We all race in TT 4.0 or TT 6.0 and love them....and yes, they drain well.  The training shoes, on the other hand, like the Kalani 2.0 are complete junk.  I've had 3 pairs of them because I like how they feel, but the uppers wear out LONG before the soles do.  The stitching comes out and they basically fall apart.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-09-14 10:51 AM
2014-09-14 9:20 PM

New user
I don't really have much suggestion, but I sympathize your struggle with humid weather. Lately it's been pretty muggy here and my shoes are soaking wet after 14 miles. If it's a matter of comfort, try different socks. I find some socks feel a little drier even when wet. Smartwool socks tends to work pretty well, for example. You might even want to bring a different pair of shoes/socks to change during a run.
2014-09-14 9:52 PM

Chiming in on the zoots as well.   For years I used Sauconys, but needed something that would drain for a run/swim race, with 4 runs broken by three swims in which you carry your shoes (i.e, wet).  Bought a pair of lightly used ultra TTs 6.0 off ebay for $40, those are what I used in the race. I am a bigger guy at 195, but did several 10+ mile runs, a 15 miler (broken up by swims) and the race which was 19 trail miles.   No socks, and no problems at all.  I am a believer in zoots even for longer runs (up to HIM i'd say)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shoes with good drainage/vents? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Water vents in running shoes

Started by Skyhawk
Views: 1056 Posts: 7

2011-08-14 8:06 PM brigby1

Orthodics - Drainage problems

Started by mrexcitmnt
Views: 736 Posts: 2

2010-08-20 12:46 PM CRunner10

Need good running shoe store in Colorado

Started by macaco
Views: 910 Posts: 9

2005-02-16 11:18 AM Cuda

former skeptic discovers good shoes!

Started by madeye
Views: 680 Posts: 9

2004-08-10 3:02 PM tbone

Who makes the best running Shoes? Pages: 1 2

Started by David_Zen
Views: 1692 Posts: 30

2004-06-21 6:00 PM rookie44
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 5, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
So, since my beloved go-to shoe brand has changed its shoe, after reading the bruhaha about the minimalist shoe, I decided to give it a try. Now I have a foot issue with my arch area.

date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you
date : November 2, 2011
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries

date : March 23, 2011
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.
date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.

date : March 5, 2006
author : chrisandniki
BT'ers vote on all of their favorite products, sites and people. See results for the sports of swim, bike, run and triathlon.
date : May 30, 2005
author : Ontherun
Taking care of your equipment is very important, especially on a limited budget. The following are a few reminders of how to get your equipment to last as long as possible.

date : February 28, 2005
author : Don Magie
Whether your bike is new, new to you, or you have not been on the bike for a long time, you really should spend some time thinking about how your bike fits you.