General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reliable Discount Bike Websites? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-13 1:25 PM

User image

Subject: Reliable Discount Bike Websites?
I’ve been looking for an upgrade bike for awhile now. I’ve checked Craigslist a lot but the the people i’ve emailed haven’t gotten back to me so I’m looking for other optons. Are there any reliable discount bike websites out there? I’m looking for a good brand, trainer/racer, that is $500 or less. I know that limits my options but the budget won’t allow any more.

Any suggestions?

2014-09-13 2:07 PM
in reply to: Justice

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: Reliable Discount Bike Websites?
At that price point I think http://bikesdirect.com is your best option.
2014-09-13 8:14 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Durham, North Carolina
search Facebook for "online swap meet." Lots of people on there selling bikes.
2014-09-14 7:31 PM

User image

Champion
MA

You will do much better on a quality bike buying used at that price point than buying new.

You could post here in BT and on ST in the classified section looking for a bike post.

Another option is contacting local tri or bike race teams and ask them if anyone is selling a bike in your size and see if you get any leads that way. Often groups like that have FB groups and it is easy to post something and hear back quickly.

2014-09-14 8:32 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-09-15 7:28 AM

My mtb is from bikes direct. I purchase it from one of their retail stores rather than online.. I have looked at a lot of their bikes and would buy from them again.

2014-09-15 7:41 AM

Katy, Texas
I bought my entry level road bike at www.roadbikeoutlet.com I have no complaints in dealing with them. Looking back though, if I knew then what I know now, I'd buy a used bike at the same price point.
2014-09-15 8:50 AM
in reply to: 3mar

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
look at Craigslist or a used bike, you can get a good deal. I think you get higher grade components and that means less dinking with screws and more riding.
2014-09-15 9:08 AM

Dollar for dollar you could get a better bike used. But the selection is going to be smaller. There are more used bikes for sale in the spring than in the fall. A used bike could have mechanical issues. It might take a month or more depending on the market to find the right bike. Glancing at my Craiglist there is nothing that I would want in that price range. If I looked everyday I am sure I would find something.
2014-09-15 10:53 AM
in reply to: 0

Katy, Texas
Looking at your post again, I realize that you are in a similar situation to where I was. When I started 4 months ago I was looking for a bike in the $500 price range and in that range, the used bikes are pretty limited, and of course you're taking a risk buying used. As I mentioned before, looking back I would have gone used, but I also would have increased my price point and just went for something higher end off the bat. However, if you are looking at $500 and new, I bought the Vilano Forza 4.0 from roadbikeoutlet.com that comes with snap on aero bars. It's $480 so right under your budget and the shipping is free. Here's the link:

http://www.roadbikeoutlet.com/vilano-forza-4-0-triathlon-road-bicyc...

I have put around 1,200 miles and I can't say anything super negative about it. It's an entry level bike, so it's a bit heavy (around 24 pounds). The seat it comes with is a torture device, so you'll want to get a new one right away. Also, I would recommend taking it to your LBS to get it put together and fitted. It comes with pretty good online instructions, but like anything else, if you can, leave it to the pros. I did the opposite and put it together myself. When I took it to my bike shop eventually, they found quite a few things loose that could of put me on the pavement. Getting it fitted is also important. Other than that, you just need to invest in some clip less pedals and shoes and you should be functioning. That is the cheapest route to being online that I have seen. But the bike has been solid for me so far. The front derailleur has never been quite right even with the professional tune, but I don't use it very often since it's flat where I am.

The next step up from the same website would be their tri-bike which has a more tri geometry and comes with a carbon fork (the fork and frame of the bike above is all aluminum). It's $650 if you're willing to go a little higher in price. Here's the link:

http://www.roadbikeoutlet.com/gavin-corsa-triathlon-bicycle-shimano...

If I still had to go new under $700 I would go with this instead to at least get the geometry/fit.

Like I said, if I had it to do all over again, I would have just went to the 1,500-2,000 price point right off the bat and bought used. But if you want new under $500, the above is what I went with and it's got me this far.

Edited by 3mar 2014-09-15 10:54 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reliable Discount Bike Websites? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

discount websites...bonktown, clainlove, etc...

Started by bmcgee
Views: 888 Posts: 6

2010-07-29 3:36 PM Apotheosis

Any reliable resources in SUPPORT of heel striking?

Started by wurkit_gurl
Views: 2413 Posts: 24

2009-04-22 6:30 AM dallairelj

Looking for websites w/discounted bike parts

Started by Lisa B
Views: 812 Posts: 5

2009-04-16 3:19 PM mmrocker13

New bike gear website in...DENMARK?!?

Started by mlaugustine
Views: 764 Posts: 2

2005-05-13 3:28 PM Stake

Bike maintenance, repair, etc. websites and books

Started by lifesgreat
Views: 808 Posts: 5

2005-02-21 9:06 PM Steve-
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 3, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Whether you want to analyze your sports diet, get an answer to your questions about creatine, or find a new recipe for chicken, you can get an amazing amount of health information on the web.

date : October 31, 2004
author : chrisandniki
comments : 0
Getting fall discounts on triathlon equipment is more difficult than finding the Great Pumpkin, right? Well, I’m here to say it isn’t so. Deals for triathletes are plentiful - you just have to look.
date : September 8, 2004
author : TriSports.com
comments : 3
Online triathlon superstore, created for triathletes, by triathletes. We carry the highest quality triathlon equipment, triathlon gear and triathlon apparel.

date : September 8, 2004
author : promotion
comments : 4
ProMotion continues to excel in the Triathlon wetsuit market with evolved designs widely regarded as the finest available and loyal support from athletes worldwide.
date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 38
Know how to get around BT. Some essentials on emails, passwords, pictures, login problems and more.