FIT FUNdamentals
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 46m 21s
Overall Rank = 29/56
Age Group = F4549
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Pre-race routine:

Worked packet pickup the night before so I got to talk with a bunch of the athletes racing. Also learned that they had swept the streets and that there was going to be an event at the Star Center which is an event center that was right before the turn around. That could be interesting.

Coach came in and I found out he'd seeded himself right behind me to start. Wunnerful.

After packet pickup I went for Mexican food with DH and the boys. Went home, got my race stuff together, took a melatonin and hit the sack.

I'd set the alarm for 5:30 but by 5:00 I was wide awake so I got up and moving. Put on sun block (wishful thinking) and my kit with a long sleeve pullover and sweats over it.

Had a piece of toast & PB and made a cup of chai to drink on the way. Loaded everything in the car and drove the 10 minutes to the race site. I unloaded everything from from the car and headed toward transition.

Transition wasn't open yet (what?!) so I propped my bike against the building and went inside to get chipped and marked. Stood around inside the warm building. Eventually C came in so I chatted with her 'till we could get in to transition.

Once I got in to transition I got an end spot (yay) and got everything set up without incident (double yay). It was so cold I just couldn't be out there for very long. I ran a bit to wake the body up and try to make sure everything that needed to be moving was moving.

Talked with Coach and the rest of the group as they arrived. They were going to close transition at 7:30 and everyone was dreading that. I kept my layers on as long as possible but eventually had to leave them at my bag, knowing that I'd have to stand outside, in the cold, during the athletes' meeting.

So the group was huddled (cuddled?) as close as we could to stay warm during the meeting. James from my fave LBS walked up to say hi and felt bad that I was shivering. He asked where my sherpa was to take my jacket. I said no sherpa today so he gave me his jacket to wear for the meeting. What a guy. If you ever need s/b/r stuff in ABQ go to Hawks!

So the meeting ended, national anthem, time to line up for the swim.
Event warmup:

Some running and strides.
Swim
  • 09m 8s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

I've never done a seeded swim start because I always thought I'd be starting last. I had no idea there are so many people that swim slower than me! So we lined up numerically by bibs, based on the swim times that we registered with. Not only did I have Coach directly behind me, but Coach Michi was behind him. WHAT THE?!?!?!?!?!!?!? They were discussing being concerned about going out too fast. I told them if they stay behind me that won't be a problem :D

The line moved and moved and eventually it was my turn. I slid in and hit my watch and go!

I was feeling really good the first 50 then in the second lane my goggles began to take on water. Bad. So at the end I stopped for just a second to empty them and get them suctioned on my face better. Off and going again I was feeling really good about my effort and hitting the 8:15 I'd registered with. And then there was somebody directly in front of me and I had to stop. I got going again but by this time someone (Coach) was touching my toes. I stopped at the end and let him, and Michi, go by.

I stayed on Coach's feet the remainder of the swim and at times he and I both had to tread water to let the line ahead get going. Not sure it would have been any different if I hadn't let them pass but I was stoked that I stayed with them.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe not let them pass? IDK. I'm really happy with this swim. It wasn't as hard an effort as I was hoping for, but it was good.
Transition 1
  • 03m 34s
Comments:

While standing in line before the swim I'd discussed with Coach whether or not to put on another layer for the bike. I hadn't brought sleeves (fail) and had only the run hoodie I'd warn over my kit in the morning. Coach thought I'd be better off taking the time in T1 to pull the hoodie over a wet kit and be more comfortable in the cold weather. I didn't make the final decision until I ran out of the warm building and faced the cold wind. Yup. Hoodie. Thus the longer T1.

I was still happy with my T1 time. Coach and Michi were only a few seconds ahead of me. Michi had sleeves and Coach had a zip up jacket.

Remember to bring my sleeves! Plan for the weather to not warm up as predicted.
Bike
  • 58m 49s
  • 15.4 miles
  • 15.71 mile/hr
Comments:

Took off out of the parking lot and headed up the hill. Started passing people pretty quickly with the rolling hills. There was a girl in an EO kit that I was gaining on. After the turn on to Idalia I knew we were closely matched but I was gaining and had to pick it up and pass her. Shortly after I passed she came around me and slowed. So I was quickly within the draft zone again so I picked it up and passed her again. We made the roundabout and started up a decent hill (on which I own the QOM but I digress) when she came around me again and said something about seeing me when I pass her. I didn't want to play leap frog because I was concerned about a penalty so I eased up the hill and let her go.

As I turned on to PdV I looked for DH because he'd mentioned being there. Sure enough, there he stood, yelling and ringing the cowbell, with my four legged running partner standing next to him. I gave him a big smile and continued on my way.

This is the long false-flatish-undulating part so I wanted to really push it and keep it at a controlled suffer. When I got to the big hill by the star center there was some Jens-ing going on.

As I'd expected from the conversation at packet pickup there was a line of cars at the Star Center. Wasn't a problem for us, though they probably thought otherwise. I cruised up to their right, made my right turn and was on my way. As I approached the turn around I was Coach and Michi, so I was about a half-mile behind them. (Michi is in my AG).

Made the turn around and headed for home. The worst part was behind me. I cruised back, still pushing it but now the false flat was going down. Back past DH and on toward T2.

As I approached T2 I saw Coach and Michi headed out on the run.

Keep working on bike fitness but it was windy! I was pushing hard and only doing 17 going downhill!
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

I took of my bento box so I could use the hook on the saddle to rack the bike. It was really nice.

I peeled of the hoodie so I could start the run cool.

Nada.
Run
  • 33m 23s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 41s  min/km
Comments:

My feet were numb for the first 2 miles and the legs were pumping as fast as they could. Looking at the hills I just kept picking up my feet and setting them down. The sandy parts were brutal. Deep sand, uphill. Yuk.

When the dirt trail turned downhill I was pretty happy. Just kept trucking along. When I got to the water station I walked a few steps to drink, I don't do well drinking and running.

Got back on to the sidewalk and turned toward the finish. Of course when you go Up Up Up, Down Down Down Down, you have to go back up. So the run finished with an uphill and a steeper uphill in to the parking lot.

Overall I felt pretty good though. I was going as fast as my legs could. Maybe they'd have had more to give if I hadn't pushed the bike but I think if you factor in the big hills and the sandy course this was probably about what I've been doing for my runs.

I'm happy with this run. No leg pain, no GI issues, just me plugging along.

Keep bringing the run fitness back
Post race
Warm down:

As I crossed the line they grabbed my chip and handed me a water. I saw Coach in the line for massage so went strait there. Got a massage, the guy said my pelvis is mis-aligned and that's probably a big factor in my ITBS.

After my massage I grabbed a Dilly Bar and went to check my times. Chatted with the team members. Hung out for awards then grabbed my stuff and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training (or the lack thereof), weather (but everyone had the same weather)

Event comments:

Andie does a nice job. She had a lot of sponsors and had a lot of give-aways at the end.

That being said I'm not a fan of pool swims with two directions in a lane. There is always an issue with passing.

The transition being opened late was only a minor inconvenience. The course was well marked and had lots of Law Enforcement and volunteers to control traffic. That being said, there was a lot of traffic and that's scary when you are riding, let alone trying to pass another cyclist.

The run? It's tough. Take it or leave it.

Last updated: 2014-07-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:08 | 400 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/6
Overall: 0/56
Performance: Good
Suit: kit
Course: 8 lane pool, up and back in each lane
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:34
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:58:49 | 15.4 miles | 15.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/6
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Up Loma Colorado to Idalia to Paseo Del Vulcan to the Star Center and back
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:23 | 05 kms | 06m 41s  min/km
Age Group: 4/6
Performance: Average
Course: Per the RD during the athlete's meeting: Go out of the parking lot and turn left, go up hill, turn left, go up hill, turn left, go up hill some more... Pretty much. The first part is on the sidewalk then the middle is on sandy dirt roads then back on to the sidewalk
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-09-13 10:30 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: Patriot Triathlon

2014-09-13 11:11 PM
in reply to: #5049906

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Patriot Triathlon
Sheesh...what was with the wind today???? Good work in non-ideal conditions. And smart plan with bike girl, since you're already QOM :D Is misaligned pelvis a new addition to possible causes?
2014-09-14 2:35 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Denver, CO

What sucky weather!!  Running through sand after that ride sounds awful.  You did a great job dealing with less-than-ideal conditions.  Way to go!  Looking forward to seeing you next weekend.  Hopefully the good weather here will hold out.  The water's pretty cold (64* today!!), so be sure you bring your wetsuit.  You're gonna LOVE the ride!

2014-09-15 8:46 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Good job in less then stellar conditions. Nice that you were hanging with coach through the swim.

2014-09-15 10:05 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Nice race!

The two-way traffic lanes in the swim sound frustrating...
2014-09-15 10:12 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Nice race in tough conditions -- wind, sand, cold snap. Good job out there!

2014-09-15 10:58 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by laffinrock

What sucky weather!!  Running through sand after that ride sounds awful.  You did a great job dealing with less-than-ideal conditions.  Way to go!  Looking forward to seeing you next weekend.  Hopefully the good weather here will hold out.  The water's pretty cold (64* today!!), so be sure you bring your wetsuit.  You're gonna LOVE the ride!

Ummmm didn't you all have snow last week?! I will def pack the wetsuit!

2014-09-15 10:59 AM
in reply to: RockTractor

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by RockTractor Nice race! The two-way traffic lanes in the swim sound frustrating...

I really really do not like two-way lane swims. I refused to do Live Love Tri after the mess last year. Andie assured me this one would be better because it's seeded. Ummmm notsomuch!

2014-09-15 11:19 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by RockTractor Nice race! The two-way traffic lanes in the swim sound frustrating...

I really really do not like two-way lane swims. I refused to do Live Love Tri after the mess last year. Andie assured me this one would be better because it's seeded. Ummmm notsomuch!

My top three reasons for not signing up for some local races:
In no particular order... two-way lanes, seeded swim starts (why can't people just be honest about their times?), and cold weather.
You got the "Suck Trifecta"!

Again, way to stick it out and get it done!

Are you racing Santa Fe next weekend?
2014-09-15 11:25 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Not here but Boulder did, then it was pretty warm this weekend--classic CO fall weather.  This week is supposed to be in the 70's-80's with rain on Friday.  Sat. and Sun. are predicted to be in the 70's and dry.  (Not that I'm following the forecast or anything. )  Don't think the water's going to warm up much, especially with the rain on Friday.  Dirty Girl is gonna be *dirty* and Oktoberfest will probably be a mudfest, especially the run on the dirt road.

2014-09-15 11:52 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by RockTractor

My top three reasons for not signing up for some local races: In no particular order... two-way lanes, seeded swim starts (why can't people just be honest about their times?), and cold weather. You got the "Suck Trifecta"! Again, way to stick it out and get it done! Are you racing Santa Fe next weekend?

I add to your list: Non-closed roads and lousy New Mexico drivers!

That being said, I am racing an OWS sprint in Colorado this weekend

2014-09-15 11:53 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Not here but Boulder did, then it was pretty warm this weekend--classic CO fall weather.  This week is supposed to be in the 70's-80's with rain on Friday.  Sat. and Sun. are predicted to be in the 70's and dry.  (Not that I'm following the forecast or anything. )  Don't think the water's going to warm up much, especially with the rain on Friday.  Dirty Girl is gonna be *dirty* and Oktoberfest will probably be a mudfest, especially the run on the dirt road.

Good point. I'll plan to wear old shoes both days!

2014-09-15 5:00 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Good point. I'll plan to wear old shoes both days!

I probably shouldn't but I'm going to wear my new shoes.  My old ones really are shot--my ankles hurt every time I run in them.  Guess the new ones were get dirty sooner or later so I might as well do 'em up right!

2014-09-15 5:04 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Great job, TJ!  Nice work keeping up with the coaches on the swim, owning a QOM on the bike, and plugging away on a tough run.

2014-09-15 5:45 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Great race!! Pool swims with the snake swim are no fun.  I hate that by the time this slow swimmer gets IN the water the winners and fast swimmers (overall fast people) are done and enjoying post race activities while I am still waiting to even start my day.  Waiting in cold weather makes it even more miserable.

Great job hanging on the feet of your coach and taking QOM on the bike!

2014-09-16 9:00 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
I am racing an OWS sprint in Colorado this weekend

Good luck!

2014-09-16 10:38 AM

User image

Seattle

Wow, sounds like a wild time! Nice work TJ!

2014-09-17 9:35 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Nicely done.

and I can't believe no one mentioned the DILLY BARS! OH YEAH! Totally worth the suck conditions, right?
2014-09-17 4:44 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Nicely done. and I can't believe no one mentioned the DILLY BARS! OH YEAH! Totally worth the suck conditions, right?

Right?

2014-09-17 4:46 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by QueenZipp

Great race!! Pool swims with the snake swim are no fun.  I hate that by the time this slow swimmer gets IN the water the winners and fast swimmers (overall fast people) are done and enjoying post race activities while I am still waiting to even start my day.  Waiting in cold weather makes it even more miserable.

Great job hanging on the feet of your coach and taking QOM on the bike!

Wellll, I already had  the QOM. I didn't get it during the race. As a matter of fact I botched my GPS so I got only the run on strava  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Patriot Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Patriot's Triathlon

Started by Miss_Bethy
Views: 1082 Posts: 2

2006-09-21 12:10 PM gymnutt03

Patriot's Triathlon

Started by gymnutt03
Views: 1059 Posts: 5

2006-09-19 11:25 AM gymnutt03