General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aerobar water bottle recommendations Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-14 10:12 AM

User image

Subject: Aerobar water bottle recommendations
The variety of aerobar water bottle system is a bit baffling. Does anyone have any recommendations? Do they all have a way to mount a Garmin?

2014-09-14 10:16 AM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: Aerobar water bottle recommendations
I know its not the most sexy, but I still love my PD aerodrink. Using one of the profile handlebar mounting things, easy enough to mount my garmin on the aerobats along with the bottle
2014-09-14 10:33 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

There seems to be two major types: the bottles that are horizontal and those that hang down between the bars. It would seem to me that the horizontal ones are more aerodynamic.
2014-09-14 10:53 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by b2run There seems to be two major types: the bottles that are horizontal and those that hang down between the bars. It would seem to me that the horizontal ones are more aerodynamic.

Yes, that's true.  Generally, a bottle mounted torpedo style between the aero bars is the best aerodynamically.  Because it's between your forearms and behind your hands, there is usually zero aero "cost".

A simple inexpensive solution can be to zip tie a standard cage between the bars.  Personally, I found that to be too bouncy on rough roads, causing me to launch a couple bottles, so I upgraded to a purpose-built mount like this:

2014-09-14 11:07 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by b2run There seems to be two major types: the bottles that are horizontal and those that hang down between the bars. It would seem to me that the horizontal ones are more aerodynamic.

Yes, that's true.  Generally, a bottle mounted torpedo style between the aero bars is the best aerodynamically.  Because it's between your forearms and behind your hands, there is usually zero aero "cost".

A simple inexpensive solution can be to zip tie a standard cage between the bars.  Personally, I found that to be too bouncy on rough roads, causing me to launch a couple bottles, so I upgraded to a purpose-built mount like this:

I don't see a way to mount a Garmin on that. Am I missing it or is it not possible.
2014-09-14 11:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Hereford, England
I read somewhere that a vertically mounted bottle, although has more drag that a horizontal mounted one, it deflects the air around the body, thus gaining better aerodynamics as a whole.

I don't know how true it is, or where I read it though...

I'll have another look and see.

This site may be of some help:

http://university.tri-sports.com/2011/04/26/aerobar-drink-systems/

TorHans 30 system seeming to come up the best.

Edited by Eucid 2014-09-14 11:58 AM

2014-09-14 12:41 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by b2run

I don't see a way to mount a Garmin on that. Am I missing it or is it not possible.

Sorry, I didn't address that...No, it doesn't provide a mount for your Garmin.  I'm not a fan of mounting your Garmin on the bike.  If you have a 910, then you will want it on the swim.  To wear it on the swim, I don't like the quick disconnect, because it either adds bulk under your wetsuit sleeve, or you're at risk for losing it.  Instead, wear it on your wrist, and spin it around to the inside on the bike so you can see it while in the aerobars.  You should be in that position most of the time anyway.  If you're using a non-swimming model, such as the 305, and feel strongly about mounting it on your bars, you would need a separate mount if you used the xlab torpedo bottle mount.

2014-09-14 12:47 PM
in reply to: Eucid

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Eucid I read somewhere that a vertically mounted bottle, although has more drag that a horizontal mounted one, it deflects the air around the body, thus gaining better aerodynamics as a whole...

Everything I've ever seen indicates that a torpedo mounted bottle is the best aerodynamically.  I've never seen any wind tunnel data that would support using vertical bottles such as Profile Design's aero bottle.  If you've read something with objective data, please share it, because I'd be interested in reading it.

2014-09-14 12:50 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Originally posted by Eucid I read somewhere that a vertically mounted bottle, although has more drag that a horizontal mounted one, it deflects the air around the body, thus gaining better aerodynamics as a whole...

Everything I've ever seen indicates that a torpedo mounted bottle is the best aerodynamically.  I've never seen any wind tunnel data that would support using vertical bottles such as Profile Design's aero bottle.  If you've read something with objective data, please share it, because I'd be interested in reading it.

Read on ST a while back that Jim (at Ero) had tested the Torhans VERY well, and on some new (clean front end) superbikes. I'll try to dig up the thread after while.
2014-09-14 1:04 PM

User image

Hereford, England
I've just seen this website. There is a graph on there with some interesting data. Seems the TorHans has low drag compared with the others, but they suggest a torpedo style mount for ease of access/filling.

http://aerogeeks.com/2013/01/06/aerogeeks-hydration-guide-bta/

I could have misread about vertical being better as a whole, but horizontal less drag... I don't know, I read too much and take in too little lol.
2014-09-14 1:07 PM
in reply to: Eucid

User image

So......, how about recommendations on specific systems or brands?

2014-09-14 1:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
below is the link to that thread.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5043968;search_string=t...

FWIW my thoughts on the Torhans (I use a 20 and have bought a 30 for future use in longer races)

- The straw "shroud" does not stay on while riding over "moderately" rough terrain. You need to find some way to secure it better than what is provided, (I put a pushpin through mine) or buy quite a few extras.

- The refillable lid isn't terribly good at keeping water IN the bottle. You will experience some splash that *CAN* be worked around pretty easily (I use the solid lid and just hold it in my teeth while I refill... using a sponge type thing like profile design does would work too)

- Depending on what computer you use, the aero tray (to mount it on) can be a tight fit.

I use the torhans because a BTA bottle tested very poorly for me in the tunnel with raised (mantis) arms. Both are good solutions in my opinion... each with their own positives and negatives.

* the biggest issue I've ever had with a BTA setup is during a race if the volunteer "breaks" the bottle opening. (the kinds of bottles that seem popular in IM brand races are the likely culprits) You can end up wearing a LOT of water.

Edited by Leegoocrap 2014-09-14 1:30 PM
2014-09-14 1:27 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Sorry for the not close up pic...I can snap another later on this evening if you'd like a better look.

I have a cage zip tied to the aero bars and use the normal garmin mount right onto the bottle. The garmin 500 sits a little bit above my forearms, so that may be not so great aero-wise, but it is in a pretty good viewing spot and is solid...not rattles or wiggles.

Of course, it'll depends on the cage and bottle, but there is no way this will launch. It is a snug fit, but then the garmin's rubber bands pull the cage a little tighter and also add grip onto the bottle.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
2014-09-14 2:13 PM

User image

Hereford, England
This is obviously bias to a point. But worth a look.

http://www.torhans.com/images/TorHans_Details_On_Design.pdf
2014-09-14 5:33 PM
in reply to: #5049945

User image

I havea torhans bottle with theshelf thing for mygarmin. I haveno comparison, but I like it.
2014-09-14 5:51 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I have a DIY torpedo mount and a DIY garmin mount on my tri bike.  My wife doesn't like the torpedo mount and recently started using the Torhans 30 and likes it a lot.  She has a DIY garmin mount in between her aerobars up near the hands, same as what I have.

2014-09-14 7:02 PM

User image

Zipp. I don't have one yet, but its the one I will be buying soon

http://www.zipp.com/accessories/detail.php?ID=30010
2014-09-14 7:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
I tried a few. Originally had the PD aerodrink bottle between the bars. Found the PD leaked more than I liked and was a bit of a pain to clean. Moved to having the 2 mounted behind the saddle. Disliked having to reach behind, always in fear of launching bottles, and wasn't crazy about the increased clearance to swing your leg around and mount the bike. Moved to the Speedfil A2. WAY too many pieces to clean.

Settled now for the last few years on a regular bottle cage zip tied to the bars. Has been solidly bullet proof and I don't have problems with spillage or rattling.

As far as the mount. I used a PD computer mount when I used my 910 on the bike. Worked fine. Recently I moved to using a Garmin 810 on the bike rather than my watch. The 810 is quite a bit larger than the 910 and I found the Garmin would rotate around the PD mount when riding. I don't want my Garmin hitting the ground at 20mph, so I moved to this http://www.barflybike.com/barflytt/

I have the Barfly mounted just above the bottle almost right where my hands meet on the TT bars. Easy to see and my bottle never gets in the way or slashes all over the face.
2014-09-14 9:56 PM

User image

Thanks for all the advice. I've ordered a Torhans. It seems like it's aero and had solid recommendations.
2014-09-15 6:41 AM
in reply to: #5050040

I run the xlab torpedo 400. Can't fault it, even has the mount up the front for the garmin so you don't need to look down and back to far. It's a good setup, just a bit expensive though. But so is all the good stuff we don't need in this sport.
2014-09-15 8:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by b2run Thanks for all the advice. I've ordered a Torhans. It seems like it's aero and had solid recommendations.

I loved the Torhans.  Wish I could still use it but it doesn't work with the new Speed Concept mono extension aerobars.  Been using the Speedfil A2 but that thing is problematic if the darn straw isn't angled down.  My A2 was useless at Ironman Canada because somehow the straw was turned up inside the bottle so I got more air than drink.

2014-09-15 9:41 AM

I've tried the profile designs aero hc and the xlab torpedo systems.

I didn't like the profile design one because the computer mount was behind the bottle and impossible to look at when on the bike. Plus I didn't like the straight up straw always being in my face. This was my first try at an aero bottle.

Then tried xlab torpedo and it's much better. Computer mount out in front and the straw clips down out of the way. My biggest knock is the refillable lid is too small for and narrow to be refilled by the perform bottles on ironman. Not too big of a deal as I just ran water in the bottle. And kept bottle of perform in seat bottle. Overall I really like the torpedo system.
2014-09-15 10:19 AM
in reply to: abbattoir

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by abbattoir

I've tried the profile designs aero hc and the xlab torpedo systems.

I didn't like the profile design one because the computer mount was behind the bottle and impossible to look at when on the bike. Plus I didn't like the straight up straw always being in my face. This was my first try at an aero bottle.

Then tried xlab torpedo and it's much better. Computer mount out in front and the straw clips down out of the way. My biggest knock is the refillable lid is too small for and narrow to be refilled by the perform bottles on ironman. Not too big of a deal as I just ran water in the bottle. And kept bottle of perform in seat bottle. Overall I really like the torpedo system.

I've been using the xlab torpedo this year, it is much better than the PD that I had before. Computer mounts to the front so the numbers are basically right in front of you at all times- that's the positive. The negative is the Velcro strap will not hold it tight enough to stop it from bouncing around on moderately rough roads. I use zip ties to hold it in place and that does the trick, however they don't last forever. I found out the hard way in August when one snapped during an Oly tri and I had to hold the thing in place with my left hand for 3/4 of the race. I now double up the zip ties on the front to hold it in place, keeps it rock solid even on the roughest roads.
2014-09-15 11:41 AM
in reply to: Jimmycolorado

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
If your bottle with zipties is moving around too much you probably didn't tighten them enough. I haven't used the one with velcro mounts, but I can't imagine how you could get a velcro mount tighter than a zip tie. I used to have a PD Aerodrink, and those velcro mounts, even with the plastic mount peice on top of the aerobars moved more than my ziptie cage does.

I actually use one of those $3.99 steel bottle cages. You can bend the metel in/out to adjust for bottle size/tightness if necessary. Works good even for the bottled water they tyically give at IM events.

As for Garmin mount, I just used zipties and a plastic tube. I will advise againts unsing any type of steel braded tube though. Intially that is what I used and I had all kinds of problems with reading my sensors. I guess it messed with how it reads them.

(1456731_10152007439371183_568578794_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
1456731_10152007439371183_568578794_n.jpg (41KB - 19 downloads)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aerobar water bottle recommendations Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Aerobar horizontal water bottle question

Started by rockymtnhigh
Views: 988 Posts: 3

2012-05-31 9:48 AM cxk9758

Aerobar Cage Bottle

Started by mktoson
Views: 3393 Posts: 24

2011-03-07 10:17 AM Donto

Water Bottle that keeps water cold

Started by tlane
Views: 1230 Posts: 10

2006-06-12 11:22 AM wsm9363

Aerobar Recommendations

Started by jmf-tt
Views: 707 Posts: 3

2005-03-03 6:06 PM PGoldberger

Aerobar Aero water bottle

Started by tractoral
Views: 1374 Posts: 6

2004-03-20 3:26 AM sherrick
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 1
What is the best way to carry fluid on your bike in a triathlon?

date : February 27, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
How is water used in the body? Is bottled water better? Should I drink 8 glasses of water a day?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : September 5, 2006
author : DominiqueL
comments : 12
When people think of hydration in the aero position, the first name that comes to mind is the Aerodrink from Profile Design. I was expecting a pretty quick and breezy review of this water bottle.
date : June 6, 2006
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
Rocket Science Sports has applied its hyper-technical approach to designing a water bottle. The result is a water bottle with dimples similar to those on a golf ball.