General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Made the jump from Sprint to first Oly... HALP!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-14 11:16 AM

User image

Subject: Made the jump from Sprint to first Oly... HALP!!!
Happy Sunday, my sweet Trolls!

So, I know there's infinite training plans out there, but I am looking for real solid advice from my Tri peers. Also, because I don't really understand training plans on the web... :/

How much training should I be doing, making the jump from Sprint to Olympic?

This is my first year in Triathlon, I've completed 4 Sprints so far, podium in all, top 10 overall (age 25-29). I figured, why not end this year trying an Oly for my final race? Cuz I hate myself, clearly... Lol. No, honestly I wanna see what it's like.

I'm the crazy amateur that usually trains off of how I feel that day. I start every week thinking about what needs to be done for that week, but that's about it. My current schedule is:

Monday - off
Tuesday - 3-4 mile run at race pace
Wednesday - bike 12m/run off 1 mile
Wednesday (night) 1100 meter swim
Thursday - cross train, boot camp class
Friday - easy bike 10 miles
Sat- 5 mile easy run (I'm still insanely sore from weights on Thursday)
Sun - 1 mile swim

I've read a few articles but they contradict one another. Some say to train harder, others say to train farther... I figure I have to do both... But what is better if I have to pick one?

I am a mom of two boys... Age 2 & 4 so training is tough but I'm competitive and willing to put in the work. Also, how did you feel when you guys made your first jump to the next distance? So far, I'm feeling more unsure than excited :/

2014-09-14 11:55 AM
in reply to: #5049956

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Made the jump from Sprint to first Oly... HALP!!!
Depends on your goals. If your example week is typical, then you could likely finish an oly no problem. If you'd like to finish in a time goal, A. you don't really have time to get much faster at a longer distance if you're talking about racing in a few weeks.

For the future, if you're wanting to continue racing well but at longer distances, more time on the bike.

FWIW, I have done a week to week training "plan" for years ....it's not a terrible method IF you have solid experience in training (I've been doing tri since 1999).

Good luck!
2014-09-14 1:14 PM
in reply to: rizztalah

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
If you like the boot camp...keep at it!
But, if you are doing it to supplement your Tri training, then it is working against you. It is limiting the long run 2 days later (and probably also the bike the day after). Therefore, 3 of your 6 workout days are compromised! Strength is not a factor until you've started to exhaust the gains made by swim/bike/running much more.
2014-09-15 1:18 PM
in reply to: Shop Cat

User image

Thank you!

Yeah, I think I need way more practice on my bike. How many miles a week should I be trying to get in for training, on the bike?

In your opinion, what would be a good, realistic time to shoot for, for the Olympic distance. If I could get in top 10 women, overall, I'd be stoked!! But maybe that's super unrealistic :/

Awhile ago I did the Folsom Sprint Triathlon and it had an unusually long bike (20 miles) and the run was only 3 miles... but I remember I wa sway underprepared for that bike and it killed my run.

Usually my run pace after the 12.5 sprint distance I can stay up to about 7:20 a mile for the 3 miles... but after doing 20 on the bike in Folsom my pace was like, 9:10. It was horrible. My legs were just cement.
2014-09-15 1:21 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Yeah, the bootcamp is bitter sweet.

It helps me looking like Bruce Lee... hahahaha and it does help with my cardio to some degree because our trainer will make us run LOADS of stairs holding weights...

but yeah, I feel like I'm stuck trying to just recover all weekend from the class. :/ Maybe I should stop it for now and then start it up during my "off" season??

Thanks for the advice! I seriously appreciate it.
2014-09-15 3:07 PM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by rizztalah

Happy Sunday, my sweet Trolls!

So, I know there's infinite training plans out there, but I am looking for real solid advice from my Tri peers. Also, because I don't really understand training plans on the web... :/

How much training should I be doing, making the jump from Sprint to Olympic?

This is my first year in Triathlon, I've completed 4 Sprints so far, podium in all, top 10 overall (age 25-29). I figured, why not end this year trying an Oly for my final race? Cuz I hate myself, clearly... Lol. No, honestly I wanna see what it's like.

I'm the crazy amateur that usually trains off of how I feel that day. I start every week thinking about what needs to be done for that week, but that's about it. My current schedule is:

Monday - off
Tuesday - 3-4 mile run at race pace
Wednesday - bike 12m/run off 1 mile
Wednesday (night) 1100 meter swim
Thursday - cross train, boot camp class
Friday - easy bike 10 miles
Sat- 5 mile easy run (I'm still insanely sore from weights on Thursday)
Sun - 1 mile swim

I've read a few articles but they contradict one another. Some say to train harder, others say to train farther... I figure I have to do both... But what is better if I have to pick one?

I am a mom of two boys... Age 2 & 4 so training is tough but I'm competitive and willing to put in the work. Also, how did you feel when you guys made your first jump to the next distance? So far, I'm feeling more unsure than excited :/

If I read this correctly your weekly totals are about
Run- 10 miles
Bike- 22 miles
Swim 1 1/2- 2 miles

If you have a swim background you can get by with much swimming.
If your winning your age group in sprints you can probably finish and Oly with what your doing, but you'll probably not enjoy it.
You should be doubling your run and bike volume from what you have listed.

2014-09-15 6:23 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

Last year, I started much the same way as you..3 sprints before a season ending Oly.  I wasn't nervous about the distances but I was nervous about the pacing I needed for all 3 to get the best result.  I was swimming about 3 times a week which included a 1.5 mile open water swim on the weekend.  I was cycling at least 2 times a week at about 40k per ride (fairly hard efforts).  I'd fit the running into the schedule depending on how the legs felt (I had a calf injury early last summer).  I ended up in the middle of the pack for my AG and the race.  What that told me (other than the obvious) was that I needed to up my workout consistency and volume.  I'm doing a better job of that this year and my race results are showing signs of improvement.

Based on your results you have some talent and potential.  I'm guessing you can complete the distance ok if you pace it correctly but you need to be strong in all three disiplines to podium.  Being a strong swimmer is an advantage at this distance because the swim is a bigger portion of the total race as compared to other tri distances.

With that said, I think you need to increase your swim and bike volume.  If you're an ex-high school or college swimmer you can get by with your swim volume but you're barely going over the swim distance in your longest workout (and you have those other 2 activities to take care of after your swim).  If you're worn out from the swim its going to affect your bike and run.  Try swimming 3+ times a week...warmup, main set of 1500-2000 meters, cool down.

You'll also be sitting in the saddle for 80 to 90+ minutes and it looks like you're only cycling about 1/2 that distance.  I'd recommend you ride the race distance at least once a week.  Being the competitive person you are, I don't see you soft-pedaling for 40k so you need to be hitting that training ride with some intensity.  You'll have to back off a bit on race day to save something for the run, but your training rides over the race distance will let you know how hard you can go and still run.

I'm guessing you're a strong runner based on your results so far.  You can get by with the amount of running you're doing now if you have time constraints but ideally, I'd want a 6-8 mile run on the weekend.

I'd forgo the boot camp class until after race season in order to get in another swim and/or bike ride.

2014-09-15 10:41 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Ok. I will start doubling those things. I need to. Ugh, this is starting to feel daunting. Hahaha.

Thanks for the advice! i didn't even think to actually add up all my work for the week like that, it really puts into perspective the hours... or lack there of!
2014-09-15 10:57 PM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Yeah, ugh... See, you might laugh but I am 100% self taught on the swim part. I can't afford a coach so I just watch Youtube videos and try to replicate what I have watched in the pool. Swimming has to be my least favorite of the 3 :/ But! My PR for the .5 mile swim at my last race was 12 minutes!! Granted, I was wearing a wet suit and we were swimming in the bay WITH the current.

I hardly bike. :/ It shows because my best time on the bike for the avg sprint was 37 minutes :/

I did track n field in highschool, I would say I love running the most. I definitely do it the most of the 3 things. That's how I've placed in all my races, honestly, because I end up catching most of the girls at the end of the run. Except for the insanely fast 16 year olds and that 1 seasoned 42 yr old lady (she's my hero.)

So right now my Sprint times have been:

Swim - 12:54 (.5 mile)
Bike - 37:52 (12.45 miles)
Run - 23:55 (3.1 miles -- they made us run up 3 flights of stairs and down, on a pedestrian bridge on mile 2 T_T )

I need to sit down and write out more volume. And I will cut out the bootcamp class for now... it's so fun though ^_^ but it flattens me for dayz after. I'm still not sure how I can fit in more swimming days. I only get Wednesday nights after work and Sundays... those are the only days I can coax the husband to watch the kids for me. Maybe I should focus on swimming farther on just the days that I have?

Do swimming with hand paddles help at all?
2014-09-16 8:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I think that swimming twice a week will get you through if you can increase your time/distance so you are doing at least 1500-2000(yards or meters) each time. You won't be fast but you will manage.

Seeing as you are a self taught swimming I would be very cautious with paddles. The reason for saying this is that if you have issues with your stoke then paddles can cause shoulder injuries which you don't want to put yourself through.
2014-09-16 9:18 AM

Coach are not the only solution when it comes to learning. Swimming being so technical, I would consider registering in a master swimmer's club, a triathlon club or maybe even swimming lessons. Usually, in clubs, they pay attention to the newbie, bringing corrections to their style. Swimming is so technical, if you learned by yourself, I would consider trying it.

2014-09-16 10:17 AM

User image

Franklin, TN

12.54 for a .5 mile swim is great!  That's 1:28 per 100 yards.  If you can maintain that for longer distances you'll do well.  Paddles will build power but like Stacey said, they can produce injuries if your stroke is off a bit.  Hard 25's, 50's and 100's (without paddles) build power and speed too.  If you do get paddles, get the smallest ones you can find.

Your cycling speed looks good too....like the swim, you just need to go longer.

Running...just try to stay consistent with getting some type of mileage in (preferably 4+ times a week).  Even a 20 minute run is beneficial.  Like the experts say, your running should be mostly easy, sometimes hard.  I like to do a fartlek run, a tempo run or 400 meter repeats for my "sometimes hard" run.  To me, your running speed looks good now but I bet you can get closer to 7:00/mile (in a sprint tri) just by being consistent in your training and adding a longer run on the weekend.

I'd try to bike as a substitute for the bootcamp class and swim on Friday instead of the easy cycle.  Ideally, you don't want to go more than 2 days between swims or you lose some feel for the water.  Tjfry (a swim expert on this forum) mentioned this and it holds true for me.

I don't know what to tell you about how to schedule the weekend.  Ideally, you'd want to get one of each discipline knocked out but you'll have to figure that out.  My weekends usually involve some combination of 2 of the 3 one day and the other discipline on the other day.  ie. an early morning bike or run and then swim in the afternoon or swim 1000-2000 then go for a run.  You'll have to decide what works best for you.

2014-09-16 9:58 PM

User image

Originally posted by rizztalah

Ok. I will start doubling those things. I need to. Ugh, this is starting to feel daunting. Hahaha.

You don't mean double right away, do you?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Made the jump from Sprint to first Oly... HALP!!! Rss Feed