Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-09-15 10:25 PM
in reply to: zedzded

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Subject: RE: Is it just me?

Took my first solid punch to the face in my race this weekend resulting in a split lip.  Swimming in the Pacific kelp with the seals and sea otters adding a few drops of blood to the water.  Figured I was one of many, so if there were any denizens of the deep looking for a quick meal, I was one of many.  The good news is that the cold Pacific water numbed it up right away and never even noticed it until after the race when my wife greeted me with "What happened to you?!"  Like it?  No, can't say I did, but it is part of the game when you slam a bunch of testosterone driven triathletes together in the water.

2014-09-16 12:18 PM
in reply to: cwpeters

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by cwpeters Anyone else enjoy the full contact swim at the beginning of the race? There are plenty of threads about fear and swimming, kayakers and swimming, pool vs. OWS, to flip turn or not, but there has to be a few others that actually look forward to the washing machine, full contact, survival of the fittest, sprint to the first buoy. Or is it just me?

I'm a strong swimmer and I hate it. I'm there to SWIM. I can't SWIM if people are in my way or hitting me. It's annoying and ridiculous. Not to mention I really don't like it when people hit/swim over/maul people on purpose. It can be avoided if someone chooses not to do it. 

2014-09-16 5:38 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Originally posted by RedCorvette

I really don't enjoy it. 

Mark

Good to know, I'll try to not swim over you next time we meet.
2014-09-16 7:49 PM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by KSH

Originally posted by cwpeters Anyone else enjoy the full contact swim at the beginning of the race? There are plenty of threads about fear and swimming, kayakers and swimming, pool vs. OWS, to flip turn or not, but there has to be a few others that actually look forward to the washing machine, full contact, survival of the fittest, sprint to the first buoy. Or is it just me?

I'm a strong swimmer and I hate it. I'm there to SWIM. I can't SWIM if people are in my way or hitting me. It's annoying and ridiculous. Not to mention I really don't like it when people hit/swim over/maul people on purpose. It can be avoided if someone chooses not to do it. 

x2.  I'm a strong swimmer too, and I don't like it either.  It's silly and irresponsible to consciously do anything other than SWIM the quickest swim that one's abilities allow.

2014-09-16 8:21 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

There's nothing to like.  It breaks rhythm, costs energy and risks significant injury.

I also despise breast strokers.  Which is ironic given how much I like stroking breasts.

2014-09-16 9:50 PM
in reply to: 0

Love it!

I played Water Polo in high school so I'm pretty good at navigating kicks and punches. As well, I'm good at maneuvering (cleanly) around other swimmers (I was a 2 meter defense player).

The fight adds to the adrenaline, but the experience I have helps me focus it. I completely get how people (even experienced racers) can get flustered in the first few minutes.

The past few times I have been a swim buddy (where it is still allowed), I have been helping not newbies, but racers who are still nervous about swimming in open water with that many people.

Bur for sure, love it love it love it!!

Edited by clumsyrunner14 2014-09-16 9:52 PM

2014-09-16 10:02 PM
in reply to: #5050356

User image

Extreme Veteran
I neither like nor dislike it. Sure I'd rather not get kicked, but at the swim start my main focus is on savoring the 30 seconds where I'm under the delusion that I'm keeping up with the FOP.

Like many of y'all, I give breadtstrokers a wide berth.
2014-09-17 6:30 AM
in reply to: cwpeters

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by cwpeters
Originally posted by RedCorvette

I really don't enjoy it. 

Mark

Good to know, I'll try to not swim over you next time we meet.

LOL.  Shouldn't be a problem.  Don't think I've ever been ahead of you in any of the races we've both done. 

Mark

2014-09-17 6:42 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
No, I don't like it but not particularly scared of it. I guess it comes from being on a large youth team with crowded lanes and generally being one of the smallest in my lane. Usually more worried about crashing on the bike. It does bother me that I waste time getting stuck and then going around people who start too fast, then slow down. I'm a strong distance swimmer but I don't start fast. I try to practice going out hard but the reality is other people still start faster than me and starting slow then gradually accelerating is just how my body works best. I've almost never been passed in the last third of a 1500m. Plus I am pretty massively outweighed by most guys in a co-ed start, so I can really get tossed around and thrown off my rhythm a bit. However, my only swim start related injuries have actually been in all women starts--I've been clawed deeply enough to draw blood two or three times, had my goggles pulled off, and gotten my wetsuit damaged, all by women with long nails!
2014-09-17 8:34 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pro

Love it! But I've been a swimmer my whole life, and I'm sort of agressive/competitive. It's fun!

Now, everyone passing me on the bike? Not as much fun

2014-09-17 8:43 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

Veteran
Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by Aarondb4

Etiquette varies depending on your position in the race.

If you are a FOP swimmer there aren't much for rules. As LB said, it is a race, swim as fast as you can as hard as you can and expect to get knocked around and do some knocking back.

For those of us in the MOP or BOP on the swim it is more of getting it done in a decent time or just surviving. There are still no "rules" but the following works well for me. If I touch feet in front of my that is my que to alter course and go around them. I will go to the side a bit and pass them. Once I am front of them I will go easy on the kicking for a bit until there is some space.

If I feel someone brush my feet with their hands I will reduce my kick or stop kicking to give them a chance to go to the side before they get kicked in the face. I do not alter course, if they want to go around me it is up to them to get it done. I do stop the kicking or slow it down just as a courtesy as I know I don't like getting kicked in the face, but I don't slow down or change course to "get out of the way". Worked well for me and the people around me in my IM swim and many seemed to do the same.

The one thing that does pi$$ me off in OWS is when some d-bag decides to breast stroke. Some "large" individual in my IM swim thought it would be cool to breast stroke/frog kick as he couldn't hack it. Caught my square in the chest as I come up beside him, never wanted to drown someone so much in my life. As I went by he kicked 3-4 other people as well. Total d1ck move. 

Sometimes breast stroke the only stroke people know how to do.  I give them credit for even tackling a tri when they can't swim freestyle.  Now, if they were FOP, that might be one thing, but as you said, for MOP/BOP folks, it's mostly just a matter of finishing.  If they have to breast stroke to do it, then so be it.  It's not like they're doing it just to intentionally kick people. 

Or maybe they could properly prepare for the sport they are attempting rather than putting the safety of others at risk?

or maybe you could learn to swim faster and closer to the buoys so you don't find yourself around people who have to breast stroke now and then. I am always BOP swimmer, I try to free style it the whole way, and in fact, in the pool, or in OWS where people aren't running me over, I never do breast stroke, but when some "douche bag" decides to swim over the top of me although I am pretty wide of the buoys and we are both clearly not going to win so he could have swam around me, I switch to breast stroke out of panic that some big, slow barge in swimming over the top of me.

2014-09-17 8:56 AM
in reply to: sheesleeva

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
I don't like... but don't mind it either.

What I do think is kind of fun is rough conditions (swells, whitecaps, waves, etc).
I'm very comfortable in the water.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is it just me? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

I am a beginner and I am scared, but hopeful

Started by trisome
Views: 3066 Posts: 15

2013-08-07 7:47 AM Sidney Porter

Birth day Celebration? I hope I am that lucky when I am 90

Started by MrSolis
Views: 1462 Posts: 4

2009-01-03 4:25 PM MrSolis

trying to determine where I am, and where I am headed...

Started by lordkovacs
Views: 1500 Posts: 3

2008-08-08 9:12 AM lordkovacs

Am I stupid? Yes, I am.

Started by triguyfitz
Views: 1562 Posts: 5

2007-08-21 12:47 AM mm5093

First ever event - half iron man - I am am now a triathlete.

Started by sally888
Views: 1765 Posts: 14

2004-10-12 5:12 AM La Rakusillian
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.