General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I do not take advantage of strong runs... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-15 12:43 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: I do not take advantage of strong runs...

here is what I mean by this. It seems that for some reason, after I have a great run (meaning a good pace, felt strong) I usually stumble on my training plan and diet afterwards. I can never seem to capitalize on that run. Usually I will have some reason to miss the next run or I will eat whatever I want following it instead of building on that progress. I really feel like it is one step forward, two steps back.

I know it is up to me and that there is no magical solution except to man up, but I wondered if anyone else has this type of roller coaster training like me?

2014-09-15 1:21 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Hereford, England
Subject: RE: I do not take advantage of strong runs...
Is it weight loss you are looking for? If so, a calorie count app/website may work?

I've used caloriecount.about.com before and it worked really for me. As you log all your food and all your exercise. I lost 10kg and down to 8.5% body fat in two months.

It may work at keeping you focused.
2014-09-15 1:44 PM
in reply to: Eucid

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by Eucid Is it weight loss you are looking for? If so, a calorie count app/website may work? I've used caloriecount.about.com before and it worked really for me. As you log all your food and all your exercise. I lost 10kg and down to 8.5% body fat in two months. It may work at keeping you focused.

Not really weight loss, just using that good run progress to feed my next run!  It's kinda like I see improvement and then instead of using it to help me on the next one, I seem to take it easy

2014-09-15 1:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Not sure exactly what you mean so apologies if I'm off base. I'm not sure that the idea of capitalizing on a single run has much meaning. Of course some runs will feel better than others but it may be a mistake to read too much into this. Expecting every run to feel great or to be better & faster than previous runs can be a vicious cycle. Establishing a plan or habit over the longer term is much more important. Maybe the best way for you to capitalize is to find ways to make running more fun or to ensure that you feel fresh enough that you are ready for the next one.
2014-09-15 2:20 PM
in reply to: donw

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by donw Not sure exactly what you mean so apologies if I'm off base. I'm not sure that the idea of capitalizing on a single run has much meaning. Of course some runs will feel better than others but it may be a mistake to read too much into this. Expecting every run to feel great or to be better & faster than previous runs can be a vicious cycle. Establishing a plan or habit over the longer term is much more important. Maybe the best way for you to capitalize is to find ways to make running more fun or to ensure that you feel fresh enough that you are ready for the next one.

that might be what I am doing. Not all my runs are for the same purpose of course, my long runs are slower than short runs, but there is a mid week run that just always comes together and I feel like the speed is back where I want it, but then, I seem to find reason to skip my Thursday run. I know I am explaining this horribly, but I want to be able to have a good run (feel strong and fast) and then put it behind me and focus on the next training run instead of thinking, "well I had a good run, maybe I am doing better than I thought" and totally getting away from my training plan.

2014-09-15 7:12 PM

User image

I think the key is to not microanalyze each run or try to make fitness conclusions from a single run. Remember it's your consistency and overall training from week to week and month to month that really makes a difference.

It's also possible that your "strong runs" are at a harder and faster pace so you do need recovery before going strong and hard again. That doesn't mean skip a training run, but it's ok to go easier on the next one.

2014-09-15 9:59 PM

Master
Northern IL

With some of the others. Sounds like too much thinking about every single run and possibly not understanding the differences between runs. On the runs I pay more attention to for progress, I'll actually use several of them to pick up a trend. Also, surrounding them tends to be easier running. Both shorter and easy effort, not just less than that day. I try to watch how much and how hard I'm going on those harder runs too so that I can keep getting in solid workouts as I intend to. Happens more in bike workouts, but when I do too much I tend to skip like you mentioned doing.

Also, noticed that your long runs are slower than your short runs. Are you sure you're doing these runs easy enough and appropriately? My shortest ones tend to be the slowest ones. These tend to be only for a good warm-up and just a little run conditioning, so there is little time (if any) at my normal easy pace running. It's mostly slower. The middle distance runs can be all over the place depending on if it's just more easier running or if there is faster paced work in there. The former will end up being about the same as the longer runs as it's not a race. Just more work at the appropriate intensity for what I want to do. The latter will depend the specifics of the run. And I don't really care about the overall even though it's likely to be faster than the others. Just what goes on in the main set of the run. Everything else is getting ready for it or coming back down from it.

2014-09-16 12:30 AM
in reply to: #5050389

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
With regards to the eating indulgences after a solid long run, you're not the only one. But as you pointed out it's up to is to make those calls. I seem to always find some excuse to eat more than I should. One thing I know will help is using a calorie counter. It's simple but does the trick for me. Now ask me if I'm using it right now good luck!
2014-09-17 10:36 AM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
I get what your saying.

Oh I just ran 10 miles, now I can eat buffet.

Ohh I just ran 10 miles and feel really awesome, I finally gaining after I thought I wasn't. ---- Takes next week off, or can't get out the door for that next run for a week or whatever, because Hey, I'm doing awesome, but there it just went out the door.

I haven't found the solution myself. I went from sitting on the coach, not eating out much and usually sitting in the 210 lbs range, much of which was fat, to 4 years later, 3 IM's down, another to go in Nov. Who knows how many local races, and .............................. wait for it....................... I still weigh the same and similiar body fat.

I will say I can swim-bike-run much faster when I started, and that's the main thing. But I also wanted to lose 30-40 lbs and the lowest I have been was about 197.

It's like every work out is my excuse to drink pop and eat oreo's all day, which I didn't use to do, well at least not as much as now.

I know what I have to do/eat. But for some reason with this particular thing, I haven't found the switch in my brain for that.
2014-09-17 11:10 AM
in reply to: cstoulil

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by cstoulil I get what your saying. Oh I just ran 10 miles, now I can eat buffet. Ohh I just ran 10 miles and feel really awesome, I finally gaining after I thought I wasn't. ---- Takes next week off, or can't get out the door for that next run for a week or whatever, because Hey, I'm doing awesome, but there it just went out the door. I haven't found the solution myself. I went from sitting on the coach, not eating out much and usually sitting in the 210 lbs range, much of which was fat, to 4 years later, 3 IM's down, another to go in Nov. Who knows how many local races, and .............................. wait for it....................... I still weigh the same and similiar body fat. I will say I can swim-bike-run much faster when I started, and that's the main thing. But I also wanted to lose 30-40 lbs and the lowest I have been was about 197. It's like every work out is my excuse to drink pop and eat oreo's all day, which I didn't use to do, well at least not as much as now. I know what I have to do/eat. But for some reason with this particular thing, I haven't found the switch in my brain for that.

Yes, that is exactly what I mean, but obviously could not make it clear!  Glad to see I am not the only one!

2014-09-17 1:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Calgary
I think this describes what you're talking about...

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/to-lose-weight-through-runn...

I don't think of my activity in terms of how many calories I'm burning or how much license it gives me to indulge afterwards. I like my sports for their own sake. Unfortunately I don't know how to help someone else achieve this. I think most people can play baseball, or hockey or tennis just for fun but many people find it harder to carry this over into training and endurance sports.

In fact I think one of the problems with the way that physical activity is promoted these days is the language that we use. Even with children we use terms like exercise and physcial activity. We count the minutes and calories and document the level of exertion. People (myself included) can only do so much when they rely on willpower alone. If we do anything only out of a sense of obligation most of us will eventually fail. I'd rather tell children to play games and have fun. Competition. can also be a strong motivator. Tap into your inner competitive jerk. Make it a goal to crush your buddy the next time you run or race together.

Edited by donw 2014-09-17 1:22 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I do not take advantage of strong runs... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Took advantage of 20% off Thule

Started by firemedic001918
Views: 509 Posts: 1

2012-05-29 12:41 PM firemedic001918

Active Advantage taking advantage- watch your bank account

Started by gluestick
Views: 6545 Posts: 17

2011-06-30 7:33 PM pschriver

Not taking advantage of aero Pages: 1 2

Started by cstoulil
Views: 2483 Posts: 45