East Texas Triathletes
63F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 31m 24s
Overall Rank = 107/?
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/13
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:30am and made my breakfast shake to bring with me on the drive. Dressed, grabbed a couple bottles of water and hit the road. As soon as I walked out the door, I was wishing for more clothing. It was low 60s and misting. All I had brought with me was my tri kit, dry shorts and shirt to change into after the race. No jacket or pants as it was supposed to be in the 70s. Big mistake there. Finished my shake and started on my first bottle of water. Made it to the race site and was cold. Set up my gear at transition and met up with some friends from work. Stood around shivering waiting for race time to get closer.
Event warmup:

Light jog, arm swings. Spent most of my time jumping in place and shivering trying to stay warm.
Swim
  • 19m 18s
  • 650 meters
  • 02m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a terrible swim. With the wind, the chop was coming in on our right side. I haven't been able to learn bilateral breathing, so I kept taking face and mouth full of water. Ended up switching to some breast stroke to breathe and changed back to freestyle when turned the second buoy.
What would you do differently?:

learn bilateral breathing
Transition 1
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

The swim exit was at a back in style boat launch. When my fingers hit bottom, I went to stand up and scraped my right knee on the concrete ramp. Not bad but did steal my attention for a minute. With the warm water temps, not wetsuit legal so didn't have to worry about removal. Pulled my swim cap and goggles off as I was running into transition. Short run into transition. Had everything set up and went smoothly. I forgot to set out my sunglasses but this wasn't a big deal as it was very overcast and I didn't miss them.

nothing. went well
Bike
  • 41m 44s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.25 mile/hr
Comments:

This was an ok bike for me. The advertised distance was 14.1mi but after the race, we were told that it was 12 miles (this was a new location for this years race and was shortened a bit). With the wet roads, I locked up my rear brakes once....scared the cr*p out of me. Managed to not hit pavement and made the turn. Settled down and tried to keep my cadence over 85. Didn't quite hit it but was close and higher than I've been managing in training, so pleased with that. Took a GU about mile 10. Had planned in taking another but with the shortened course, didn't manage this.

Focus on higher cadence and not lock up my rear brakes. Over all pleased with this ride.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

Went well. Did not take my feet out of my shoes early and ride on top. With the wet roads, I decided to stay conservative as I wasn't going to place and just wanted to be safe. Unclipped and ran to my transition spot with my bike shoes on. Pulled them off and slipped into my Zoots.

If the conditions were better, consider pulling feet out of shoes and ride on top. Have not even tried jumping off moving bike and don't plan to. I'm not going to place and don't want to risk myself or my bike by trying this.
Run
  • 28m 28s
  • 3.27 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Once I loosened up, I felt pretty good. Had enough energy and nutrition/hydration was spot on. Took a while to loosen up though as my legs (and arms/hands) were stiff due to the chilly temps coming off the bike. Felt good about 2 miles in and kicked it into the finish.

Try to loosen up faster, but not sure how to manage that other than higher cadence on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to my car and changed into dry clothes. Wished for a jacket or a pair of pants. Didn't stick around post-race too long as I had family plans later in the day and needed to get home. Love heated seats and steering wheel. It wasn't "cold' out but being wet all morning had me shivering once I finished.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bilateral breathing on the swim. Otherwise was pleased with the race.

Event comments:

Would do this race again.

Last updated: 2014-09-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:18 | 650 meters | 02m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/?
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: This was a counterclockwise triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:05
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:44 | 12 miles | 17.25 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: This was an out and back course with plenty of turns and wet roads (at least the misting rain stopped before the race).
Road: Potholes Wet Cadence: 83
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:28 | 03.27 miles | 08m 43s  min/mile
Course: Once again, this was an out and back course with plenty of small turns on cul-de-sacs. The run was longer than advertised and this was corrected on the official results. Few very short rolling hills. Nothing major here. Cool air temps made for stiffness coming off the bike. Took a mile to a mile and a half to loosen up my legs. Finally got moving about 2 miles into the race and kicked it into the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes