Other Resources The Political Joe » Public Education - Mainstreaming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-15 3:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Public Education - Mainstreaming
I'm curious as to what others have experienced with children with various special needs being mainstreamed (put into normal classes). I understand how this can be quite beneficial for those with special needs, but how does it impact the rest of the class. My children are in 3rd grade and below, so I'm pretty new the current state of public education. I just find it surprising that children with some pretty significant learning or behavioral issues don't have a serious negative impact on the other students. Obviously there are benefits to the children in learning that people can be different and can still be good people, but does that outweigh the interruptions, extra time required to review, etc.?

As far as I know there has never been any real issues with this situation for my 3 boys that are in school, and I've only heard second hand of real issues. I'm mainly curious as to how this affects our society as a whole. At the end of the day one of the main reasons we fund public education is so that our society will have educated/skilled citizens. When our kids are adults they'll be in a much more competitive environment, so I'd think we'd be hypersensitive to anything that impacts their education negatively.

2014-09-15 6:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Public Education - Mainstreaming

Having watched my 5 kids make their way through the public school system I'd say it's what you make of it as a family....and we have had very few bad experiences.  My two oldest both have college degrees, my 16 year old is being recruited for college already, my twin daughters have just entered their freshman year of high school.  I know their are kids in their school who have been "mainstreamed" from the special school district, but I don't ever hear my kids talk about them in any other way then they do every other kid, so I guess I'd say it's not an issue.  They have gay friends, black friends, Bosnian friends, Indian friends, Asian friends, and friends who have a disability of some kind or another......my kids won't even participate in a discussion about kids that are different then they are.....they just don't see it as anything worth discussing. They are not alone...I find their friends to be the same.  If that's part of what "mainstreaming" has done....give us more! 

Edited by Left Brain 2014-09-15 6:15 PM
2014-09-16 1:40 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Left Brain

Having watched my 5 kids make their way through the public school system I'd say it's what you make of it as a family....and we have had very few bad experiences.  My two oldest both have college degrees, my 16 year old is being recruited for college already, my twin daughters have just entered their freshman year of high school.  I know their are kids in their school who have been "mainstreamed" from the special school district, but I don't ever hear my kids talk about them in any other way then they do every other kid, so I guess I'd say it's not an issue.  They have gay friends, black friends, Bosnian friends, Indian friends, Asian friends, and friends who have a disability of some kind or another......my kids won't even participate in a discussion about kids that are different then they are.....they just don't see it as anything worth discussing. They are not alone...I find their friends to be the same.  If that's part of what "mainstreaming" has done....give us more! 

LB I really appreciate your reply . You gain more respect from me again. I have seen mainstreaming of special needs kids even in private school. I dont really see anything or negatively affecting the regular kids. If its helping the less fortunate developmentally challenged kids why not if its not hindering the progress of the regular kds. In our public school system they are placed in the class where they are close to the same mental level of understanding mostly significantly younger than their age and its not all the time only for a few hours just to let the special needs student know they can blend with the community.

Edited by strykergt 2014-09-16 1:41 AM
2014-09-16 11:47 AM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
15 yrs as a Middle School teacher (NYC public)
You'd be surprised, these kids will be mean and nasty to others in level mainstream, but all of a sudden kind and considerate to those with special needs.
The only potential issue is if some with serious needs that require extra time & attention don't receive it because of larger mainstream class sizes that make fulfilling that need difficult or occasionally impossible. Otherwise, I push and encourage them to handle the same workload in the gym setting and they thrive off of it with no negative impact on the "mainstream" crowd

Edited by TJHammer 2014-09-16 11:48 AM
2014-09-16 11:54 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by TJHammer 15 yrs as a Middle School teacher (NYC public) You'd be surprised, these kids will be mean and nasty to others in level mainstream, but all of a sudden kind and considerate to those with special needs. The only potential issue is if some with serious needs that require extra time & attention don't receive it because of larger mainstream class sizes that make fulfilling that need difficult or occasionally impossible. Otherwise, I push and encourage them to handle the same workload in the gym setting and they thrive off of it with no negative impact on the "mainstream" crowd

I don't know how you teach middle school......that has to be the worst time, behaviorally, in a human being's development.  I think children should be sent to concentration camps from 11-14....and then returned to their normally scheduled lives on their 15th b-day.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-09-16 11:55 AM
2014-09-16 2:37 PM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Extreme Veteran
From the teachers I know, it appears they spend much more time directed at those with special needs that have negative impacts to learning compared to those who have special needs because they learn at a much quicker pace than the average. I wonder if it is possible to quantify the amount of public education money spent on those at the bottom 2% and those at the top 2%.

When I was in school kids were separated by their ability in the various subjects starting in first grade. I've been told that is no longer common. My oldest is well above average, where as his younger brothers take more time to get to the same level. I can't imagine trying to come up with a lesson plan that would work well for both of ends the spectrum just in my house. Add in anyone with special needs and I'd think you pretty much have to teach two classes. I wouldn't think that would be good for anyone.

2014-09-16 6:46 PM

User image

Pro

gove them

Originally posted by jmcconne From the teachers I know, it appears they spend much more time directed at those with special needs that have negative impacts to learning compared to those who have special needs because they learn at a much quicker pace than the average. I wonder if it is possible to quantify the amount of public education money spent on those at the bottom 2% and those at the top 2%. When I was in school kids were separated by their ability in the various subjects starting in first grade. I've been told that is no longer common. My oldest is well above average, where as his younger brothers take more time to get to the same level. I can't imagine trying to come up with a lesson plan that would work well for both of ends the spectrum just in my house. Add in anyone with special needs and I'd think you pretty much have to teach two classes. I wouldn't think that would be good for anyone.

I don't know....in our public school there are honors classes, college prep classes, etc.  On the other end are the kids who don't do as well in school but still get by well enough to make it to college and stay in the median classes, or sometimes remedial classes.....I've got some of each with my kids.  There is plenty for everyone if they get involved in the system and use what works best for them.  We have learned to look at the overall programs and not worry too much about individual teacher's opinions on how it all works.  Teachers are like the rest of us..... some complain, some excel, some just get by, some hate their jobs, some love their jobs, blah,blah..  In the end, you and your kids are responsible for your kid's education IMO.  Explore what's available, take advantage of your kid's strengths, walk them through their weaknesses, and carry on.

The best advice I was ever given with regard to raising kids was to "give them full credit for their successes, and make them take full responsibility for their failures".....I have found that helpful in any endeavor they undertake.....how it all works is just noise, and the part we're responsible for as parents.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-09-16 7:10 PM
2014-09-18 8:51 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I'm not sure if it qualifies as main streaming, but in my kids' school they would have special needs kids assigned to their class in elementary and they would spend a significant amount of time with the kids.  They weren't there 100% of the time and did still have their regular special needs classes, but the policy encouraged integrating them as much as possible with regular classes.

I honestly think it was an incredible experience for my kids and their classmates because it enabled them to get to know these otherwise "isolated" kids and bond with them.  Special needs kids can be a little intimidating to kids because they're "different", but when the kids get to know them it breaks down walls that don't need to be there.

I remember when our oldest was in 2nd or 3rd grade he gave us a list of all the kids that he wanted to invite to his birthday party.  One of the kids that showed up had pretty severe down's syndrome and my wife and I were kind of surprised.  His mom stayed for the party and we talked to her quite a bit.  She was so excited because her son had been getting invited to parties and really felt like he was a part of the class.  It was amazing watching those little kids playing with him and making sure he was involved in everything.

So, to the OP I would say there are a couple of different points of view.  There is the aspect of a special needs kid distracting from the other kids impacting their education, but there's also the aspect of a special needs kid molding the kids into caring compassionate human beings.  The other side of it is the special needs kids themselves and their families.  It's amazing how therapeutic being involved with regular activities can be.

2014-09-18 5:55 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by tuwood

I'm not sure if it qualifies as main streaming, but in my kids' school they would have special needs kids assigned to their class in elementary and they would spend a significant amount of time with the kids.  They weren't there 100% of the time and did still have their regular special needs classes, but the policy encouraged integrating them as much as possible with regular classes.

I honestly think it was an incredible experience for my kids and their classmates because it enabled them to get to know these otherwise "isolated" kids and bond with them.  Special needs kids can be a little intimidating to kids because they're "different", but when the kids get to know them it breaks down walls that don't need to be there.

I remember when our oldest was in 2nd or 3rd grade he gave us a list of all the kids that he wanted to invite to his birthday party.  One of the kids that showed up had pretty severe down's syndrome and my wife and I were kind of surprised.  His mom stayed for the party and we talked to her quite a bit.  She was so excited because her son had been getting invited to parties and really felt like he was a part of the class.  It was amazing watching those little kids playing with him and making sure he was involved in everything.

So, to the OP I would say there are a couple of different points of view.  There is the aspect of a special needs kid distracting from the other kids impacting their education, but there's also the aspect of a special needs kid molding the kids into caring compassionate human beings.  The other side of it is the special needs kids themselves and their families.  It's amazing how therapeutic being involved with regular activities can be.

Well said Tony
2014-09-19 12:02 PM
in reply to: tuwood

Veteran
Originally posted by tuwood

I should quote you and LB both. It's only a problem if the parent of the "normal" makes it a problem. The behavior problems teachers have to deal with are almost always from the "normal" kids. My sister is special needs. I don't like mainstreaming for her for the learning aspect because she isn't learning a lot sitting through a science class, BUT in her special needs class they spent five YEARS trying to teach her how to write her name. What a complete waste of her time in those special needs classes where they worked on that - She never got beyond writing the first letter of her first name. (finally a teacher decided to buy her a stamper and teach her to stamp her name instead - she mastered that in a week). so she really didn't lose out from an academic perspective when being mainstreamed. From a social perspective, mainstreaming was the best thing that could have happened to her. she is not motivated by grades, money, fame, social media - she is motivated by social interaction. What a wonderful gift to her to let her have social interaction with the other kids at the school.

Even more important, the kids in the class room were exposed to special needs kids and learned they weren't monsters kept locked in a room down the hall. they are kids that aren't judging you and were so happy with someone simply saying hello - those are lessons "normal" kids should alI learn, that it doesn't matter what phone you have, how many likes you have on FB, how many snap chats, how good are you at sports, what clothes are you wearing - just being a nice person that takes the time to say hello = acceptance. Your kid may being having a bad day, but they always know there is one kid in the class that will like them just for being nothing but nice. To the OP, what you really need to ask yourself is not how are kids being put upon by having to endure mainstreaming, rather, what social lessons are your kids missing out on if there isn't mainstreaming. It doesn't hurt that the parents of these kids find joy in their kids being mainstreamed and accepted too.
2014-09-19 9:52 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by Left Brain

/QUOTE]

I don't know how you teach middle school......that has to be the worst time, behaviorally, in a human being's development.  I think children should be sent to concentration camps from 11-14....and then returned to their normally scheduled lives on their 15th b-day.

To say it's a roller coaster is an understatement, but there are many who could use a year or so in military school. Media & tech of today have really made these kids manic!

Sheesleeva, that was wonderfully said by the way

Edited by TJHammer 2014-09-19 9:53 PM

2014-09-22 12:39 PM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sounds like you all have had positive experiences, so hopefully my kids will as well. I definitely see the benefit in the kids getting to know all different types of people.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Public Education - Mainstreaming Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Public service announcement... Pages: 1 2

Started by Left Brain
Views: 2999 Posts: 34

2014-05-20 9:48 AM Goosedog

Education jobs vs enrollment

Started by JoshR
Views: 1193 Posts: 11

2014-01-30 10:24 PM tuwood

Public Employee Pensions

Started by JoshR
Views: 2389 Posts: 23

2013-12-30 2:22 PM crusevegas

'Create education better' to solve income inequality: Miss Utah Pages: 1 2

Started by TheCrownsOwn
Views: 3059 Posts: 27

2013-06-21 2:28 PM switch
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 12, 2004
author : CLLinIA
comments : 1
What you can do to clean up your local swimming hole and keep it clean!