Subject: RE: Distance Accuracy in Races

2014-09-18 7:23 AM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Originally posted by trijamie

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by trijamie

lets hope they anchor the buoys well. I did a race once where the turn buoy floated away, and we just turned whenever someone in a boat started shouting at us. How's that for accurate

That happened in one of my races as well, but the bouey didn't come un-anchored until half way through the wave starts. So the earlier waves swam a much shorter distance than the later waves. For people who preach "we all do the same distance on race day, who cares" - that line doesn't always apply.

Yep, same here. It didn't float away until half way through the swim. It was my first half IM, and my goal was just to finish so I wasn't too too pissed off about whatever the discrepancy in the swim distance was, but if I was more competitive about that race, I'm sure I would have had a different attitude about it.

I did a race where the start of the first wave had smooth water, but a storm moved through by the time my wave started half an hour later. We had high winds, rain, choppy conditions, and dropping temperatures to deal with. Things happen.
2014-09-18 7:28 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by dmiller5

interesting somewhat related article

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/bodywork/the-fit-list/Why-American-Endurance-Athletes-Suck.html

X

Yes it is. Last 3 races I've done haven't quite been standard anything, but were awesome.

2014-09-18 7:30 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Katy, Texas

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/bodywork/the-fit-list/Why-American-Endurance-Athletes-Suck.html

X

Good article and good points, however, for me, if I don't have numbers and specific goals, I lose interest. Every year I lead a company team on a Ragnar Relay race. For that, it's all about the experience. I have little idea what my distances will be and couldn't tell you what my times were. I dress up like an idiot and even named our team "The Turd Herders" since I work for a company that manufactures water and wastewater treatment equipment. That one is all about the fun and experience and I love it for that. However, if that's all I did, I'd be really bored. I freaking LOVE numbers and I am the typical Type-A, results driven person. If it wasn't for the incremental results, the planning, the tracking, etc, I just wouldn't be interested and would move to another hobby that would give me those type of "thrills". I'd spend more time on the piano, or learning foreign languages, or some other hobby where my analytical mind could stretch it's legs. It' just what makes me happy. Not right or wrong.
2014-09-18 7:53 AM
in reply to: 3mar

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by 3mar

X

Good article and good points, however, for me, if I don't have numbers and specific goals, I lose interest. Every year I lead a company team on a Ragnar Relay race. For that, it's all about the experience. I have little idea what my distances will be and couldn't tell you what my times were. I dress up like an idiot and even named our team "The Turd Herders" since I work for a company that manufactures water and wastewater treatment equipment. That one is all about the fun and experience and I love it for that. However, if that's all I did, I'd be really bored. I freaking LOVE numbers and I am the typical Type-A, results driven person. If it wasn't for the incremental results, the planning, the tracking, etc, I just wouldn't be interested and would move to another hobby that would give me those type of "thrills". I'd spend more time on the piano, or learning foreign languages, or some other hobby where my analytical mind could stretch it's legs. It' just what makes me happy. Not right or wrong.

Hope you've seen that you're not the only numbers person on here, or the only engineer. Courses being a few tenths off is not really going to make a noticeable difference in the effort you put out. You can readjust the challenge from being such specific preset distances into learning a more broad curve you can operate at. I still study the courses more than most (all of them) and come up with some pacing targets that seem reasonable. Then go execute. Part of the fun is that there is an art application to the sciences. I have a reasonable idea of the power I can hold for the 30-some minutes of the sprints, but I also need to figure out how to apply it best out on the course as the ones I choose tend to have more terrain involved. Meaning a number of hills & turns to negotiate. It's not just a constant output the entire time. Running doesn't have power, but there is still effort level involved, and how to best spend that effort on a more or less hilly course. There is plenty of science involved, but it's not *only* science that's going on.

2014-09-18 4:18 PM
in reply to: taylorz13

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Originally posted by taylorz13 I got over it really fast in my first marathon, when at "26.2" gps distance, I still had about .8 of a mile to go. The course could be 100% certified accurate, but we don't run perfect tangents. You run further. If I ran the Boston Marathon course tomorrow I'd probably run 27 miles. Not a big deal.

Wait a minute.  I have a marathon in 31 days and the program I'm on talks nothing about this extra .8 miles.  What am I supposed to do?

:-)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Distance Accuracy in Races Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Full Distance/Iron Distance Race for Fall of 2012

Started by Mizzou03
Views: 2121 Posts: 12

2011-08-25 6:16 PM enginerd

Racing shorter distance 9 weeks before goal race ?

Started by sozzie
Views: 680 Posts: 5

2010-10-30 10:27 AM natethomas2000

2008 Races - Take Two - Distance Vs. Race Mix

Started by Spokes
Views: 1080 Posts: 12

2007-12-20 3:41 PM HCS5QA

Swim course distance accuracy - How hard is it??

Started by famelec
Views: 939 Posts: 11

2007-08-29 5:14 PM famelec

Choosing a Race-Pace for a Distance You Never Raced Pages: 1 2

Started by GolfMark
Views: 1641 Posts: 32

2006-11-22 9:06 PM GolfMark
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : August 7, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 3
After your first triathlon, how many days off should you take to rest? How should you start your training again?

date : March 9, 2007
author : mikericci
Nutrition and pacing strategies for the beginner and intermediate sprint racers
date : April 3, 2006
author : gsmacleod
A three month program designed to help beginning swimmers improve technique for a sprint distance race.

date : March 5, 2006
author : gsmacleod
comments : 5
A three month program designed to help beginning swimmers improve technique for a sprint distance race.
date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who has been following the progression of the Half Iron Distance program and is 12 weeks out from their first Iron distance race.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.