General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Realistic swim split expectations at IMFL Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-17 3:03 PM

User image

Subject: Realistic swim split expectations at IMFL
I have done loads of open water swims, even in races, but this is my first ocean swim AND my first full IM distance. I am trying to figure out what my "goals" are for this race and having a tough time figuring out what I should expect from the swim. I will probably hold back a minute or so to let all the super fast swimmers go ahead at the start. I have been swimming my 3000 meters in around 55 minutes and my 3500 in about 1:06. I have only done 2 4000 meters swims during training but will do a few more. At this point I am guessing in the pool that will take me about 1:15/1:16 give or take. My HIM swims have been between 39-41 minutes for 1.2 miles in area lakes.

I know things are completely different in the ocean, but wondering what you found with your swim times if you have done this race or another in the ocean before? Is 1:30 a realistic goal or should I plan for 1:40/1:45?

Just trying to wrap my head around it so I can judge what I may feel like on the bike after exiting the water. Thanks!

2014-09-17 4:02 PM
in reply to: midwesttrimom

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Realistic swim split expectations at IMFL

In your situation, I wouldn't have a goal at all. Just be ready to swim somewhere in the range of an hour and a half from what you've said. Don't really see any reason to have this be a goal, more ways for it to get in the way than help you out. Just having a rough expectation will be nice and could help some in figuring out things for the day.

2014-09-18 8:57 AM
in reply to: brigby1

Originally posted by brigby1

In your situation, I wouldn't have a goal at all. Just be ready to swim somewhere in the range of an hour and a half from what you've said. Don't really see any reason to have this be a goal, more ways for it to get in the way than help you out. Just having a rough expectation will be nice and could help some in figuring out things for the day.

I agree - skip the 'hard' goal and just go out and swim. You don't know how conditions will be on race morning (it might be very still or could be choppy), and that will impact your time. Also, you swim with the tides on the way back in, so that will help propel you along - and needless to say, you can't mimic that in a pool or lake. IMFL is a big field, and there will be contact. So long story short, get in there and do you best - there are a bunch variables and since this is your first IM, and first ocean 2.4 mile swim for that matter, don't get too hung up on hard goals But if you want a decent rule of thumb to judge how you do, then perhaps use 90 minutes. Having said this, as long as you make the cutoff and finish before midnight, that's all that really counts.

good luck.
2014-09-18 12:03 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
Extract what you want from this info...

I have done IMFL 3X and my time for them have all been around 1:07-1:10 (that is my clock time, not my 100 average split time)...

In a pool, my average speed / split for 100m was 1:40 when training. So I would say I averaged about 10 sec slower per 100m in IMFL...if my math is somewhat correct.

2014-09-28 4:52 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina

The problem with Florida is that the swim conditions are so unpredictable.  You may get smooth as glass, or you may get 3 foot swells.  The mass start seems to create a washing machine effect there that is an advantage, at least for the first loop.

You'll want to consider your second loop entry.  If you get back in too soon, you may find yourself swimming more diagonally heading back out which could be either an advantage or disadvantage depending on the direction of the current.  Alternately, you could run farther up the beach before getting in for your second loop.  You may want to view a few YouTube videos of the IMFL to get a visual of it.

The year I did it, the ocean was inundated with pink meanie jellyfish!  They were so thick, it was difficult to avoid them.  So you may want to invest in some Sea Safe Jellyfish sting protection lotion and keep a spay bottle of vinegar in T1 in case of a sting.  I also had a teammate spot some sharks below.  They were Nurse Sharks and nothing to worry about, just keep swimming.

2014-09-28 6:12 PM
in reply to: Maria527

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

They don't allow you to run further up the beach anymore. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Realistic swim split expectations at IMFL Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How much swimming improvement is realistic?

Started by wanderwoman11
Views: 5813 Posts: 9

2013-01-23 2:18 AM Maxwelltri

IMFL - any update on woman rescued from swim?

Started by craignmcd
Views: 1198 Posts: 9

2007-11-09 9:42 AM brian

Another IMFL swim thread

Started by bostic
Views: 1372 Posts: 15

2007-11-02 3:02 PM Daremo

IMFL SWIM VETERANS

Started by rpm1418
Views: 1796 Posts: 20

2007-10-27 5:56 PM runnergirl

IMFL Swim

Started by zia_cyclist
Views: 1178 Posts: 10

2006-11-27 7:05 PM jeremy_424
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : March 17, 2008
Most coaches will agree that negative splitting is the way to go, ideally, to reach a personal best. But does the strategy really work for all?
date : February 12, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Negative splitting is a learned skill, and can be a valuable tool to use in virtually any race situation. Employing Negative Split workouts in your training can improve your racing.