Belleville, Wisconsin
United States
Race Day Events
Total Time = 1h 08m 13s
Overall Rank = 10/269
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/14
Pre-race routine:

Family event as brother, sister, her husband and a friend of hers all raced. First time for the last two.
Event warmup:

Short test of the bike, a little running, and some swimming. Passed on using a wetsuit. Water was high 70's and it's only 400m. I hadn't been liking the wetsuit all year either. Race was mostly for the camaraderie and getting used to the new bike.

Good fog over the area they waited a few extra minutes for.
Swim
  • 07m 24s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

The new racers were nervous, but in the warm-up I found the lake was only waist deep at the turn buoy, and that was as far out as it got. Start was mixed with the Elite wave, plus clydes & athenas. Can work ok, but start is more interesting as some of the clydes were obviously not out of shape swimmers and didn't know how to seed themselves. Worked out by the buoy.

Swam ok, but felt a little slow. Did enjoy being out there more than I have in other races. Could actually feel the water and what I was doing again. No idea on placing and just hoped I came out ahead of my wetsuit wearing brother.
Transition 1
  • 03m 24s
Comments:

Horrendously slow because an earplug was stuck. Took the time to get it out as I didn't want to see it get worse. Race really didn't matter anyway. Brother took a sec to look and couldn't get it either. All the sudden it came and finished up here.
Bike
  • 34m 4s
  • 14 miles
  • 24.66 mile/hr
Comments:

Got out and saw way more people than I'd like ahead for such a small race, but happens with the putrid T1. Tucked into aero and kept the power on as the early going was quite flat. A little hill at the end of the south leg that was steeper than expected near the top. Another gear would have been nice there. Fog was still hanging around in spots and had to slow more for the first turn. Couldn't pick out all the details.

Onto the westbound leg on the south side, still not seeing my brother so figured he was moving well. Caught up to him part way through this one. Hills late on this part were easier than expected. Though harder to see exactly where the corner was after the downhill flattened out.

Northbound west side had the majority of the hills. Pushed well here, but began to get sick. Actually threw up at one point. Another gear would have been nice in here as well. Pushed it some as I knew the next section was mostly a long downhill.

And the north side definitely was very fast. Over 40 again on the fastest part, and mapped out doing a 5k section in 6:13 (29.6 mph average). Came up to transition not quite sure how I was feeling. Stomach was still off but legs didn't seem any worse than other events I've run well in.

Still ended up with the fastest bike split on 312 AP / 320 NP.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Just went steady through T1, hoping the lack of effort put out would help calm my stomach. Too many bikes in here with ~5. Another guy came in just behind me and slipped ahead going out to the run.
Run
  • 22m 19s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 28s  min/km
Comments:

Felt awful going out on the run. Wasn't sure I really wanted to do it. Actually took several walk breaks as stomach was really upset. Slight improvement after the first mile, but needed another break at the turn-around. At this point even Cagle caught up and saw my brother not too far behind. Things cleared up enough to keep running at this point and just took it slow. Kept on improving and able to push the pace into mid 6's. Held there until near the finish and picked it up some more so no one would come sneaking around, but had put a decent sized gap into the few behind me.

Sister was having a great race as she saw me coming in just as she was starting the run. Really excited not seeing anyone ahead of me, but didn't realize there were like 6 guys a few minutes before she'd missed.
What would you do differently?:

Not get sick on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

I finished well and caught my breath while the others came in. Brother slipped ahead of Cagle somewhere in the last couple hundred (again).

Just chatted with people for a little while, waiting for everyone else to come in. Sister is getting the hang of things, breaking under 25 on the run. I had wondered about the hills on the bike course for her, but she loved it. Way more than at Irongirl. Too flat and boring there. The other two came in later, happy to get through it. Think they enjoyed it, but not sure how much tri specific they'll be. Tough for all 3 of them to get any regular swimming in.

Event comments:

Like the race. Fun atmosphere. Beginner friendly too, but also can draw a few fast people.

Last updated: 2014-08-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:24 | 440 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 0/269
Performance:
Suit:
Course: L-shaped course, point to point.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:24
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:34:04 | 14 miles | 24.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/14
Overall: 1/269
Performance:
Wind:
Course: 1 loop. Adjusted from previous years due to last minute construction that came up.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:19 | 05 kms | 04m 28s  min/km
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 0/269
Performance:
Course: Out and back. Near part limestone trail, far part roads.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2014-09-18 12:15 AM

Master
Northern IL
Subject: Sugar River Triathlon

2014-09-18 8:34 AM
in reply to: #5051505

User image

Veteran
Dayton
Subject: RE: Sugar River Triathlon

Great bike leg!  You know you're pumping hard when you have to puke.

2014-09-18 8:34 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Nicely done. Congrats on racing with the family, that is so cool. And how cool is it that your sis is getting the hang of it?!?!

2014-09-18 12:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Solid splits!  Do you think you pushed too hard on the bike, causing the stomach issues?  Or were you coming down with something and your body decided that'd be a good time to let you know?

2014-09-18 12:38 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Solid splits!  Do you think you pushed too hard on the bike, causing the stomach issues?  Or were you coming down with something and your body decided that'd be a good time to let you know?

Probably not too hard in itself, but taking in some lake water, and being so far over in aero while pushing that hard likely had something to do with it. I had been on the road bike all year to this point and the tri position is much more aggressive. Wasn't really used to that yet.

2014-09-18 1:22 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Nice race! I'm glad that you had fun and that you were able to recruit some new triathletes! 

2014-09-18 2:13 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Crazy fast bike, Ben!  Congrats to you and your family, good races by all!

2014-09-18 5:25 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Congrats on another podium! Sux that you didn't feel well but sounds like you were flying on the bike!

Nice job!

2014-09-20 7:45 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master

Top ten OA/first AG despite stomach issues? Cool that you didn't give up even though "didn't matter anyway".

2014-09-20 7:51 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Way to go, Ben!!  That bike leg--wow just wow.  That was clearly a big part of winning 1st AG with some walking and a stupid stuck earplug in T1.  Way to rock it!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sugar River Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sugar Tri Kidz Triathlon

Started by cat fish
Views: 1207 Posts: 11

2007-10-25 9:19 PM tri4good

Nokia Sugar Bowl Triathlon

Started by georgialaw
Views: 1167 Posts: 4

2005-06-07 6:12 AM H13

Started by joannh13
Views: 1706 Posts: 4

2005-06-04 10:10 AM TypeA Girl Pilot

Started by Manatee Express
Views: 927 Posts: 5

2005-05-30 7:09 AM Manatee Express

Nokia Sugar Bowl Triathlon - New Orleans

Started by H13
Views: 1929 Posts: 6

2005-05-30 9:52 AM Lucy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 31, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 5
Is giving into cravings necessarily a bad thing?

date : June 29, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on losing weight during half Ironman training, high sugar fruits to avoid, and the Paleo diet.
date : July 9, 2009
Time and again, athletes repeatedly ask questions about sugar, protein, supplements, caffeine, carbs, recovery, and body fat. These answers will help you resolve confusing nutrition issues.

date : June 17, 2008
Sport drinks replenish what is lost during exercise, such as electrolytes, water, sugar, while energy drinks are designed to provide a boost in energy.
date : May 9, 2007
After a hard workout, I really like having a Coke or Pepsi. How bad is this for recovery and for my health? Should I stop drinking orange juice because it is loaded with (fattening) carbs and sugar?

date : September 4, 2006
author : AMSSM
Athletes with diabetes can exercise and compete at a high level. Exercise can help control blood sugars, particularly in Type 2 diabetics, but it can also worsen them if you are not in good control.
date : July 3, 2006
As we speak, a team of scientists, biochemists and nutritionists are performing experiments on the upcoming revolutionary product for improving your athletic performance.

date : June 5, 2006
Some athletes wisely devour lots of fruit, believing it to be among the healthiest of food choices. But other athletes mistakenly avoid fruit, seeing it as an evil source of sugar and carbs.