General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Glasses v Contacts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-09-18 6:05 AM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Subject: Glasses v Contacts
I did do a quick search and came up with nil...

I ran 2 sprints this year. 1 with glasses and one with contacts. Overall, for me, the contacts were a better experience (except for being able to see what was in the water, ewwwww) as I could see where I was going while swimming, and sunglasses made the bike and run more comfortable.

The issue I'm having is that I am not comfortable wearing contacts at work. As an auto tech, I'm dealing with dirt, dust and chemicals all day, and safety glasses do not stop everything.

So, after all that, I'm looking to find out what everyone who needs vision correction does. Contacts? Rx Sunglasses and/or Goggles? LASIK isn't an option due to cost as well as I'm not sure I could handle watching the procedure either. Fun Fact: Valium and other pharmaceuticals that generally calm you down have the opposite effect on me. Made a certain elective surgery to prevent a fifth child rather... interesting...

2014-09-18 6:14 AM
in reply to: #5051516

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Glasses v Contacts
Contacts!

Wear them as much as you can.

I made the switch in 9th grade. Only been one week since then I had to wear glasses. Wear them all the time.

But if your just starting out, it can be an adjustment.
2014-09-18 6:17 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
I wear contacts if I'm racing or riding my bike; for swimming or running, I normally just have my glasses unless I will be riding that day. I don't worry about prescription goggles in the pool as I can make out the pace clock if I squint and I usually run early morning or later evening so sunglasses aren't really a concern there.

Shane
2014-09-18 6:48 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Contacts for me.  Corrective  vision goggles are out there, but I found the quality lacking.  

I wear disposable ones for swimming and have longer wear lenses to change into post swim.  Race days I just wear the disposable ones all race and change them once I get to shower.

2014-09-18 7:16 AM
in reply to: Nick B

I have -7.0 vision. I also have dry eyes so contacts and lasiks is not an option. The have corrective lens goggles for swimming. for running an biking I have Rec-Specs with the transition lenses.
2014-09-18 8:12 AM
in reply to: #5051517

User image

, North Carolina
I just wanted to add that you said you dont wear them at work because of dust, dirt, and chemicals. While not my job I do quite a bit of that type of work. Woodworking, welding, grinding, o/a cutting, painting. Ive never had my contacts make any thing in my eye worse. There are a few chemicals out there that will melt contacts but if your using those you would know it. Ive splashed myself in the face with brake cleaner and havent had any contact issues. If youre wearing saftey glasses like you should the chances of the contacts creating a problem above and beyond what would have normally happen is slim.

Dirt in the eye sucks with or without contacts.

2014-09-18 8:17 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

I've worn glasses/contacts for the better part of 30 years.  Other than being too lazy to put them in, I've worn contacts for every athletic endeavor I've ever done, training or racing. 

2014-09-18 8:20 AM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Extreme Veteran
What about prescription goggles for the swim? I believe they have some that aren't that much more expensive than regular goggles. Just save them for race day.
2014-09-18 9:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
I've worn glasses since fifth grade and have never gotten into the whole touching-my-eyeball thing, so have never tried contacts. (My eyes are pretty bad, anyway.)

I do have prescription sunglasses which I wear almost exclusively for training and racing. Plus, on race day I leave them in my helmet in transition and wear my regular glasses before the swim start, instead of having to hope the race has a glasses table/area or whatever coming out of the water.

I don't have prescription goggles but I do have the ones you can order online to match your general correction, like reading glasses. They work well enough to get me in, through and out of the water to my bike.

Are you looking for an option for when you train before or after work? Meaning, you don't want to wear contacts for an hour and then take them out when you get to the shop?
2014-09-18 9:41 AM
in reply to: jmcconne

Originally posted by jmcconne

What about prescription goggles for the swim? I believe they have some that aren't that much more expensive than regular goggles. Just save them for race day.

You can get goggles with corrective lenses for less than $10. They are not custom based upon your specific prescription but rather just based upon the one number. For example one of my eyes is -7 and the other -7.25. If was getting glasses each eye would be different as well as other measurements. But for these goggles both lenses are -7 and no other measurements are taken into account. I assume that I could get actual prescription goggles but they would be expensive.

I have both of these
http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/sporti-antifog-optical-pro-ii-goggle-22...
http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/sporti-antifog-s2-optical-goggle-22598/...
2014-09-18 9:53 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I've been wearing contacts since high school.  I currently wear single-day disposable soft lenses for training and racing.  No problems at all with them.  I especially like the disposable lenses since I don't have to mess with all the cleaning and soaking solutions.

However I'm at an age where I need reading glasses for close work, so I started wearing bifocal glasses to the office a few years ago to avoid the hassle of putting readers on and off all day.

Mark

2014-09-18 10:11 AM
in reply to: Sidney Porter

User image

Denver, CO

I got contacts specifically because I wanted to do tris and my eyesight is so bad.  Without glasses/contacts, I can't even see if there is someone in a pool lane so there's no way I'd be able to manage an OWS.  With soft lenses, there's very little need for getting used to them and you could easily wear your glasses at work but contacts while you're training and racing.  Usually when you start out, the eye doctor gives you a 2-week supply to make sure they feel okay and are the right prescription.  An added bonus is that you can buy cheaper sunglasses instead of prescription ones.

2014-09-18 10:23 AM

User image

Oakville

I'm a -4.5 in both eyes so I do need eye correction all the time.

For races, I have always worn my contacts with sunglasses on the bike and the run.

I have prescription goggles and prescription sunglasses, but have never used them for a race (always bring as back up just in case, but never needed them).

I had a few races in the rain this year and at a few times during the bike had to look over my sunglasses to see clearly.  I couldn't have done that with my prescription sunglasses or regular glasses.  

2014-09-18 10:29 AM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Pro

Contacts for 40 years.....I don't even own glasses.

2014-09-18 10:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have keratoconus and I have to wear rigid gas permeable contact lenses. Small hard piece of plastic that allows me to see 20/20. Without them, I'm blind. About $500 a pair. I lose one and I'm screwed. So, I feel your pain when there is dust and dirt.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Glasses v Contacts Rss Feed