General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength Training on Rest Day? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-09-20 8:52 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Strength Training on Rest Day?
REST day… you should recover and rest. If you want to get anything out of the strength training you need to put something in. If you're not feeling it the day after, then you didn't put enough into it. In other words, not a good idea!

2014-09-20 9:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: RE: Strength Training on Rest Day?
Since aesthetics was brought up, thought I'd chime in. Turning 40 in few months; spent 20 of those years in hardcore natural bodybuilding. Competed 3 times. Stayed clean the whole while. That is my foundation and true love. I have that "magazine ready physique mentality"
That said, I have always stayed athletic and have since moved into duathlon/aquathlon/sprint tri. Quality muscular strength with flexibility makes any endeavor all the more possible and really maintains bone density, tendonous strength and ligament strength. Well documented and mentioned in this thread, how wonderful this is in injury prevention and even recovery capacity.

Thing is, to do tri work AND weight training that is not only therapeutic and preventative, but building and aesthetically geared is a serious balancing act.
To achieve physique work and tri event improvement simultaneously is very much possible but will take longer because muscles NEED rest for strength and fullness to be maintained. Many people in the tri world won't care about this because it's mostly performance numbers/times and serious volume.
All of which can sap muscle over time, unless, adequate strength/weight training is done (and hard mind you) with NECESSARY recovery time. This also depends on what the overall goal is and when you desire to reach it.
There's:
1) strength training for maintenance and basic strength to be able to do other things (bike/run/swim/general life etc)
and then there's
2) hard weight training to build or maintain muscle you've got while defining it and chiseling it out to look great....whiiiiile accomplishing #1 as well
Both work, but the latter will make tri progress slower & dragged out over time

Age and amount of sleep have a major impact on recovery as well. (not to mention genetics)

PS, I could've just gone with my original post and said:
REST DAY = Massage & 30 minutes in Epsom soak

Edited by TJHammer 2014-09-20 9:35 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strength Training on Rest Day? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

rest days/rest weeks

Started by disturbed
Views: 2115 Posts: 14

2010-10-25 8:49 AM 1stTimeTri

Explain it to me- Training tired and sore- no rest days Pages: 1 2

Started by KSH
Views: 3700 Posts: 41

2009-08-17 8:04 PM Rad-Onc PA

Heavy Training, Rest Days And Depression/Tired

Started by supa-powa
Views: 1973 Posts: 9

2009-07-20 2:59 PM BlueGreen

Vegan Training & Energy for the Rest of the Day

Started by VikingMom
Views: 1015 Posts: 14

2007-06-12 12:46 PM Colomingle

20-wk HIM training plan: rest days??

Started by puellasolis
Views: 924 Posts: 16

2007-03-29 12:42 PM puellasolis
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 31, 2012
author : TINKARRA
comments : 0
Most of the races are flat here, but I live in the area where I could do hilly rides with 1500-2000m of climbing. Is there much benefit with that if I am racing flat?

date : July 7, 2012
author : alicefoeller
Is strength training critical for a triathlete? How can strength training help an athlete improve performance? What are the downsides?
date : May 22, 2012
author : Andy Sloan
comments : 2
This article looks into the types of exercises triathletes need to be utilizing, and why traditional methods are of little use.

date : April 27, 2012
author : Andy Sloan
comments : 5
An insight into how to train strength and condition for triathlon and endurance sports success
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : December 4, 2007
author : mrakes1
A quick and easy 20 minute at home strength training workout. This is a freeweight workout, so only a few dumbbells are needed.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
comments : 1
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.